My Predator Mask Construction

Awesome -was just trying to dig up threads on how to's for masks when i saw this - completely covered now on how to go about making a closed mouth pred
Your Pred head looks fantastic

I have a picture of a test paint up i did on the mask. The eye holes arent cut out yet and only one side has the quills in it, but i wanted to share some progress. This mask is just the first paint up and it was just to test out the paints and my new airbrush. I am gonna make the overall color lighter in the next mask and make the dots smaller. More soon!

100_0960.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the first real paint up has been completed. All the quills are attached and the teeth are in. The only thing missing now is the dreads, and they will be in shortly. The paint on the beads is drying then i will post the final pictures! The biohelmet is ready to be cast as well but i am waiting for a warm day, so the silicone sets up properly. Thank you all for the comments!

100_1015.JPG

100_1013.JPG

Well, the first real paint up has been completed. All the quills are attached and the teeth are in. The only thing missing now is the dreads, and they will be in shortly. The paint on the beads is drying then i will post the final pictures! The biohelmet is ready to be cast as well but i am waiting for a warm day, so the silicone sets up properly. Thank you all for the comments!

nice detail

Its finaly done. Well, aside from the slight predator pattern baldness on the back. I ran out of supplys for the dreads and fell short by about 8. I ordered more materials so i will patch him in later. Im overall pretty happy with it, but i am probably going to make molds for slightly shorter dreads. Now that this is complete i am thinking about what to start on next. I am going to be making a suit but i am also inclined to make another head sculpture and make imrovments. The cycle continues.. lol Hey, does anyone know what type of foam is it that people are making dreads out of? These are a skin of black latex with a polyfoam infill. They are flexable and they are very durable, but i am curious to try the cold foam type, and see if its cheaper or easyer. Is it just a self skinning polyfoam with a black tint? Anywho, thanks for looking people and all your comments.

100_1025.JPG

100_1028.JPG

Really really nice job on this one.

Better than 95% of the stuff out there that I see.

Well maybe for you 95% of the stuff out there isn't as great as what you can see here, but def is not nice to say it. Because i know that a lot of people that try their best to accomplished what they have.
I think before criticizing, you should show some of your work so we can decide if belongs to that 5% that is good.
Is nothing personal, but i don't think none of us has the right to give deconstructing quotes about other members work.

really clean sculpt diggin it cept for maybe the mandible area they seem a lil unexaggerated (small) but i think its a beautiful cast and great paintup really like the mask all round hell if i could sculpt i be proud of that mofo :)

Wow very nice. If you are going to improve on what you have already done then i can't wait to see how much more awesomeness you can inject into it

inspired :)

.... Hey, does anyone know what type of foam is it that people are making dreads out of? These are a skin of black latex with a polyfoam infill. They are flexable and they are very durable, but i am curious to try the cold foam type, and see if its cheaper or easyer. Is it just a self skinning polyfoam with a black tint?

Looking good .....foam dread WOULD look better....no offense as the dreads you have now look fine....i'm only saying this as you asked.....well I'm not sure if they will be easier or not as I have never made latex dreads before to compare processes with....but you are right about using a two part self skinning poly foam with a black tint...or you could just paint them.
You'll need a silicone mould......it's a bit of messing around to start with but once you get the routine...it's a simple enough process.
Well done for this project......and good luck with the next.

Lee

Looking good .....foam dread WOULD look better....no offense as the dreads you have now look fine....i'm only saying this as you asked.....well I'm not sure if they will be easier or not as I have never made latex dreads before to compare processes with....but you are right about using a two part self skinning poly foam with a black tint...or you could just paint them.
You'll need a silicone mould......it's a bit of messing around to start with but once you get the routine...it's a simple enough process.
Well done for this project......and good luck with the next.

Lee

Thanks man, what density foam are you using? Do you have any more specifics about the type of foam? At polytek they sell self skinning foams but i think they are like an 8 or 10 pound density, and i was thinking thats to stiff. I can only imagine that the polyfoam dreads are lighter and take less time to make. I appreciate everyons comments. I am in fact sculpting another head, to correct anything i feel could be beter, and i will post pictures up in a new thread when its ready. And i am about to do a matrix mold for the bio that fits this head, and i will post it as a huntorial if anyone is interested? Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back