Netflix Originals: Orange Is The New Black

trenchcoatpanda

Orange is the New Black season 1

Anybody else catch this on Netflix? I'm three episodes in and thought it was pretty funny with some great drama. I really enjoyed Weeds, so to see the creator of that do this and keep that level of dark humor is great. I also like the Lost thing going on where each episode revolves around an inmate. Post your thoughts if ya got them!

So maybe this won't be everyone's cup of tea here, but I have to give a shout out to the new Netflix original series, Orange is the New Black. It's loosely based on a memoir of the same name about a woman who spent a year in prison for her past of money laundering. The show is produced by Jenji Kohan of Weeds fame. Kate Mulgrew also appears in the main cast as "Red," the Russian head of the prison kitchen.

It's beautifully written, shot, and edited. The episodes flash back and forth between the present and the past, so you get to know all the characters really well. And all of the characters are really treated respectfully, which is a difficult thing to do when they're all felons. It's got a nice balance between comedic and dramatic, and really delves into a lot of issues surrounding prison and prison culture.

Check it out if you've got Netflix streaming. Between this and House of Cards, they've been getting behind some awesome original projects.

Yeah, I was big fan of Weeds, even stuck all the way till the end. So, I was excited to check out this show since it was done by the same creator. The previews on TV make it look more like a drama, but it had just that great mix of drama and humor. I wonder if Jason Biggs will be back or if he's not needed anymore after what happened. Also I loved how they pulled a LOST type story telling so we got to learn more about all the inmates.

Last edited:
Me and my girlfriend sat down to watch this, I wasn't expecting it to draw me in like it did! Finished the season in 2 days, it was fantastic!.. word of warning though, there are a LOT of boobs, so best wait till the kids are in bed.

Interesting. The previews made me completely uninterested in watching this, but seeing how many people here are enjoying it might make me have to give it a shot. I loved House of Cards, absolutely hate Hemlock Grove and found the new Arrested Development a bit ho-hum... so Netflix is still worth giving a chance.

I loved this show. Rarely do you see anything that really explores the relationships between women like this. Heck, even weeds was a show about a woman surrounded by men

Watched the first episode, hooked already. I was amused to see that the lead lady is who played Dagny Taggart in the first "Atlas Shrugged" movie.

I loved this show. Rarely do you see anything that really explores the relationships between women like this. Heck, even weeds was a show about a woman surrounded by men

This kind of goes without saying but if you want more of that type of thing, watch The L Word. It's... mostly realistic.

Loved season 1, it had a good balance of humor and drama, along with insight to such diverse range of characters. I am looking forward to this new season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how I missed this thread. My wife wanted to watch this series (on a friend's recommendation), & I had NO interest whatsoever.

Having said that, we both watched the entire first season over the course of about 10 days, & we both enjoyed it thoroughly. I was totally shocked by that.

Can't wait for Season 2, & hope they can continue with the winning formula. :thumbsup

All I seen about this show was women gushing over how good it was all over facebook so I decided to watch it and see what all the buzz was about. Very good show, addicting. I watched season one in 2 days and already am on Season 2.

I just finished both seasons in about 2 weeks. It's so incredibly good, I have no words to describe how amazing this show is. That season 2 finale was such an awesome BANG to go out on.

Who else was rooting for Rosa to run Vi over at the end of the episode? hahaha I kept laughing and yelling "GO ROSA, GO!" at my computer, and then "DO IT DO IT RUN THE BITCH DOWN!" I hope they allow Rosa to just stay out and call it another "compassionate release" seeing as how she's going to die in a few weeks anyway.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back