My Spider-man costume W.I.P on a budget and from scratch (Pic Heavy)

Wearenotlinear

This is my first costume and my first sewing project. I wanted something similar to the
TASM suit but more comic book-esque and more like the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon- with
removable boots, gloves and mask.I'm borrowing elements from different Spiderman costumes; big spider for the back, TASM spider for the front, but a little wider, my own spin on the web designs and more comic book eyes, pure white with a bit of attitude to the brow. This is my practice suit and I plan on making a better one after I get through this one.

I'm not using anyone's patterns. Everything is custom, original, I used a stencil for the front spider, but everything else is hand drawn/painted).

I've been talking about making one for a while and this Christmas my wife showed me how to
use her sewing machine and got me a gift card for fabric and pointed me to this site. I've
been looking around and very impressed by the costumes on here.

I was especially inspired by Lunaman and MCL34N and MRbibou --- all very impressive.

Hope you like what I've done. Feel free to comment, critique, etc.

Here's the running shoe I took apart
shoes 2.jpgshoes 3.jpgshoes.jpg

Glued them to the boots I sewed, then drew on the webs.
shoes final.jpg

Here is the left glove, the right one still doesn't have webs. I need a hand model since I'm right handed! I drew everything on with washable marker, then sharpie like MRbibou.
Glove unwebbed.jpgglove drawn.jpgglove weebed 2.jpgglove webbed.jpg

These are the eyes I made. Puff paint frames, pressed smooth while drying, and for the white: I found that cross-stitch perforated plastic from the craft store worked quite well.
eyes 2.jpgeyes on red.jpgeyes.jpg

Here I am, testing the suit fit mid sew. I did the top and bottom separate at first, but then decided to go with them attached.

costume mid sew.jpgsewed costume.jpg And the suit, with webs and spider. All sharpie.

And most recently, I finished the back spider, this morning. Drew up how I wanted it to look, traced it on with washable marker and painted many, many layers of puffy paint on.
back spider.jpg

Eyes taped in place to see how they'd look...
eye mask.jpg

And finally, everything I've got finished thus far, while perched on the bathroom counter...
Spidey_1.jpg

Better pics will come as I get more finished. I started about a week ago, plan to be done by next week. Total cost: under 70 bucks.

Hope you all like!

Great work so far! I'm looking forward to how this turns out :)
Thanks IronJoe! I'm hoping it'll all come together. I'm fixing the back shoulders now, once the back spider went on it was noticeable that the shoulders are crooked . Fingers crossed I don't mess it up!

- - - Updated - - -

So unique.

I can't tell off this is sarcasm or not. Haha
If it is, I know its not very unique, there's thousands of spidey reproductions. I'm just a huge fan and have always wanted to make one. If not sarcasm, thank-you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool

Thanks Spideyguy! Your lenses look pretty cool too!

- - - Updated - - -

Ironjoe, your builds are pretty awesome. Color me impressed.

Here's what I've got so far...
Still need to finish the gloves and the mask, but the suit it pretty much complete.
View attachment 427013View attachment 427011View attachment 427012
Do you like the suit? Of course you do! There is something so satisfying about making your own suit. It's an original, one of a kind, a creation by you. I love it man, just taking the time out to put your heart into a project and then seeing it come to life it AMAZING. This shows fellow Web Heads like myself that you are a true fan! Bravo Man O, you have every right to be proud of your suit!!

Do you like the suit? Of course you do! There is something so satisfying about making your own suit. It's an original, one of a kind, a creation by you. I love it man, just taking the time out to put your heart into a project and then seeing it come to life it AMAZING. This shows fellow Web Heads like myself that you are a true fan! Bravo Man O, you have every right to be proud of your suit!!

Thanks! I'm quite proud of it. For being my first sewing project it took quite a bit of patience, guessing and testing. Your Scarlet Spider Is pretty awesome too. That's always been one of my favorite costumes... Poor Ben Reilly.

- - - Updated - - -

have to say that that this is a pretty good suit for a budget build, so you should keep creating! EXCELSIOR!!!
Thanks! It's looking like the total cost will be closer to 50 than 70. I have enough fabric left to make a second.

Youre welcome dude and thanks my suit just hangs in the closet these days haha....but this is most impressive man keep up the good work :thumbsup

Decided to go ahead and puff paint the webs and spider... Starting with the spider. Using a toothpick to dab at it til its filled and smooth, while leaving a thin line of sharpie around the edge. Almost done... So far so good. Using slick black.
IMAG0587.jpgIMAG0590.jpg

My Styrofoam head finally arrived so I'm working on the mask now. Pinned the eyes in place and marked out the webs with a ruler and a washable marker, then went over it in sharpie. Will probably puff paint it too.
IMAG0594.jpg IMAG0595.jpg IMAG0597.jpg
Ignore the smudge marks, those wash right out.

Wow. positioning these eyes is a mother....
I hand stitched them in place, but will probably cut the stitches and glue them. But! For now, the mask is finished

IMAG0622.jpgIMAG0623.jpg

Full pics to come tomorrow.

I suggest getting a mannequin head to make sure the mask is actually symmetrical.
I have one, a Styrofoam head that's roughly my measurements. The webs are symmetrical, just as I planned them, but The issue came about while hand stitching the eyes, since I can't stitch them to the head, it was really hard to keep them lined up. So I may be tearing out the stitches and gluing the eyes in place. By the way, Iracel, big fan of your threads!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back