My Portal Prop plans

Mecha01

I will start this by saying I wish I had started a wip thread in here sooner.

However it's never too late :)

So here goes:

Currently Working on a 9" portal 2 turret with motion sensing animatronics, lights and sounds.

Current electronics I am working with:

Arduino Nano board
Micro PIR sensor (it's TINY!!!)
Arduino Nano Motor Control board
Arduino Nano MP3 board
Gearbox Motor (with 12kg's of pull)
mylar speakers
Mini red LED's.

Will post pics here as the molding process begins in the next two days :)

Next project will probably be a ATLAS and P-body set.

Then a 'Dredd ABC Robot head (thinking electonics in it to track movement possibly....)

Then my version of a Portal Gun...

Eventually I'd like to do a full sized Portal 2 turret that perfectly matches the game in terms of movements, reactions, tracking, and internals (without the actual bullets ;-) ).

Thoughts?

without the actual bullets

Why?
Take apart a cheap AEG airsoft pistol, attach it to the Arduino and no one will dare come near.

Also can't wait for first pics, even if it is just a lump of silicone, sexy, sexy silicone ...

Have you prepped the 3D printed pieces prior to moulding? I was casting some WSF pieces and found it tricky to to get a smooth finish on them.

Why?
Take apart a cheap AEG airsoft pistol, attach it to the Arduino and no one will dare come near.

Also can't wait for first pics, even if it is just a lump of silicone, sexy, sexy silicone ...

Have you prepped the 3D printed pieces prior to moulding? I was casting some WSF pieces and found it tricky to to get a smooth finish on them.

What do you mean by prepping them?

Suggestions?

Oh really? :lol

Yup.

When. I do there will only be ~5-10 made. At most.

Realistically the electronics will be verrrrrry similar. Just with the additions of some extra motors (possibly linear actuator driven opening) ..

Would be a beast of a build. Won't happen though unless the jy stuff does well though.

What do you mean by prepping them?

Well I sanded my pieces down with 240 paper, then someone suggested smoothing over the surface with Azbro wax. They are definitely smoother now, but my mould still picked up some artefacts. If I wanted it smoother I guess I'd have to just prime and sand a few times.

Well I sanded my pieces down with 240 paper, then someone suggested smoothing over the surface with Azbro wax. They are definitely smoother now, but my mould still picked up some artefacts. If I wanted it smoother I guess I'd have to just prime and sand a few times.

I think I'll prime it now to double check the surfacing.. The parts felt smooth, but now I think I'll play 'er safe so as not to waste the silicone.

Never have worked with waxes. I may try them in the future.

LOL Almost forgot about that video :)

Although, when I come to that bridge, I may see if I can get some sort of belt fed nerf type round to fire out of it... IE: Something that *won't* cause any real damage.

We shall see.....

I will admit that the turret packaging in the video is why I decided to create a 'real' feeling redo of the turret box's art, and to put the turrets in said custom boxes.

I do also have even higher resolution copies of my box art, if someone wants it, shoot me a PM, or otherwise let me know your email. I just don't want to submit it to the world via a file hosting place.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back