Need Input on Bespoke Measurements

Dave Ward

Sr Member
Most of the online vendors/costumiers out there ask customers to measure themselves, and then they extrapolate the correct sizing for the garment. Now, while I hardly regret a penny I’ve spent on this weird hobby of ours, I am beginning to resent the money spent at the local alteration shop for fixes on mail-order garments that just don’t fit.

Here are my questions. Who here provides measurements from garments as well as their own body measurements when they order custom clothes online? And does anyone have a good guide to measuring pre-existing garments? The one I found online had some advice for suits like sleeve and chest but didn’t go into more detail.

The reason I ask is that I'm working with a well-known vendor at the moment, and I feel like I'm getting a bit of push-back having provided them with a couple of measurements from my own clothes. Could just be my imagination, but I don't want to have to take another trip to the local tailors.

Best advice I can give is go to a men's store and ask them to measure you. Many will do it at no charge and they know what measurements to make and the proper way to do it.

Alternatively, find a tailor's shop. The ones who do your alterations could probably do it as well.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back