What is known about the Star Trek:TNG Cassette Case Tool Kit Prop?

Macrossmaster

pdvd002c.jpg

What is known about this case? What does the label say?

I know from a previous thread: it's a cassette case. It's painted Dove Gray. There is a single greeblie on the side, of undetermined origin.

I've found one, then lucked into the Dove Gray, now I want to figure out an easy and inexpensive way to easily turn these old cases into tool kits. Seems like a super easy prop for any trek fan, plus if you want, you can just trim some foam to fit ACTUAL tools into it LOL.

Wouldn't it be a kick to bring this thing out to fix your electrical outlets?

Awaiting your collective wisdom, RPF!

This is what I can offer. The picture of the inside I found in an old calender from 1995.

For my tool cases I simply used the term AWAY TEAM KIT as a text at the lower right part of the case.

Hope that helps

Dietrich

I wish I could tell you what type it is. It's a cassette case, and there's a logo, but no name of any type on it. I just recognized it by it's Star Trek connections at the Salvation Army.

I do plan on finishing it out as a complete case. The color gray and the foam are the most difficult to me, and now it gets tougher - looks like that interior is plastic with some formed cavities. I always thought it was standard foam.

I looked at some of the pics you posted, and had a hard time seeing thethickness of the case.

I can tell you that at least SOME of the TNG cases were Clik!Case cassette cases, or perhaps lunch boxes from that same manufacturer. (I cannot find the pic where I figured this out, sorry. It came from one of those "actual screen-used prop" sites, with Data carrying it on an Away Team, and I recognized it as a cassette case I had already purchased and modified to hold DVDs in my own space-saving plan.)

They have gone out of business.

BUT!

Their designs and names were purchased by a company called PlastiCase. They ARE still in business.

AND they still make the Clik! Cases, although I doubt very much if they make the cassette cases.

You can see them at this address:

PLASTIC CASES, Plastic case, Custom cases, Cases, Plastic carrying case and Equipment cases

I don't know that any of these (or perhaps their medium of heavy use cases) will be an exact match, but I would think almost any of them could be made to look like a "Starfleet Issue" kit with a little paint and decal work.

Good luck!

I purchase a case brand new at K Mart back when the show was still on the air. It was alreaady the correct gray color. Later they had black ones with the strips. Hope this helps.
Mark

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back