Necromonger Fans

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by weaselflinger, Nov 14, 2005.

1. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

***UPDATE 12/04***

Face just nedds a tiny bit of tweeking and texture, the original is on the left and mine is on the right.
    [​IMG]

An original (with non-removable faceplate) from the propstore

[​IMG]

Thanks for lookin'

Michael

2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great.
    Is it this helmet?

[​IMG]

3. matic

matic New Member

Sure looks like that helmet.
    The original that was on display at the prop party last year was a work of amazing quality and skill.
    Actually all the necromonger suits are made as well, some of the best fiberglass costumes I have ever seen. I learned a few things from them.
    The magnetic latching mechanism on the front face piece alone had me floored.

4. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

:thumbsup nice

5. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

3.5 hours?.? WOW....

With a week you could build one of those big columnar Necromonger spike things the size of a skyscrapper... 1:1 :)

6. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Very cool start. :)

Jason, is the hero helmet yours, or some other lucky rich bastard?

- Gabe

7. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Wow, that's looking really neat so far.. Awesome work.

8. morpheus13

morpheus13 Well-Known Member

Hey, Im not lucky. :lol

...or rich unfortunately.

That would be mine. its one of two hero helmets made for the film. By hero, I mean that the face plate is removable. there are also two with faces that do not come off but the quality is identical on all four. The finishing on the helmet is astounding. its just much much nicer than you see on most screen used pieces. Definately a favorite piece of mine.

9. morpheus13

morpheus13 Well-Known Member

oh, and very VERY nice work on your sculpt by the way.

10. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And Jason, I'm really curious about how the faceplate attaches. If you have pics, and you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see 'em.

11. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Like Morph said - it's his. That was the only pic I took, and at the time the pic was taken, I hadn't seen the film - I just loved the look of his helmet, and the quality blew me away. The variegated leaf, leather lining - wow. I think the face attached via magnets? I can't remember Mike moving any latches....

That sculpt is awesome. And now that I've seen the movie, I have a better appreciation for the "big baddie".

:)

12. jangomontes

jangomontes New Member

Now that is impressive. Being a huge fan and "legion" member. Can't wait to see the finished product.

13. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Awesome sculpt... You sculptor types amaze me.

14. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

WOW. Can't wait to see more.

15. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I just noticed something: your sculpt has ears, but the helmet doesn't. :confused

- Gabe

16. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah. and lose the neck and back of the head too. :p

Seriously, great work on your sculpt. It's a great replica of a GREAT prop.

-RAj

17. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Gabe, the armature underneath has ears, they aren't sculpted, but it's easy to see how you might think that from the crappy pics.

The pics of the original prop that I have from the London propstore, look like the 4 faces were cast from the same mold and then assembled, altered, and cast again along with the top of the helmet (at least that's my plan).

Once the whole thing is molded, I'm considering a very limited run before retiring the mold. It is not going to be fun to cast this thing in fiberglass.

Morpheus, if you have pics of the inside and/or how the main face attaches, I'd love to see 'em. If you'd rather not, that's cool too.

Thanks again for all the kind words, it's killin' me to not work on this thing all day while I'm at work.

18. stephen210

stephen210 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent work..
    Look forward to seeing more.
    Steve

19. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

here's the latest pic. Just fine tuning things now...

[​IMG]

20. DrMaul

DrMaul Well-Known Member

I'm liking it.

21. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Is it possible to overlay your sculpt onto the original and compare? I will never presume to have anything approaching your sculpting talent, but I pride myself with a sharp eye and was wondering if you'd welcome some helpful feedback. If not, I'll shut up and quietly admire your progress toward completion. :)

- Gabe

22. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Hey Gabe, I have been doing the overlay thing in photoshop every couple of hours now that the sculpt is getting tighter. It still needs some tweeks for sure, but the end is in sight (for the face at least).

The black wash on the original makes a big difference on the overall appearance as well.

23. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

How do you get the clay so smooth? What kind of clay is it?

Looks great, by the way.

Scott

24. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

Very nice. as a Necromonger Legion member Like Jangomontes, just like to say that I cant wait to see the final sculpt.

I had a helmet that wasnt used on screen as it was a test sculpt for the movie, it is very scimilar to the screen used one click on my profile for my whole costume pic.

Doug

25. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

also, when I moulded my helmet, I made my new one with a removable face plate,
    mine has 3 small rare earth magnets in the face plate an 3 corresponding bits of steel in the helmet,works a treat..

Doug :)

26. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

I know Miles Teves sculpted a protoype helmet and it is very similar to the screen used helmet (which he also may have sculpted).

I intend to cast this with a removable faceplate as well.

27. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

My anticipation grows by the day to see the sculpt coming to fruition, now the subtitle promises pics.....

28. FON

FON Well-Known Member

Wow thats sweet man. keep up the good work. ;)

29. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

hey, any progress?
    :love

30. judz dwedd

judz dwedd New Member

I think after you posted about the helmet YOU molded, all of the people that were interested in Weaselflinger's project, gravitated towards yours. You basicly swayed all interested members away from him, in his own thread. :unsure

31. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

Judz,
    I have been in contact with weasel finger and we have not had any problems with each other, I have given him my utmost support in his projest and would like one myself if he does finish it.I suggest you keep comments like that to PM

thanks for your understanding

Doug

32. judz dwedd

judz dwedd New Member

I was just posting the likely reason for no updates. You did, after all, ask on the open forum, so that's where I posted. I just saw Mike (Weaselflinger) this last weekend, so I'm very familiar with this situation. He's a very nice guy, not the type to openly comment about it.

33. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

Thats fair enough Judz,
    I am only going to make a max of 10), none with removeable faces AND only to members of the Necromonger Forum, I did explain this to him and suggest he carry on as it looks like a great piece of work, I am a fan and never ment to cause any bad feeling. I will happily quit the forum If I have offended , once again my appologies to weaselfinger, but the way you worded it and the face at the end is what got my back up.

Doug

34. skygunbro

skygunbro Well-Known Member

:eek: give me a break..... :rolleyes
    Both sculpts are excellent I dont think it was an intentional hijack but just a person with a similar item/intrest...........

35. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

I second that.

36. judz dwedd

judz dwedd New Member

Never said it was an "intentional hijack". I just stated how things went down. After the readers discovered that someone had a mold from an origional, everyone stoped pm'ing Mike. Two of the most interested in the project, bought one of the others instead. Is anyone in the wrong here? Probably not. That's just the way things go. I don't believe (nor does Mike) that it was an intentional hijack. After all, it was one of his first posts, so he may not even have known what a hijack was. Just don't be surprised if Weaselflinger no longer shows any progress pics of any projects he's working on. Lesson learned, life goes on.

37. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

Guys,
    I had no idea that weaselfinger was making it to sell, somebody linked me to the site and I even put info into how my face plate worked, I had no intensions of "hi-jacking." (even though that word means to steal stolen goods.)I will no longer let people know what I have ,on this forum In case i f--k up again was my 1st post too. oh well

once again sorry Weasel finger ,and you should definately make yours (med to Large as mine is fairly small like the scrren item and )then you will surely sell loads of them here

regards

Doug

38. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Ok, I'll jump in.

Armourerdoug has told me in PM that he mentioned that his helmet was available in my WIP thread because he wanted to recoup the cost of molding his helmet and assumed that I wasn't offering copies (since I didn't specifically state that I was in the thread).

He also said that since posting in the thread he has made and sold copies of his to RPF members.

Because of this, my enthusiasm for the project has diminished, but I believe that Armourerdoug's intentions are not malicious, so I just stopped posting in the thread and allowed it to get burried without saying anything publicly about the misunderstanding.

Judz and I are good friends and he is familiar with a couple of unrelated deals I've been involved in that have kinda screwed me over recently.

When he heard about this situation he posted in my defense in the hope of avoiding future misunderstandings among those of us in the hobby in general, and not to specifically attack Amourerdoug.

I'm sure I will still do the helmet, but it's no longer on the front burner for me. It's no big deal. I have plenty of other projects in the meantime to keep me busy and the Lord Marshal helmet will still eventually get done.

I wish good luck to Armourerdoug and thank Judz for having my back...