Need Help with Necronomicon Replica

Bladeswitch

Putting together a homage to H.P. Lovecraft, I am struggling to source materials for my Necronomicon. What I am specifically looking for is Hinges and hasps to make it look really mid-evil and gothic (I don't like the version from the evil dead movies) Another problem is that I am trying to make it small about 3x5 I have the leather cover worked out but I really want some ornate metal hinges and a hasp to lock it (I have an awesome small antique lock) any advice or source are greatly appreciated.

Look at Victorian photo albums on eBay. Their hinges and clasps could be repurposed nicely and maybe the whole spine/covers unit. "How to Haunt Your House, vol 3," has a nice tutorial on converting these to grimoires, if memory serves. These are great books on prop making and available on Amazon.

Thank you for the sources. I am starting to see my vision come into focus. I will start posting my build soon and there has been a slight change in plans I am going to call it my necronomicon journal, I will write how I learned of the book and my different literary experiances with it. No spells or incantations this is a homage to H.P. not some goth kid that pissed off at his parents (LOL).

You might also want to check out the jewelry and scrapbooking aisles at your local craft stores. I use this guy's stuff for my pseudo Victorian display cases but a cheaper option might be making them out of cardstock and just finishing them to look like real metal like here

I know most people use Evil Dead as reference to the Necronomicon, but I thought I'd give some pictures from The Dunwich Horror (1970). Don't know if it will help any, but I've always liked this book better.

3.png4.png1.pngvlcsnap-2014-09-17-12h29m27s90.png

Propnomicon is a great resource for Lovecraftian props. There are quite a few tomes there that you can use for inspiration and ideas.

I have used some of the fonts from that site in a number of my projects.

You should probably check the "Tomecraft" section.

Wow thank you all for the help and inspiration, now I am actually going to do two books one small for my HP relic box and one large one for my Halloween costume/ Cosplay . I will be going as Cthulhu in an old fashioned tux top hat tails spatz the whole nine yards and I will speak with a british accent (I always imagined Cthulhu speaking with a british accent).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back