Nerf Gun Props? YES!

I just checked the Defiance game, and I barely saw anything at the weapons seller units that looked close to the Nerf gun I got. Maybe I didn't find it because of the fact that I don't have the level for the higher end weapons (which I recently purchased a Tier 3 Lockbox which gave me some weapons that weren't even in the weapons sellers). So, if there's anyone who plays Defiance happens to find a gun that looks like the one I got could be used as a base for, let me know (take some screencaps in the weapons seller unit's view mode).

But, it's looking more and more like I may be doing an non-media-based mod.

You folks... have inspired me!

Question... air brushed?

I use a very simple process for my repaints: I rub the weapon down with steel wool, then I wipe it down with a damp rag and let dry. Then it's Rustoleum spray paint as a base layer (the stuff they claim sticks to plastic), then I hand-paint details, grips, etc. and drybrush, usually using silver (or copper if I'm going for a steampunk look), along the steel/copper parts and highlights and areas where painted metal would get wear, then I give the whole weapon a wash of burnt umber ink mixed half and half with water, letting it get really well into cracks and interior edges. Then I gently rub the ink off, leaving an almost invisible layer of ink over the whole weapon. After that, I use a clear satin finish and I'm done. Works like a charm.

The only tricky bit is the drybrushing. Too much paint on the brush can really mess things up. Most of the repaints I see that look bad have been drybrushed with a brush that had too much paint on it. The trick is to get the brush so dry that it almost seems like there's no paint at all going onto the weapon.

I'm also a big believer in NOT adding battle damage to weapons. In reality, small arms simply don't get damaged by bullets, scarred by swords or dented by shrapnel. Real weapons exhibit wear from simple everyday use - revolvers get wear on the cylinder, edges get scuffed, etc. That's about it.

Last edited:
"Jack Harper Rifle" from Oblivion

Based on a Nerf Stryfe. It is entirely functional and has build specs far superior to a stock gun. Shrouds and optic were fabricated from PVC sheet from pipe unrolled and flattened with a heat gun. Flashlight is not the correct and incredibly costly Oveready, just a cheap Coast direct drive 3xAAA triple LED light with a PVC bezel/mount, in keeping with the low cost nerf nature of the build.

Accuracy is decent. The grip and lower receiver obviously does not match the original Masada-based prop, but it can be thought of as representing a hypothetical 7.62mm version of this rifle, having a straight-cut and longer magwell. A custom 4 round nerf mag is used for the same flush-fit appearance as the 10 rounder in the film. There are also a lot of little details (flash hider diameter, shroud width) that couldn't quite match with the nerf base, but I do think I got something right that others haven't, and that is the shroud height and vent hole geometry which are critical cues to making an OR "look right".

Currently mostly complete, needs paint touchups, sling mounts and graphics.

WOW I am amazed, great work

Get this: I went to Home Depot and bought a short piece of PVC piping to use to make the stock. Went to another thrift store in my area and found an Airsoft rifle stock for only $2. Bought it an it looks like it can work better than building one. Just got to figure out how to attach it.

That was an excellent find! I'd say anything related to a game that you enjoy would be really cool. Since part were missing, that's the perfect opportunity to make some of your own :) I wouldn't worry about keeping it functional, just have fun with the project!

Very nice work on those! It's definitely possible to make the mav function without the stock frame, but you would have to make sure to keep everything lined up so that the air is forced into the correct chamber. Also, some kind of arm would be needed to keep the front of the cylinder straight unless you devise a way to keep it straight by reinforcing the rear (which is something I've not attempted, so I don't have specific advice on that, sorry)

Good luck and I wish you the best with your props!

Thanks so much especially for the information on the Mavs. I'm going to keep trying to make a functional Mav without the barrel frame....more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

if you can mate/mount/secure the barrel to the hexagon 'gear' that is used in the 'trigger & rotation' motion.. you might be able to cut any frame/support away.

example:
(disclaimer: link to my build)
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-first-nerf-gun-mod-lots-pics-164965/#post3009073

I mounted the modified and mounted the hexagon gear to a motor so I could spin the barrel...

if I made that permanently secured tot he barrel (and not have the motor stuff).. if sturdy enough, wouldnt nee any upper/lower barrel support.

or maybe better yet..

take the long PIN that goes from the front of the barrel, into the orange piece of plastic (the spacer that holds the front barrel up/in-place).. and replace with a longer maybe 1inch more..you could run the barrel (like it does now) ..but keep going to mount to the orange hexagon gear that mates to the barrel..

creating a 'sandwich' of sorts to mount the barrel to the hexagon/gear piece.

good luck!

if you can mate/mount/secure the barrel to the hexagon 'gear' that is used in the 'trigger & rotation' motion.. you might be able to cut any frame/support away.

example:
(disclaimer: link to my build)
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-first-nerf-gun-mod-lots-pics-164965/#post3009073

I mounted the modified and mounted the hexagon gear to a motor so I could spin the barrel...

if I made that permanently secured tot he barrel (and not have the motor stuff).. if sturdy enough, wouldnt nee any upper/lower barrel support.

or maybe better yet..

take the long PIN that goes from the front of the barrel, into the orange piece of plastic (the spacer that holds the front barrel up/in-place).. and replace with a longer maybe 1inch more..you could run the barrel (like it does now) ..but keep going to mount to the orange hexagon gear that mates to the barrel..

creating a 'sandwich' of sorts to mount the barrel to the hexagon/gear piece.

good luck!

You are awesome! I love your ideas with the electronics. Great mod!
I am def gonna try this! Thanks for the hexagon gear ideas.... Stay tuned. I might be bugging you for your suggestions if and when I get stuck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BTW here's a picture of my Nerf gun and stock. I've taken apart the handle and have kept it in the picture so to show what I'm thinking about doing with it. I haven't fully disassemble it to remove the inner parts, haven't made any additional exterior modifications and I still need a grip for under the barrel and to paint it.

The parts:

IMG_3770A.jpg

Now, I originally bought a piece of PVC piping to use for my shoulder stock (this was before I found the shoulder stock pictured) and I was going to use the pump action handle as a part of the stock so to keep the design consistent. But since I have the shoulder stock, I've toyed around with making the pump action handle I've taken off the gun as a tactical scope of some sort (which will have to have part of it cut off to slide onto the top bar). I've sort of photoshopped the parts together to give a bit of an idea on what it may look like so far (including if I went with the idea of using the handle as a tactical scope). I don't know if I'll go with the handle as a tactical scope or not. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_3770B.jpg

Excellent work guys! (xl97, you're always welcome to link to other threads if they're as well put together as yours, bud)

I hope you guys know that seeing all your work inspires me a lot. I love seeing the ingenuity and it's easy to get tunnel vision when a lot of my work is commissions where I don't get a lot of say over the design. I just finished acquiring the last few machines I feel I've needed to be dangerous, so I hope to have some more unique stuff up soon.

Keep up the great work!

Here's a few cosplay photos I thought you guys might enjoy (ie: well done costumes) and a few WIPS :)

Christine Tellifson Jayne Cobb Cosplay 2.jpgimage-1.jpegIMG_0965.JPGIMG_0963.JPGIMG_0961.JPG

thanks!

Im curious.... what machines do you collect/need in this type of 'scene'?

usually (for me) people are wanting to get lathes/mills/laser cutters..etc..

but I dont see those being on your list for mod'ing nerf guns.. ? :)

thanks!

-xl

thanks!

Im curious.... what machines do you collect/need in this type of 'scene'?

usually (for me) people are wanting to get lathes/mills/laser cutters..etc..

but I dont see those being on your list for mod'ing nerf guns.. ? :)

thanks!

-xl

It does sound a bit much, doesn't it? The main reason is that I started out doing the nerf customs as a hobby and over the past 4 years it's branched into a lot of other types of work for me. Unfortunately a lot of that work places me under NDA (Non-disclosure Agreements) and I don't get to mention them. It's a bit of a bummer, but those jobs are what really pay the bills. The nerf props are great and they keep me entertained, but the honest fact is that there's no way to make a living customizing and painting nerf guns alone. I have found that on average you can make maybe $30/hr, but you have taxes, materials and other substantial overhead which whittle away at that money. My commercial rate is currently quite a bit higher than that, but it's not a steady 40hrs a week. The nerf props help bridge the gap between large projects. It's also something that gives me a reason to get into the shop every day, which eventually leads to more stuff getting done :)

As for what I use, here's a short list of the larger equipment

Pressure chamber (for casts and moulds)
Drill press
Table Saw
Band Saw
Compound Miter Saw
Scroll Saw
Disk/Barrel Sander
Vacuform table
3D Printer
CNC Lathe/Machine (this work gets farmed out)

I'm sure there's a few things I omitted, but I didn't mean to make you read a laundry list, hehe. I hope it will be found useful by anyone looking to get into this kind of work :)

not a laundry list at all.. I'm always interested in other peoples 'shops' and tooling..

and I hear ya about freelance work and NDA (web designer/developer here.. and have done many NDA stuff that I wish I could put in my portfolio..etc)

I have a nice assortment of tools/tooling..

nothing for making molds/casts though.. (which Id like to start getting into though to be honest)

vacuforming table would be a nice addition too...

no 3D printer.. but I cant really model anyways. LOL

lathe
mill
drill press
bandsaw
chop saw
grinder
buffing wheel
powder coating system
welder
sanders belt/disk

tons of hand tools..
tons of electronics stuff too.. (more my focal point) :)

but always good to see what others use for their craft.. get familiar.. (keep an eye out) :)

thanks!

Id really (really) like to get a laser cutter added to the arsenal..

You definitely know what I mean then! One thing I have learned is that we all can be really good at a few things and teaming up with folks who have their own set of skills is the way to make something greater than any one individual can accomplish. Electronics is an excellent example because I detest soldering. I resist using resistors. You know what I mean, haha. If you're ever interested in a collaboration feel free to email me at johnsonarms76@gmail.com. The only requirement I have is that work is done as quickly as possibly without compromising quality. I always have a need for wiring LEDs and soundboards, but my bp Jason gets overwhelmed with his own projects and I often have to hold off on new ideas :/

Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

I couldnt agree more sir. :)

Same goes for you... any new ideas are welcome! (always looking for cool projects or ideas to develop)
I do have a family/full time job, but I have done and still freelance work all the time, so I know how to give a deadline and have things 'completed' by then. ;)

Adobe/Microsoft..HealthCare industry...etc..etc.. they dont care 'why'.. if a deadline is set (its gotta be done!) HAHA..

I prefer to team up with another/others..as the communication and idea sharing/sparking really keeps me motivated to get things done.

my next 'project' is actually a Republic Command DC-17 gun.. client sent me his gun/kit.. its a 'WOODCHUCK' prop. (if anyone knows about him?)
anyways... not really nerf, but electronics are blaster related. :)

muzzle flash
semi & full auto modes
3-digit 7-segment display (counter)
30 x SMD led barGraph in the magazine.

should be fun!

*No NDA on this one.. haha

always willing to help!

take care
-Jerry

Hello all, First of all, I've been stalking these forums, this thread particularly, Since 2011, And i must say all of you guys are really inspiring so, I went and purchased tools to get in on the modding business, So without further adue. ill show you my project!!
Nerf gun in box wip.JPG
I picked these up at my local dollar general for about 5$, looked like a good deal so i figured, Why not?
Nerf gun in box (side view.JPG
My Plans for these little buggers is to convert one into a "Blade Runner" looking pistol and the other one into a Clone Trooper pistol, Keep in mind i'm not the best painter, ive only painted things like this
FILE0426.JPG
so please bear with me lol,
WIP:
Nerf gun painted wip.JPG
So iv'e sanded it and painted it black, i will be doing the brown (Wooden grip) tomorrow, As well as other "Blade Runner" ish additions, Once more, Thanks for the inspiration JohnsonArms and other contributors, Also if there's anything wrong with my posts, please let me know as i'm new to RPF, Thanks!
Wishing all the best-Steve

Last edited:
Very good start, Steve! I'm glad to see you put some thought into what you wanted to accomplish with them before you started. That will always help ya as you go through the different steps of the process. I wish you well and I'll look forward to seeing how they come out!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back