Need help with DST Star Trek phaser upgrade

CmdrWilliamB

OK, I'm really new at the prop building/modifying thing, so bare with me.

Long ago, I purchased a Diamond Select Toys' Star Trek phaser with the intent of upgrading it with metal components (via Jon Paul Trek). Working on the P1, I have no idea how to set the metal side rails between the two halves of the shell. While I've watched a number of differently videos documenting the upgrade of the P1, none seem to cover this clearly. For example:
  1. I am I correct in assuming that one or both halves of the shell need to be "notched" to accommodate the added thickness of the side rails (and if only one half, I'd assume that this would be the top half of the shell as this was the one where the molder plastic rail were; and have since been sanded off)?
  2. Once (if) notched, how does one account for the tab molded into the left side of the top half which, once assembled, also fills the hole in the bottom half of the shell?
With my thanks is advance,
Cmdr Billy B.

OK, I'm really new at the prop building/modifying thing, so bare with me.

Long ago, I purchased a Diamond Select Toys' Star Trek phaser with the intent of upgrading it with metal components (via Jon Paul Trek). Working on the P1, I have no idea how to set the metal side rails between the two halves of the shell. While I've watched a number of differently videos documenting the upgrade of the P1, none seem to cover this clearly. For example:
  1. I am I correct in assuming that one or both halves of the shell need to be "notched" to accommodate the added thickness of the side rails (and if only one half, I'd assume that this would be the top half of the shell as this was the one where the molder plastic rail were; and have since been sanded off)?
  2. Once (if) notched, how does one account for the tab molded into the left side of the top half which, once assembled, also fills the hole in the bottom half of the shell?
With my thanks is advance,
Cmdr Billy B.

Yes you have to cut the old plastic rail out, to make room for the metal ones, people use putty or bondo to fill the tab on the left.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back