Need Help - TNG - DS9 Carry cases ect

Here are a few cases I have made in the past using the base cases. I tried to stay true to the original Starfleet style, but used a bit of creative freedom.

Terry

Last edited:
One episode had Data landing on a planet to tell the inhabitants they had to leave b/c it was a contested planet. Only Data could go as he wasn't affected by the radiation.

But his shuttle crashes, and he has this box he carries about containing 'dangerous' materials.

The box he carried is a US ammo box made of very dense & heavy plastic.
Years ago someone posted what it was, & I picked up one at a gun show.

Hopefully someone here can remember what episode & more details.

You just combined two different episodes...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Ensigns_of_Command_(episode)
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Thine_Own_Self_(episode)

It's an easy mistake though.

What did you use to make your silver/chrome labels..Such as the okudogram and the starfleet emblem?

I made my labels up myself. The Starfleet emblems are hand cut brushed silver, brushed gold and white vinyl (that is why sometimes they are a bit off) and the okudagrams are just stuff I made up. I used the correct Helvetica-Ultra font (the same one used by the show) for the front label and the back label is just a smaller version of a large equipment label I found on line. I printed the lettering on clear label paper, then put it on the silver or gold vinyl to make the labels. I don't have the proper printer to actually print on the vinyl, so that worked out best. They turn out pretty good.

Terry

So if i understand you correctly, you stenciled the silver and gold vinyl to make the letters? I have been wondering how the heck i'm going to make words for some of the cases. If only printers could print white ink!!

I realize this is quite the necro-post, but I just came across this thread while browsing and wanted to post what I know about some of the cases used on set. I will be referencing Terry's most informative post back on Page 01 to detail what info I've come across:

Here are some pictures of some of the various cases in their natural form.

1 - Starfleet rations pack (seen in Insurrection) - Started life as a carrying case for a travel size, collapsible, hair dryer made by Conair.

2. Captain Picard's carrying case (seen in TNG episodes Starship Mine and Birthright, Part 1, as well as other DS9 episodes) - Started life as a CD carrying case called a "Clik!Case." Not sure if that is the name of the case or the manufacturer.

3. Geordi's Engineering case (seen in various TNG episodes including The Best of Both Worlds and Aquiel. -Started life as a cassette carrying case. No identifying markings on the case. I have seen them in black, grey and light blue.

4. Data's equipment case (seen in various TNG/DS9/Voyager episodes including TNG episode Booby Trap and Voyager episode Projections - Started life as a cassette carrying case. Made by the same manufacturer as the Geordi case, as they have the same spot in the middle of the front and back of the case for a logo. I have seen them in black, grey and light blue.

5. The Doctor's medical equipment case (seen in just about every episode the Doctor was in once he got to leave sick bay, including Revulsion. - Started life as a carrying case for a heavy duty soldering gun. The case has no markings on it, but one that I found that still had the soldering gun in it said it was from Sears.

All these cases were, of course, from the 80's or 90's, but none are still in production. I have found several over the past few years at thrift stores or garage sales. You can find them very rarely on ebay too.

Terry

2. "Clik! Case" was the brand name for this CD carry case, just saw one of these on eBay sell for $100.00 USD (they're that rare);

3. This was a "Dynasound Organizer" brand cassette carry case, called a "cassette tote case" by the manufacturer, designed to hold up to thirty (30) audio cassettes;

4. This too was a "Dynasound Organizer" brand cassette tote case, designed to hold up to fifteen (15) audio cassettes. This exact same style of case was also used by Nintendo for their original Gameboys and had special compartments inside for storing the small game cartridges;

5. The found item was originally a Weller 8200 Soldering Gun case, and unlike the other three styles above, is still easily obtainable on eBay, often complete with original soldering gun;

Thanks to what I've learned regarding the origins of these cases, I've been able to add the following to my own collection:

8m5p.jpg

Which I plan on detailing to resemble these screen-used cases:

nvf8.jpg

7lb9.jpg

lmby.jpg

z1vv.jpg

r5u7.jpg

I even got the small equipment labels custom made to go with each, so I just need to find the proper paints and vinyl pinstriping and they can get done up:

4u0o.jpg

6j5v.jpg

7nkr.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to detail the long, narrow "Dynasound Organizer" one as Data's equipment case or the VOY medical case, but I think I've got time to figure that one out :lol

What did the Picard Briefcase originally hold? Weird looking inside. I'm guessing audio cassette tapes?

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJIgFHSM(kErIBSeYWir-0Q~~60_1.JPG
    $T2eC16VHJIgFHSM(kErIBSeYWir-0Q~~60_1.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 201
  • $(KGrHqFHJBkFJvoT+gm4BSeYWeEWDw~~60_1.JPG
    $(KGrHqFHJBkFJvoT+gm4BSeYWeEWDw~~60_1.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 110
  • $(KGrHqEOKpgFJjUOhd0cBSeYW(,8Zg~~60_1.JPG
    $(KGrHqEOKpgFJjUOhd0cBSeYW(,8Zg~~60_1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 102
  • $(KGrHqZHJFMFJuz9,7y2BSeYWQ5Bjw~~60_1.JPG
    $(KGrHqZHJFMFJuz9,7y2BSeYWQ5Bjw~~60_1.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 113
Actually it was for CDs/DVDs IIRC. given the time frame kind of odd, so maybe it was cassette tapes...

Is that yours or did you copy those?

ok i know this thread is old but, yesterday i went to our local goodwill store and was looking around and found the black case that was the same type of case used as picard's briefcase. it holds cds.
IMG_20150319_002554_178.jpgIMG_20150319_002615_822.jpgIMG_20150319_002731_026.jpgIMG_20150319_004312_057.jpgIMG_20150319_005040_993.jpg

ok i know this thread is old but, yesterday i went to our local goodwill store and was looking around and found the black case that was the same type of case used as picard's briefcase. it holds cds.
View attachment 452980View attachment 452981View attachment 452982View attachment 452983View attachment 452984

That's a nice score, those have been out of production for decades. I imagine most were just thrown away. It also got repainted and used in the background of DS9 for a efw episodes.

also found a different one while looking at another second had shop for a dollar.
had the gameboy case for quite sometime.
IMG_20150319_091116_243.jpgIMG_20150319_091511_027.jpg
the gameboy case didn't have the sliding pieces when i got it. :unsure

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back