Need constructive criticism

xenomorphslayer

Hey guys, Im a huge predator fan but brand new to making a mask. Ive started my clay mold but i think it looks like ****. If anyone has and ideas on how to improve it, would really appreciate it

photo_14_.JPG

i mean u got the general idea. u cant expect to get the first try 100%. work with it. dont let it dry out . you will get something good eventually. doesnt look bad atm.

Honestly, could you add a profile pic, straight-on, and from the top. The angle makes it a tad bit difficult to judge the basic shapes...

The biggest thing for me when doing my sculpts that I always have to remind myself...
"It gonna take time and more time and more time"
Sitting sculpting for 4 hours straight is great. But there really is something to be said about walking away for the night and coming back the next day.

For me it really works wonders and I can see from a new persepective.

For it to be perfect enough for you! this sculpt is going to take a long time. Sculpt and re sculpt areas until your happy.
I dont know how many times I literally smashed a sculpt and started over out of frustration. Its all part of it.
Embrace it.

something that could help you is to get a pretador toy. something that you could have a reference for shape, for me pictures are kinda hard to follow.

Hey man thats not bad for a first try don't be so hard on yourself. I gave it a whirl and sculpted for 6 hours straight. I smashed it afterwards (HAHA) it was terrible. But hey try and try again and like others have said it takes time. I'm going to give it a go during winter break to sculpt a head piece. Keep going at it bud you'll get there!

It looks to me like you started adding details before you had the basic shapes defined. Maybe the way to approach it is to get some good views of head on, top, profile shots of a head you want to try and sculpt and see what they all have in common in terms of shape, proportion, relative size. Add those major features first and get them the way you like them...THEN start adding small amounts of detail.

this was my first attempt. had a few issues with the back where dreads go in.. look alright now. almsot done with it a few days work. then getting the latex for molding.

photo-2.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

last 2 photos kinda bad. dang light from window.

i went by P1. on this one. then made a few custom arrangments.

hey it looks good so far, but like has already been said, you're not gonna finish in one sitting. definately forget about the detail for a while. also what scale are you doing this? if its a 1:1 and is going to be used for a mask i'd recommend building around a foam mannaquin head that you can get pretty cheap from most craft and arts stores.
below i've had i quick play in photoshop on my lunch break.

hopefully the tips will give you a basic guide that will help you...

I'm a noob at this too so know how you're feeling

79373868.jpg.png

i warped half your sculpture in photoshop, you should almost be able to do exactly the same with your clay... print this off and work with it alongside you...

88185337.jpg.png

this is the two modified halves together. MAKE THAT MOUTH SMALLER AND THAT FOREHEAD BIGGER.

72474418.jpg.png

This is still rough but i hope it helps. The upper mandibles should be in further than the lower ones. and the top jaw (the upper part with the two teeth) should stick out from the face more to make the eyes nice and deep and give enough room for your nose to fit in inside a mask... so crack on and get some updated photos posted!!

Dude that is awesome! Thanks for the help! I gave it a rest yesterday after sculpting for about 5 hours and am starting fresh today. Your pictures are def. a huge help thou. Ill post some more pics in a few days. thanks everyone!

Brother you have the talent to do a good sculpt here, keeping working it.

My old art teachers always said, dont be afraid to rip things out that dont look right and not to be precious about it, good advice.

You are doing a bang up job, its just pulling the proportions in just so, if its helps - relate the negative areas to each other, ie the gaps, the shadows, they can help gain a real understanding of what you are trying to capture.

Also, my trick is to use a mirror to check balance, and also to see where ti may be wrong, its amazing what a mirror can do to show up the areas that need work.

Keep going bro! its gonna be sweet.

peetee85: very fine of you to help the OP out and take such time, nice one.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back