My review of Action Costumes Reeve Superman costume

I'm not sided with either party. But my opinion, if StreetJudge is claiming the suit was made poorly, and Sebastian is claiming the bust is at fault, the easiest way to resolve this is to se the suit OFF the bust, layed flat. Any imperfections will be obvious at that point.

exactly what I suggested, if the suit is exactly made like the photos posted by Sebastian I see no reason for the shield to look off centered.

Another thing that some people seems to not understand, is that the lycras are elastic fabrics and they take the forms of the body, so if the suit looks twisted, IS BECAUSE THE BODY IS TWIESTED.

it does look a bit off, but material is quite wrinked in areas, it's hard to judge if material is not nice and flat. Streetjudge you should take photos of the suit off the bust layed as flat as possible, put a ruler in the center of shield with center of neck opening, this will put all debates to rest.

Last edited:
the material is loose, the suit comes with a neck opening which you slide over the bust head and can be adjusted and swiveled around without the fabric interferring with shoulders or arms, all the extra material and part of the shield was tucked under the bust.

That does absolutely zilch to address the points I made. In fact, your statement about the "neck opening which you slide over the bust head and can be adjusted and swiveled around without the fabric interfering with shoulders or arms" actually reinforces my point.

By your own words, the neck is the center point around which the whole thing can adjust and swivel.

Well, basic mechanics and geometry shows us that when you rotate something around a central point, it stays in the same place relative to the center point.

Here, let me give you a graphical representation. (see attachment)

The yellow circle represents the neck, or the center of rotation. The arrow indicates which direction the bust is facing.

The cyan represents the shirt and shield facing forward, in line with the facing direction.

The red represents how it would look if the material were turned about the center point as you suggest.

As you can see, the shield graphic has also turned along with the box, giving the top line of the shield an inclination from horizontal. However, Sebastian's own earlier proof that the shield's top line is parallel with the horizontal proves that the costume is not rotated around the neck, and leads me to my assertion that the shield is not centered properly.

yes but since this is a very stretchy material it all depends how it was force stretched over the bust, all the stretching can play a factor giving the illusion of a off centered shield, imagine the neck section stays in place around neck but the rest of the lower fabric with shield was forced toward one side, the material may be twisted in a way that makes the shield look off centered, like I said the only way to prove it is to take the suit off the bust.

Last edited:
I dunno.... I'm with Kevin on this one. Yeah, there's a bit of "wrinkliness" of the fabric, but come on folks.... even with that, you can tell it's not right. The left side of the shield goes far past the side collar line, where as the right side lines almost exactly up with it. Fiction Engineered is absolutely correct with his illustration and logic on this.

Only one way to tell definitively...StreetJudge... I'd say do what others have already suggested. Take that suit off of the bust, lay it FLAT, and take pics. That should be the end of the discussion once that happens.

-Johnny C

The shield looks askew in this pic too...

dsc08517.jpg

Another thing that some people seems to not understand, is that the lycras are elastic fabrics and they take the forms of the body, so if the suit looks twisted, IS BECAUSE THE BODY IS TWIESTED.

Sorry but that doesn't change the fact the \S/ isn't stretched at all if it was it would either rip or have wrinkle lines because felt does not stretch like lycra and the \S/ is of center i've sat and looked at these photos for almost 12 hours trying to work out exactly wtf has happened and it looks like the \S/ was glued on by Stevie Wonder.

Sorry but that doesn't change the fact the \S/ isn't stretched at all if it was it would either rip or have wrinkle lines because felt does not stretch like lycra and the \S/ is of center i've sat and looked at these photos for almost 12 hours trying to work out exactly wtf has happened and it looks like the \S/ was glued on by Stevie Wonder.

doesn't matter if shield doesn't stretch, there's enough stretchable material around shield that makes it possible to shift everything to one side, I'm not taking sides here but not sure why Streetjudge79 is not posting photos with suit off bust to prove his point, I would do anything to prove it if I was in his position.

GFollano

Last edited:
doesn't matter if shield doesn't stretch, there's enough stretchable material around shield that makes it possible to shift everything to one side, I'm not taking sides here but not sure why Streetjudge79 is not posting photos with suit off bust to prove his point, I would do anything to prove it if I was in his position.

GFollano

Yeah but what im saying is if you've glued felt onto lycra stretching the lycra would also cause the felt to stretch and felt when stretched doesn't stretch like lycra, it distorts if that makes sense.

I'd like to offer a few facts here that might provide a reasonable insight and an alternative to graphics & geometry :)
Firstly, I also own this bust-

SSC_1465_zpscf3506e4.jpg

I even had input in its creation thanks to Chris King, who commissioned it originally from a Greek sculptor named 'Nikolas'. Precious few casts were made from the sculpt of varying quality- in fact they were extremely rare until a new batch emerged recently made available on everybody's favourite auction site which I can only assume are recasts of some description- to my knowledge Nikolas never made more.
The point is the busts were never 100% refined as at the point it was cast Chris was undecided about whether or not to mount it onto a mannequin. Consequently, it's pretty badly finished on the bottom edges as frankly, it was abandoned.
Now, while I've read all the former posts with interest and see both sides at work I have to say the only way Streetjudge would ever manage to get this thing straight was to have the components separate. Strictly speaking anyhow were you being screen accurate only millimeters of the chest shield would be visible with the space available on the bust. This is easy to say in retrospect of course having seen how awful the costume looks mounted. IMHO The only way to have a non-stretch flocked velvet shield attached straight to this particular bust is apply it post costume fitting.
As I mentioned, not trying to place blame with either party, just offering insight as a fellow owner of this fantastic bust. Maybe both parties could agree on getting a new tunic portion sent as a kit and put an end to all the speculation as right now nobody seems happy...

Last edited:
Yeah but what im saying is if you've glued felt onto lycra stretching the lycra would also cause the felt to stretch and felt when stretched doesn't stretch like lycra, it distorts if that makes sense.

yah I know what you mean, but the fabric were felt is glued on won't stretch only the material around the shield will.

GFollano

IMHO The only way to have a non-stretch flocked velvet shield attached straight to this particular bust is apply it post costume fitting.

that makes total sense, put the blue fabric on bust, then put on the shield nice and centered, this way regardless how material stertched to fit the bust the shield being seperate can be easily centered.

GFollano

I've had nothing but great service from Action Costumes in all the years that I've dealt with them so I'm not sure what's happening here Steve but I hope it can be worked out.

More disturbing for me personally is the fact that the Reeve bust that I commissioned a few years ago has obviously been handed over to someone who is now recasting it. As Martin-El correctly stated - there was only a very small number of these that were ever sold so it's upsetting to think that one of those original customers has let their casting of the bust fall into the hands of a recaster.

For those that don't like recasters - please AVOID "believe97" on ebay at all costs. Thanks.

Chris

I know this thread is months old but I'm very curious to see if there was resolution to this conflict. It just seems to me that Action Costumes or Sebastion was clearly missing the bigger picture here....you have an unsatisfied customer...give him his money back and or make it right if you can. Why go about arguing and wasting so much time and energy? If you stand by your product so adamantly then you should be more than happy to make it right for him; I know I would. What I am seeing is that you absolutely will not see that its even a possibility that the S shield is crooked....and it looks that way to me. The easiest solution is usually the best....just make another with a straight S or give him his money back and take the bust costume back and sell it to someone else if you feel the product was made correctly to begin with. The damn thing couldn't have cost you that much to make, esp. if you make a lot of them. It seems you've probably lost customers just from this little quarrel, so why not make it right and gain instead of lose?? In order to build a business you must be able to swallow your pride....you never know you might just grow with your company somehow.

After viewing and reading all the information, I must now agree with Sebastian. The fabric of the suit is only following the shape 0f the BUST, from the pics it is clearly now indicated that streetjudge79 bust is not symmetrical? Unless Streetjudge takes measurements and pics of his bust to disclaim Sebastian claim of his bust not being symmetrical?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back