Need advice from the Ghostbusters experts.

there's some cheap e-cig rigs and i know i've seen a website that sells what is essentially marshmallow scented fog juice for the e-cig, so no nicotine. then maybe just stuff some fairy lights from amazon into it. line the interior with aluminum tape and wrap the lights around in the inside

Last edited:
If you go with the smoke balls, you might light some of the non-colors that you don't want and see how long it takes the fuse to burn. You can buy a longer fuse and splice onto the existing fuse to give you more time after lighting and before the smoke starts emitting. Do some test runs if you go this route.
Smoke balls can burn the prop if it’s made of plastic and are not safe for indoor use.

Smoke balls can burn the prop if it’s made of plastic and are not safe for indoor use.
I sent him a PM about the smoke balls before he asked about them publicly. I said they were riskier, and you would have to have them in some metal container to stop the flame but still emit the smoke. For the quantity of smoke they emit in the short time, it's hard to beat them. Just don't melt your prop. :eek:

Okay, I'm doing the 12v green light mod, myself. First, the cord for the green light is super LONG. When I splice the cables, I'm going to remove a bunch of the cord. Here it is, as is, without any mods, running off of a 2.4a usb power bank. (the normal 1amp usb port does nothing) I gotta search through my power bank collection and find a smaller one that supports the 2.4a output.

The light and usb to 12v I used are from Amazon, and are a little different than the link previously posted, as the one I used already had a cigarette lighter adapter on the light.

<CLICK THIS LINK> Amazon usb to 12v 10w
<CLICK THIS LINK> 12v 8w green light with cig adapter

Attachments

• 20210809_082447[1].jpg
    20210809_082447[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20210809_082513[1].jpg
    20210809_082513[1].jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I sent him a PM about the smoke balls before he asked about them publicly. I said they were riskier, and you would have to have them in some metal container to stop the flame but still emit the smoke. For the quantity of smoke they emit in the short time, it's hard to beat them. Just don't melt your prop. :eek:
Yeah, I’m still thinking ONE smoke ball. I’m rigging up a little metal cage for the ball made out of a metal rod and metal framing wire. The trap cost like 20.00. If I ruin it pulling off the gag, so be it. It will totally be worth it.

Yeah, I’m still thinking ONE smoke ball. I’m rigging up a little metal cage for the ball made out of a metal rod and metal framing wire. The trap cost like 20.00. If I ruin it pulling off the gag, so be it. It will totally be worth it.
And are you using the power bank to green light ? I think it worked good.
The last green light link I posted is actually for a 8w instead of 10w light. So, it can run on a 2a usb power bank. [more common]

Last edited:
Oh, if you're only going to show a CLOSED trap, then I guess you might not need a green light.

I'm preparing a little video, with a proton pack and ghost trap and will be using the green light and trap in my video. Stay tuned, GB fans. :)

Yup, the trap will be closed but I’d still like the green light to bleed through while it smokes, similar to the movie.

Yup, the trap will be closed but I’d still like the green light to bleed through while it smokes, similar to the movie.
Have you bought your light and stuff yet ? Or are you waiting to see how mine turns out?

I want a smaller power bank with a 2amp output, I may actually just make one. The light itself is a bit larger than I thought, so there's not as much room in the trap as I had originally anticipated. A smaller power bank will save space.

So, as previously stated, the light is bigger than anticipated. I still thought I could wedge it in the trap diagonally. That's what I get for "thinking".
I can't make it fit. It might almost fit on the inside, but I can't get it through the hole in the top. This is most unfortunate. I may have to MAKE room, and a bigger entry and glue any modifications back together, or go with some other form of light. I liked this one. Super bright. A nice green. But now I'll have to rethink this.

Maybe different traps are slightly different sizes? I can give dimensions of the light if asked.

I still have time before Halloween, so I bought some 12v replacement lights. It's actually 3 x 12v bulbs, green LED, they're meant to be replacements for Halogen, so they're super bright. They're 2 inches high, so I'll just put all three in the trap facing up and wire it with the usb to 12v cable I already purchased and still run it off of a USB power bank.

There is a post on the General Modelling forum about a Blade Runner Spinner, pages 15-16 which has a cool smoke effect. This could be what you are looking for

I would just take the led part out of one these cheap flashligts. I have used them before with dry ice for halloween stuff and they work great and are super bright and run off standard AA batteries. It should easily fit in a ghost trap. I would go with the dry ice, there could be issues with lighting a smoke bomb in a mall.

<CLICK THIS LINK> Smoke CAKE

Okay, still looking at alternatives....this is a smoke CAKE. A small tablet that you light and it gives off smoke. It does not have a fuse or gunpowder. It appears to be some kind of incense tablet or similar. It says that it is used for a smoke effect in photography and shows it with a woman in a bikini, so safe around people, supposedly.

<CLICK THIS LINK> Smoke CAKE

Okay, still looking at alternatives....this is a smoke CAKE. A small tablet that you light and it gives off smoke. It does not have a fuse or gunpowder. It appears to be some kind of incense tablet or similar. It says that it is used for a smoke effect in photography and shows it with a woman in a bikini, so safe around people, supposedly.
But that on the Wish site, so if he were to order one, it could end up getting to him by next summer, missing Halloween. :lol:

They were cheap enough, so I bought the 10 pack to try out. We'll see how long they take to get here.
I saw that they have these also in different colors at aliexpress.com. This sounds really interesting - I don't know yet what for, but I want to keep this in mind for possible future projects. Please let us know how they worked!

I got my smoke cakes yesterday. I will post a video of them today. Fair warning, that did take 19 days for delivery.
I've also got my new, revised, green light for the trap, and may incorporate that into a single video.

Okay, I think the smoke cakes burn too quickly. That was about 13 seconds of smoke after it finally lit.

<CLICK THIS LINK> Ghost Trap video

I put a homemade power bank, a usb to 12v converter, a splitter, and two green led strips in the trap.
When the trap opens, it sets off the motion sensor and the green light comes on for 10 seconds. The delay time is settable on the board.

Attachments

• trap light 1.jpg
    trap light 1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 47
  • trap light 2.jpg
    trap light 2.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
  • trap light 3.jpg
    trap light 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 45

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back