National Treasure Glasses FINISHED

TSqProductions

Whew! After a long 4 months of working on these things, I finally finished my own pair of Benjamin Franklin Ocular Device Glasses. :D

dbd859db34e06b61779f6c19d7df97a0-d41xfye.jpg

Believe me, it wasn't easy. I almost scrapped the entire thing cause I drilled part of the frames ever so slightly wrong... But some shaped metal bushings put the loupe rods back straight.

Also, I had a tough time with the glass tinting paint. The first paint I used wasn't very secure, so I used a better glass paint. The red lens, however is obscured a little bit, because I think that particular color's paint composition is a little wonky...

Anyways, the coloring is temporary here because I'm going to the San Japan convention here in San Antonio, and I'd like to take them with me one of the convention days.

I've also written instructions up on how to make these, but they're not complete yet.

Anyways, bask in the awesomeness of the replica! :love

How did you bend the frames? I'm working on a set of these myself. So far, the best method I've found that doesn't seem to damage the frame is to open the glasses, put them on a solid surface with a cloth under them, then press down on them with a book or something similar. I've only done a slight bend in the frames so far with this method, but it's nice because it does both lenses at the same time, so they turn out the same size and shape.

How did you bend the frames?

It took me about 2 days with a hammer and some pliers.

I started out by tapping the frames, which I covered with a cloth at first, gently on a piece of wood. (This part WILL take a long time.), then after not getting much progress, I tapped them a little harder. When I got the rough shape down, I moved on to using painters/masking tape-covered needle-nose and clamp pliers. (the kind where you can change the grip strength by turning a screw.)

I originally was going to make the glasses with a pristine look to them (like Droidboy's version here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/wip-national-treasure-ocular-device-78220/), but I had used the pliers so much that the tape started developing holes in it and started to scratch the metal, so I said "Screw it", and took some sandpaper to the metal to weather it.

I've found something, a code, I believe these glasses did exist. Don't you think there is entirely too much documentation on something that didn't exist. If:ninja your interested in working on the real code, you can contact me. I could really use your help
Whew! After a long 4 months of working on these things, I finally finished my own pair of Benjamin Franklin Ocular Device Glasses. :D

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011/209/d/b/dbd859db34e06b61779f6c19d7df97a0-d41xfye.jpg

Believe me, it wasn't easy. I almost scrapped the entire thing cause I drilled part of the frames ever so slightly wrong... But some shaped metal bushings put the loupe rods back straight.

Also, I had a tough time with the glass tinting paint. The first paint I used wasn't very secure, so I used a better glass paint. The red lens, however is obscured a little bit, because I think that particular color's paint composition is a little wonky...

Anyways, the coloring is temporary here because I'm going to the San Japan convention here in San Antonio, and I'd like to take them with me one of the convention days.

I've also written instructions up on how to make these, but they're not complete yet.

Anyways, bask in the awesomeness of the replica! :love

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back