Need help getting started with perspex! (Need help asap, con is on Saturday)

ieneina

Hello all! I've got some beautiful orange tinted perspex (it's not opaque, it's see-through), I'm making an omni-blade for my Shepard cosplay and I have a few questions. Both my brothers have used it before and said I can heat it with a heat gun (evenly heating it of course) and then carefully bend it into the shape I need. Is this as easy as it seems? I also am so confused over what glue to use, I see solvent cement that is used to melt the plastic together but there's so many brands out there and I don't know which one to get! I need one where I can apply it to one side and press together, just because of the nature of the layering I have to do on the omni-blade. Can I use super-glue? Some people say it's okay but others say it reacts and makes it all frosted which is the last thing I want D: Also I'll be using a jigsaw to cut it, I have plastic cutting blades for it which have a fine tooth, any advice I should heed when cutting it?
So in brief:
  • Can I heat it with a heatgun making sure I'm slow and evenly heat it?
  • What solvent cement is best and dries clear?
  • Can I use superglue?
  • Any advice for cutting it with a jigsaw?
  • Any other general advice for perspex too is very appreciated
Thank you!

With heat it becomes very easy to bend and very easy to leave marks on, you will also need to hold it in place while it cools.

If you're in the states, weld-on #4 will do a great job.

Depending on the thickness of the perspex a heat gun will work just fine.

For cutting it, I would ask around and see if you can get access to a scroll saw (especially an adjustable speed). It's much easier to do controlled detail cuts with.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back