My weekend trip to see the 11ft Enterprise

WinstonWolf359

Sr Member
I had the opportunity to go to DC this weekend, so I took a few pics of the Enterprise. Nothing that hasn't been posted before, but whenever I go I'm mainly checking to see if the deteriation is getting much worse. It doesn't seem too much worse than my last visit in 2003, but we're quickly getting to the point where something HAS to be done to preserve the model before it's too late.

E-7.jpg

E-9.jpg

E-8.jpg

E-11.jpg

E-10.jpg

E-1.jpg

One of the plexi navigation lights is continuing to slide out of the underside of the saucer...

E-5.jpg

E-2.jpg

The open seam along the side of the secondary hull seems to be getting bigger, but it's hard to tell for sure... I REALLY hope they do something before the nacelle sag leads to more damage.

E-6.jpg

E-3.jpg

There is a weird tear in the paint that's hard to see in this pic but it looks like it could have been caused by sloppy masking...

E-4.jpg

Overall she's still an impressive sight, but I'm afraid of what will happen if there isn't another restoration soon. I'm hoping increased interest surrounding the 40th anniversary and the coming together of so many experts to develop the MR Enterprise that we'll see the real Enterprise get some TLC.

:)

What a shame. I wish someone would repair any damage and get rid of that butt ugly paint job and make it look the way it should. I cringe every time I see what has become of the old girl. She deserves better. Just don't let Mr. Gridlines near it please. Looks like it was restored with a waffle maker.

Nice shots of the "unfinished" left side of the model, which was never seen on the show.

E-11.jpg

When the ship is going left to right, you're seeing the model just as she was filmed.

WNM_Enterprise_AE.jpg

But when the ship is going right-to-left, you're seeing the picture reversed. That's actually the right side of the miniature.

mm03-crop.jpg

mm08-crop.jpg

This is what you would have actually seen in the studio. Note "NCC-1701" reads backwards.

ent28-FLOP.jpg

- k

Nope, no lights. The model was off display for a few years and when it returned (at the back of the basement giftshop :angry ) it no longer had it's internal lighting turned on.
Even the lights in the display case aren't constantly on, but seem to only turn on for a few seconds every couple of minutes.

Thanks for the pics, and I agree, it is time for another restoration, be nice if we could reverse Ed's version back to more of the original.

Roger

Yeah, I agree completely. :)

Like I said in the first post, with all of the talent being assembled to work on the MR Enterprise it would be great if the Smithsonian would let them also work on the real Enterprise.

I really think the secondary hull is going to require some additional reinforcement to continue to bear the weight of the nacelles, unless a new external support system can be developed. I know the paint job gets a lot of bad press but I'm much more concerned about the model eventually self-destructing under her own weight. :unsure

There's no reason (other than money) that we couldn't see a really nice restoration again soon that would finally bring the Enterprise back to it's original appearance.

I was in DC in 1981 and saw the Enterprise before the Ed restoration and even though the nacelle caps were bright cherry red and blinking it still looked better then it does now. Too bad my camera malfunctioned and the pics were ruined. :cry

...and when I was there it was not hanging near the giftshop.

The American History museum used to have a REALLY bad looking fake phaser II on display, but it isn't on display right now. The Indiana Jones Jacket and hat that used to sit next to it are also gone. The American History museum seems to be in the process of rotating at lot of their holdings right now. There were a LOT of closed galleries this weekend.

Yes, the Enterprise is on display in the back of the downstairs portion of the giftshop. To find it you have to enter the ground floor giftshop, find an escalator in the back that takes you to the basement giftshop, and the Enterprise is in the very back of that. AND, there are no signs even mentioning it is down there anymore. There used to be a big Enterprise poster that hung over the escalator at least... :unsure

How ironic it will be to be able to purchase a more accurate replica of the Enterprise soon than the actual in the Smithsonian.

I hope they restore her soon.

She is more then just a prop from a TV show.

Just as any great works of literature are treasured by humanity, so should the TOS E as far as I am concerned.

I remember always NEEDING to see the E at the Smithsonian when I lived out there in the early 80's as a kid, and it was hanging on the second floor at the north end of the building, tucked into the nook just above a corridor, so the lights were easy to see. LOVED seeing it then.

Where it's at now is just depressing, as is that crappy "restoration".

I still have the article in the Star Trek Poster Magazine covering the original restoration. It was so minimal compared to what they did to it the last time. Or should I say overdid.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, maybe a group of us close to DC could volunteer to do another restoration. Yeah, I know, I know. :unsure It would be cool though.

I wonder if any of the members here as well as other forums would be interested in trying to get some funds together providing the Muesum would allow us to be involved in a restoration project of some kind?

I would be willing to donate my time to it?

Roger

<div class='quotetop'>(ufptrekker1701 @ May 20 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]1247564[/snapback]</div>
I wonder if any of the members here as well as other forums would be interested in trying to get some funds together providing the Muesum would allow us to be involved in a restoration project of some kind?

I would be willing to donate my time to it?

Roger
[/b]

Well, if there's a cadre of dedicated, enthusiastic professionals anywhere, it's here. I for one would love to see the original E properly restored by those who care, but it often seems that these opportunities - common sense ones at that - never seem to come about when they really should.

What a pity. :(

It's such a shame that she's almost hidden from sight unless you know exactly where to look.

I'm wondering if they keep her powered down so as to slow the effect of deterioration.

Thanks for sharing Matt. I'll have to make it down to see her one of these days.

Hey, I'm in Washington D.C. today and tomorrow. I just wanted to get clarification: The Enterprise is in The American History Museum? At the back of the basement gift shop? I was there yesterday and didn't see it... but maybe I wasn't in the basement giftshop... I was in the huge museum store adjacent to the food court area. Can anyone give me detailed directions to see it? Thanks in advance.

Alan

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back