My not so accurate R.J. MacReady from The Thing costume thread.

NOTE: This has been copied to both related threads. What better way to end both threads on the same note, eh?

Well, here it is, the end results for both my flamethrower and my MacReady outfit. So, click here, minimize the YouTube window and enjoy the viewing of these pics. And note: I'm not wearing the grey T-shirt that I have in my closet. I'll be wearing that on Saturday at MegaCon (Feb. 18, 2012)

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won." - R.J. MacReady, "The Thing" (1982)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dude nice job! Looks pretty cool, get some weathering on it and bam! your there!

Thanks, Rikarus. I'm not sure if you mean get some weathering on the costume or the thrower, but if you mean the thrower, I added some weathering to the knob on the pack itself. My dad, being former Army and who helped out in making it, was opposed to me weathering or "metalizing" the pack because the military, whenever the is a scratch on a piece of equipment, they just repaint the whole thing (even though the group in the film are a U.S. Research facility, he talked me into keeping it the way it is because of the fact that it looks a bit more like a real flamethrower pack the way it is). However, he did allow me to also weather and metalize the thrower gun (the thrower gun is painted gunmetal gray, with flat black used on the business end, with some minor silver added around the very very end of the business end and around the holes drilled into the business end's cover (see my thread on the flame thrower to see the work done on it).

But if you mean the costume, it's pretty much as weathered as it can (as most of the items used in the costume are stuff I found at thrift stores and flea markets).

New update: I have come to realize that R.J. MacReady may be doomed for obscurity. On the second day of MegaCon, I walked around for hours and only three people out of the 500+ there recognized me (and only after I began talking to them). I even had one guy walk by with wearing a T-shirt with Carpenter's The Thing movie poster art on it and he didn't even look at me. I was hoping that there'd be a few old-school sci-fi fans who'd recognize me, but there appeared to be no one.

But, thanks to my dad after the first day, he talked me out of wearing the leather jacket, so we went to a nearby Wal-Mart and bought a long-sleeved shirt that looked like the thermal shirt, and I wore it underneath my grey shirt and went as the "causal MacReady", still sporting my hat and flamethrower (I even had the J&B bottle with me, but decided to keep it in my bag. The funny thing, is most people did a double take on my flamethrower pack after walking by.

"It's the hat. People hate this hat. It riles them up."

Name that quote.
You'd think a drunk with a flamethrower would get SOME attention.
It is obscure, and people probably thought you just put together some weird stuff as a last minute costume. Mexican hat, flamethrower, army pants....

But I remember someone dressed as Kyle Reese and Michael Biehn didn't know who he was.

"It's the hat. People hate this hat. It riles them up."

Name that quote.
You'd think a drunk with a flamethrower would get SOME attention.
It is obscure, and people probably thought you just put together some weird stuff as a last minute costume. Mexican hat, flamethrower, army pants....

But I remember someone dressed as Kyle Reese and Michael Biehn didn't know who he was.

You may be right on all that. But there's one thing I can say proudly: I was the only R.J. MacReady there. I swear, I thought I was going to run into a couple of more of them (since I know a few people who saw the prequel recently would have seen Carpenter's film as a result). And there's another thing I can say. To quote, Agent J from Men in Black, "I make this look good." (J/k, I honestly think I look good enough) Here's the pic my Dad took of me with the casual R.J. MacReady (with the last-minite long-sleeved shirt).

Any other Thing stuff there?

It's a difficult movie to do. You're either a guy in winter clothes, or a sickening abomination with stomach jaws and crab legs.

Any other Thing stuff there?

It's a difficult movie to do. You're either a guy in winter clothes, or a sickening abomination with stomach jaws and crab legs.

The only other Thing related items I saw there was a guy who walked by wearing a T-shirt with the Carpenter movie's poster art I made mention of. I didn't see anyone else there as MacReady, any of the men of Outpost 31, no one as Kate, no one as any of those "crazy Swedes" or any Things.

You're right about the limitations of the work, but let's face it, sometimes its best to limit things. I mean, I can't tell you how many girls were running around as the various versions of Catwoman.

Saw your other thread, man you did some great work on this costume!

And don't worry if there weren't many people who recognized you, it's bound to happen with a film that old. Just know that those who do recognize you realize how cool you look!

Saw your other thread, man you did some great work on this costume!

And don't worry if there weren't many people who recognized you, it's bound to happen with a film that old. Just know that those who do recognize you realize how cool you look!

Thanks in regards to both comments. I'm glad for those who did recognize me. And I have to admit, I am glad I was the only MacReady there (let's face it, there's only so many versions of Catwoman, Joker, Darth Vader, Marvel comic characters that have recently gone film, Ghostbusters and so on before you become somewhat desensitized to seeing them). I can say for certain that those that go against the norm do stand out a bit to more to me, and I'm glad to be one of those who "went against the grain" so to speak. :D

I would have recognized you if I was there. You're absolutely right about the "mainstream" stuff - it's good to be more unique. I went to NYCC last year as Starbuck from the original Battlestar Galactica, and there were only two other old school BSG costumes - and we were from the same costuming group.

Quite a few of the younger crowd thought I was Captain Mal from Firefly. Granted I do resemble Nathan Fillion, but the costumes really are a bit different. I was kinda bummed that more people didn't recognize me, but one very attractive older woman made the whole thing worthwhile; she saw me from across the room and literally ran up to me to take a picture. She knew exactly who I was and was really happy to get a picture. The whole thing still brings a smile to my face.

This year I'm doing Han Solo from A New Hope, so there probably will be a couple there, but at least I'll be recognized.

You did a great job on the costume, and welcome to the against the grain club!

:D

I would have recognized you if I was there. You're absolutely right about the "mainstream" stuff - it's good to be more unique. I went to NYCC last year as Starbuck from the original Battlestar Galactica, and there were only two other old school BSG costumes - and we were from the same costuming group.

Quite a few of the younger crowd thought I was Captain Mal from Firefly. Granted I do resemble Nathan Fillion, but the costumes really are a bit different. I was kinda bummed that more people didn't recognize me, but one very attractive older woman made the whole thing worthwhile; she saw me from across the room and literally ran up to me to take a picture. She knew exactly who I was and was really happy to get a picture. The whole thing still brings a smile to my face.

This year I'm doing Han Solo from A New Hope, so there probably will be a couple there, but at least I'll be recognized.

You did a great job on the costume, and welcome to the against the grain club!

:D

Thanks, Havok. Honestly, I would have probably recognized you as Starbuck (before SyFy had the RIS BSG, I used to watch a lot of the classic shows on the Sci-Fi Channel back when it was on the big dish, so my palette for classic sci-fi is pretty wide than most people my age. I know of some of the 1960s and 1970s sci-fi shows just as much of the 1980s/1990s shows I grew up with and some of the recent shows I've begun to watch). I'm glad to be a part of the club. And thanks for the kind words. :)

Post-Mortem Update: I decided to call this a "post-mortem update" because at the time I completed this thread, I thought I was completely done with my costume as close as I could get it. Believe it or not, but earlier today, I found a flight suit that fits me. So, now I no longer have to wear the green khakis (unless I feel like it). But now, I'm at least one step closer to screen accuracy (though still not as screen accurate). I will be posting a couple of pictures of me in my full outfit again real soon for the gallery.

I had to look up this thread because earlier today I found an almost perfect match for McCready's jacket. But alas I didn't buy it and I'm mulling over going back for it in the morning.

I had to look up this thread because earlier today I found an almost perfect match for McCready's jacket. But alas I didn't buy it and I'm mulling over going back for it in the morning.

If you can afford it, I say go for it. I went with mine because it was something I found for cheap, but I would have gotten a screen-accurate jacket if it were possible on the cheap (but since the closest I found that was screen-accurate was on eBay, the person was asking $60, not including shipping and handling, which I couldn't afford).

Well...I mulled it over and went back for the coat. It's not 100% accurate, but it's damn close. I figured it was an easy enough costume and I've already got the beard and hair for it. But if something happens I can always sell the jacket down the road if I needed to. Let me know what you think.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back