My weekend trip to see the 11ft Enterprise

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by WinstonWolf359, May 16, 2006.

1. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

I had the opportunity to go to DC this weekend, so I took a few pics of the Enterprise. Nothing that hasn't been posted before, but whenever I go I'm mainly checking to see if the deteriation is getting much worse. It doesn't seem too much worse than my last visit in 2003, but we're quickly getting to the point where something HAS to be done to preserve the model before it's too late.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the plexi navigation lights is continuing to slide out of the underside of the saucer...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The open seam along the side of the secondary hull seems to be getting bigger, but it's hard to tell for sure... I REALLY hope they do something before the nacelle sag leads to more damage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a weird tear in the paint that's hard to see in this pic but it looks like it could have been caused by sloppy masking...

[​IMG]

Overall she's still an impressive sight, but I'm afraid of what will happen if there isn't another restoration soon. I'm hoping increased interest surrounding the 40th anniversary and the coming together of so many experts to develop the MR Enterprise that we'll see the real Enterprise get some TLC.

:)

2. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

What a shame. I wish someone would repair any damage and get rid of that butt ugly paint job and make it look the way it should. I cringe every time I see what has become of the old girl. She deserves better. Just don't let Mr. Gridlines near it please. Looks like it was restored with a waffle maker.

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ooo. Nice pix. B)

Lights not on tho? Nobody home? :(

- k

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice shots of the "unfinished" left side of the model, which was never seen on the show.

[​IMG]

When the ship is going left to right, you're seeing the model just as she was filmed.

[​IMG]

But when the ship is going right-to-left, you're seeing the picture reversed. That's actually the right side of the miniature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what you would have actually seen in the studio. Note "NCC-1701" reads backwards.

[​IMG]

- k

5. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Nope, no lights. The model was off display for a few years and when it returned (at the back of the basement giftshop :angry ) it no longer had it's internal lighting turned on.
    Even the lights in the display case aren't constantly on, but seem to only turn on for a few seconds every couple of minutes.

6. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

Thanks for the pics, and I agree, it is time for another restoration, be nice if we could reverse Ed's version back to more of the original.

Roger

7. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Yeah, I agree completely. :)

Like I said in the first post, with all of the talent being assembled to work on the MR Enterprise it would be great if the Smithsonian would let them also work on the real Enterprise.

I really think the secondary hull is going to require some additional reinforcement to continue to bear the weight of the nacelles, unless a new external support system can be developed. I know the paint job gets a lot of bad press but I'm much more concerned about the model eventually self-destructing under her own weight. :unsure

There's no reason (other than money) that we couldn't see a really nice restoration again soon that would finally bring the Enterprise back to it's original appearance.

8. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Its on display... in a gift shop.?

Are there any other Trek items on display at the Smith right now...?

9. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I was in DC in 1981 and saw the Enterprise before the Ed restoration and even though the nacelle caps were bright cherry red and blinking it still looked better then it does now. Too bad my camera malfunctioned and the pics were ruined. :cry

...and when I was there it was not hanging near the giftshop.

10. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

The American History museum used to have a REALLY bad looking fake phaser II on display, but it isn't on display right now. The Indiana Jones Jacket and hat that used to sit next to it are also gone. The American History museum seems to be in the process of rotating at lot of their holdings right now. There were a LOT of closed galleries this weekend.

Yes, the Enterprise is on display in the back of the downstairs portion of the giftshop. To find it you have to enter the ground floor giftshop, find an escalator in the back that takes you to the basement giftshop, and the Enterprise is in the very back of that. AND, there are no signs even mentioning it is down there anymore. There used to be a big Enterprise poster that hung over the escalator at least... :unsure

11. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How ironic it will be to be able to purchase a more accurate replica of the Enterprise soon than the actual in the Smithsonian.

I hope they restore her soon.

She is more then just a prop from a TV show.

Just as any great works of literature are treasured by humanity, so should the TOS E as far as I am concerned.

12. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

I remember always NEEDING to see the E at the Smithsonian when I lived out there in the early 80's as a kid, and it was hanging on the second floor at the north end of the building, tucked into the nook just above a corridor, so the lights were easy to see. LOVED seeing it then.

Where it's at now is just depressing, as is that crappy "restoration".

13. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I still have the article in the Star Trek Poster Magazine covering the original restoration. It was so minimal compared to what they did to it the last time. Or should I say overdid.

14. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures, maybe a group of us close to DC could volunteer to do another restoration. Yeah, I know, I know. :unsure It would be cool though.

15. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I wonder if any of the members here as well as other forums would be interested in trying to get some funds together providing the Muesum would allow us to be involved in a restoration project of some kind?

I would be willing to donate my time to it?

Roger

16. MGC

MGC Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(ufptrekker1701 @ May 20 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]1247564[/snapback]</div>

Well, if there's a cadre of dedicated, enthusiastic professionals anywhere, it's here. I for one would love to see the original E properly restored by those who care, but it often seems that these opportunities - common sense ones at that - never seem to come about when they really should.

17. Hiyata99

Hiyata99 New Member

What a pity. :(

It's such a shame that she's almost hidden from sight unless you know exactly where to look.

I'm wondering if they keep her powered down so as to slow the effect of deterioration.

Thanks for sharing Matt. I'll have to make it down to see her one of these days.

18. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

Hey, I'm in Washington D.C. today and tomorrow. I just wanted to get clarification: The Enterprise is in The American History Museum? At the back of the basement gift shop? I was there yesterday and didn't see it... but maybe I wasn't in the basement giftshop... I was in the huge museum store adjacent to the food court area. Can anyone give me detailed directions to see it? Thanks in advance.

Alan

19. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

It is hanging in The National Air and Space Museum right outside the Gift Shop.....NASM..... :)

Roger

20. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

Roger, thank you. You're a God.

21. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

I saw the big E once hanging up and once down in the gift shop at the NASM on the mall in DC. What is there now? I thought the NASM has a huge center at Dulles?

22. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

The Enterprise is no longer hanging outside the gift shop, since 2000 or so it's been on display in a very large glass case in the basement section of the gift shop, at the very back. If you don't know exactly where to look, you're better off asking someone that works there, because you'd be hard pressed to simply stumble across it, it's hidden pretty well. :unsure

And to clarify, the Enterprise is at the Air and Space museum on the National Mall, not at the Dulles facility. Although Dulles does have the space shuttle Enterprise on display. :)

23. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I need to get my * down there and check this out. Too bad driving in DC is a total nightmare.

24. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

I realize Ed M. was doing what he thought was right, but man that %^$#ing grid has been a pet peeve of mine for many years.

I really hope they consider moving it to a more prominent place for the fortieth and getting Greg (J.) or someone else to do the next restortation.

The worst part is that the grid gets into so much licensed and other product because of it being on the Smithsonian display - people use that as their argument for it's authenticity.

The only time I was there, I was in DC for a convention and literally ran over to see it, had no camera with me, and it was in dire need of a restoration. Who knew it would come out looking like that?.? :-\

25. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

speaking of the dulles museum, isnt the close encounters mothership there, ive seen it listed but i havent seen any pictures.

26. BrianM

BrianM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey,

Just went to Dulles NASM and got my Enterprise pic...

[​IMG]

:lol

And the CE3K Mother Ship is right next to it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Wow, you can see the left wing leading edge RCC pieces that were removed for the Columbia investigation...

28. GroundskeeperWillie

GroundskeeperWillie Well-Known Member

HAH. BrianM you spotted the little R2 on the Close Encounters ship too? I was psyched when I noticed that when I was there this past spring.

And I'm BUMMED that I didn't realize the Star Trek Enterprise was in the gift shop of the NASM--I was just there in the spring and had no idea that was hiding out in there. They REALLY should do more to let people know that's there--I would have loved to have seen that.. :angry

29. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(KUROK @ Jul 17 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]1282423[/snapback]</div>

Yes that is surprising to see this late in the game. Some simple mock ups could cover that up.
    Or maybe it was left that way to demonstrate the issue to visitors and that the Enterprise was still serving a useful function as an engineering donor.
    Anyways, looks like they have the problem whipped now with Discoverys second flight returned safely today.

30. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I wonder if they'll move it to a more prominant location with the 40th coming up?

31. BrianM

BrianM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did get to the NASM at the mall too. Asked the girl at the information counter where the Star Trek Enterprise was at and she looked at me like I was from Mars. She had no idea. I didn't see it in the gift shop so I thought they moved it. Finally I looked in the "basement" and there she was. I tried not to repete pics:

[​IMG]

Actually it's kind of nice, once you find it, you can get close and nobody bothers you when you drool on the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look what is missing here. I never noticed that before. Can you see it on the show?

[​IMG]
    Worst paint job of all time.

32. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(BrianM @ Jul 17 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]1282858[/snapback]</div>
    That's where the cables for the electronics used to run out the side of the secondary hull. That was closed off the first time it was restored, back in the seventies. That side of the hull never had details.

33. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Marecki should be tortured for that paint job - what was he thinking?
    Lets just hope the next person to restore it has some respect as opposed to trying to make it look like a modern film miniature.

34. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Yeah. Too much "interpretation" of the original look, and not enough study of the original condition of the model. Very disappointing.