My next Can-I-Really-Do-This? project: the STV AMT Refit Model

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Chrisisall, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

See, I don't have enough headaches in my life, so I decided to do this model that I just got on eBay...
    [​IMG]
    The 1/1000 was too small for me, the 1:350 too big...
    Size matters, inaccuracies do not.

I want more of these styrene sheets, Kirk. Many, many more. I will fabricate with them. :lol

My recent paint job on my Art Asylum WOK toy
    [​IMG]
    made me want to do it up in a bigger scale, with more detail.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I got the kit today:

[​IMG]

First impressions:
    Floor tiles on the hull not as thick & obtrusive as I'd expected- sanding will be a lot easier than I thought!
    The missing/too small bumpy ridges in the front of the nacelles- I won't bother too much with that (maybe just a little). The bridge dome just needs to be taken down in height a tad. The planetary sensor piece I'll go nuts on though, the dome is way too small and the rest of the piece needs to be radically re-shaped. For me it's the most serious error on the kit. Photon torpedo piece will be an easy fix. Sanding the hull will take the most time- not difficult, just extensive.[​IMG] Deflector dish housing I have some ideas for...

I decided not to light it- sculpting & painting is more my thing, so I'll let this be just as pretty a 'statue' as I can make her.[​IMG]

I'd be interested in pictures of other folks builds & advice/input on this, if you'd be so kind...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I have this kit as well, it's currentlly taking a time out because i hate sanding.

The plan is that it's going to have wrath of khan battle damage and go with the reliant in the same scale.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit.
    Should be a fun project and I can't wait for your updates.

4. Darph Bobo

Darph Bobo Well-Known Member

You can get a LOT of replacement parts and various lighting kits from Don`s light and Magic! Another good place to go is Staship Modeler.

Have fun with the build, post lots of pics!

5. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Reliant kit has a much more accurate version of the same part.

The ST V Enterprise was the first model kit I ever built, over 20 years ago.
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! :thumbsup

6. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

My God, I'm such a dope! :facepalmAnd I did a Bozeman version of it, so the extra part has to be here somewhere- I NEVER throw good styrene out!

YES!!! You ROCK DB!! Thank you!

[​IMG]

:lol

7. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Have I said this before Chris...

I love that Bozeman!!!

OK... proceed and I shall follow along...

8. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Nice...I love it when things like that happen!

9. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

A new pic or 2 for ya then:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

You certainly have some interesting odds and ends in your workshop: what appears to be a watermelon in a marshmallow can (?), a stuffed bunny rabbit...and what kind of telescope/spotting scope is that in the top picture?

11. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

I thought that sounded familiar. Took me about ten minutes to figure out that you were paraphrasing Tyree!:facepalm

12. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Jst a telescope for lookin' at stars. LOL, ya got the Tyree thing!:thumbsup

13. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

Yeah, I was just curious: I've got a few 'scopes myself. I didn't recognize yours.

lol, when I read that, I kept thinking of Cloud William for some reason! But it just didn't make sense to say "That styrene which is ours, is ours again!":lol