My MR Sparrow Compass and Flintlock PICTURES

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Montagar, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Here are pics of the MR Sparrow compass and flintlock (just picked them up today and took some quick pics).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Great photography.

And... Just how many schillings did these set you back.?

3. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Is that real wood on the pistol? Does the hammer drop when you pull the trigger?

Looks great

4. BigDumbWookiee

BigDumbWookiee Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hirohawa @ Jun 28 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]1270127[/snapback]</div>
    No on both counts. The wood is simulated (in resin or similar, methinks), and the hammer and trigger are both static.

5. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(BigDumbWookiee @ Jun 28 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]1270129[/snapback]</div>
    Too bad. That's a wicked, rippin' shame.

6. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Niiiice.

BTW, did you weather the coin yourself?
    I have one of those coins but it's not weathered .

DS

7. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(DARTH SABER @ Jun 28 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]1270160[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the coin is MR but the weathering and chain/clasp are custom.

8. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 28 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]1270101[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, your welcome, thanks... And... I have an MR dealer in my area that I buy all of my stuff from, so I get pretty good deals on this stuff. ;)

Now that the pricing guidlines are gone for the dealers, I am seeing prices on-line as low as $169.95 for the flintlock which is pretty darn low.

9. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

Well, I have to admit, that I´m a little bit disappointed. The pistol as well a s the compass look very toyish to me. The wood and leather don´t look like it is supposed to be :cry

Domenik

10. PHArchivist

I've seen the toy -- this looks great. ;)

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Where's the frame display?

12. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(Scarecrow @ Jun 28 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]1270346[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not going to be using them, so I didn't bother removing them from the box.

13. oxbeard

oxbeard Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jun 28 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1270366[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not going to be using them, so I didn't bother removing them from the box.
    [/b][/quote]

I feel the same. I've still got to pick these up but not planning on using the display frames. I would have preferred a different type of display. Just means I'll have to come up with something on my own. But I really think these will look great displayed with the CM Jack Sparrow when it finally comes out.

14. Utinni

Utinni Sr Member

Hmmm... I haven't seen if it was changed, but the pictures I have access to of the P2 hero compass before production started, the MR version isn't close at all concerning the Compas Dial details. The biggest one is the "North" marker, MR's is Red and the one in my picture is Blue. Also the inner "triangle" markers aren't even the same look or colors. Also, the "ivory" is supposed to be an INLAY, as in flush with the wood.

But I know what goes into making one of these and for a small prop, there are a TON of details most people don't even notice or just don't take the time to do them. Overall for 90% of the Pirates Fanbase, they'll be totally happy with it and MR did a decent job on it. But for the hardcore Sparrows out there in the know about such things, I see them passing it up.

Jeff

15. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Not too bad. Not bad at all. But I echo the comments about it being a shame that the flintlock isn't wooden.

16. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(Utinni @ Jun 28 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]1270401[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the pic that was posted by Roboprop of the hero prop (notice the "North" marker is red, but haven't seen the movie yet so I am not sure what is seen on screen).

[​IMG]

17. Utinni

Utinni Sr Member

Hmmm.... they may have changed it, as I mentioned the pictures I have are early pre-production pictures... I'll have to check with my inside source....

Jeff

18. roboprop

roboprop Well-Known Member

And.....here's a few pictures of the hero gun as well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All screen used hero props...
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.

Darrin

19. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

Where did you have take those photos? :eek
    Amazing stuff... I think I will make my own compass, any measurements? :love

20. DARTH SABER

Just wanted to point out that if you pick up the "Pirates of the Caribbean - The VIsual Guide" , the compass in the book is the exact same screen used prop that Roboprop posted.

DS

21. amish

amish Sr Member

I have never been much of a fan of the POTC props, but I am really digging that compass.

22. PHArchivist

Greatest thing about the compass (to me at least) is how it plays intoone of the best moments of the film -- when Jack punctuates his final line by snapping the compass closed... "Drink up me 'earties yo ho."

23. roboprop

Here's another angle of the compass...

[​IMG]

and a quick shot of the Dead Man's chests, just for kicks...

[​IMG]

Darrin

24. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Cool pics of the real props. The MR stuff looks okay but for the price I can get a real working flintlock pistol that would look better.

25. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the great pics.

Domenik

26. roboprop

Yes, the actual color is brown and not black. Think dark wood with ivory trim.

The picture in the Visual Dictionary is a very good depiction of what it should look like.

Darrin

27. PHArchivist

Is the Visual Dictionary still in stores? Amazon...?

28. DARTH SABER

I picked one up the last time I went to the bookstore (Barnes & Noble or Borders...Can't remember which one)

It's actually called the "Visual GIUDE" though.

29. roboprop

30. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Roboprop, those picture are amazing....you wouldnt happen to have any other pics of the compass would you? Im finishing mine up right now and it would be a great help.
    Thanks.

31. TKBIG

TKBIG Active Member

Great pics.
    I need to get that book for my kids. :)

32. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(roboprop @ Jul 4 2006, 06:26 AM) [snapback]1273768[/snapback]</div>
    Got it today, thanks for the tipoff.

33. roboprop

<div class='quotetop'>(nickthsaberman @ Jul 5 2006, 07:46 AM) [snapback]1274315[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry man, just the ones that I posted.

What other details are you looking for?

Darrin

34. morsemg

morsemg New Member

I was wondering if anyone had any more pics of the flintlock, I'm interested in replicating that this summer.

35. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(roboprop @ Jul 7 2006, 01:52 AM) [snapback]1275598[/snapback]</div>
    Well, back when the first flick came out, I saved a bunch of high res pics of the first movie compass....The differences seem to be minimal, but I just wanted to make sure I have everything covered:)

Specifically the top of the closed compass and the backside. (ill just assume it stayed the same from the first flick) So far, the only difference appears to be the graphic on the spinning section.

36. roboprop

I should have something for you on Monday. ;)

BTW- I saw the movie last night....absolutely fantastic...

Darrin

37. PHArchivist

So... If you had to choose between the sword and the pistol, which would you get?

38. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone have the toy compass from the "Jack Sparrow's Pirate Gear" role-play set? Could you post pics for comparison?

39. DARTH SABER

<div class='quotetop'>(roboprop @ Jul 4 2006, 01:06 AM) [snapback]1273736[/snapback]</div>
    you know what's odd?

The MR replica of the compass is a greyish black under certain ligthing conditions....However when I put it under my desklamp it looks dark brown. Is it possible that maybe the original prop is also a blackish color under certain lighting as well?.

here's a photo I took under natural lighting -
    [​IMG]

DS

40. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Saber...I really dig how you have displayed the "coin." Did you make that fram yourself? Which version is it BTW? Also...is that the MR key? They looked abit like toys online but yours looks great. Or did you age it yourself? LOL Sorry for all the questions:)

Regards
    TAZ

Oh...forgot...Montagar. Is that by anychance a Magnoli chain? I was thinking of getting one from Tony. That looks really sweet:)

Regards
    TAZ

41. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(TazVader @ Jul 9 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1277170[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it is... and it is really sweet. :thumbsup

42. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(E Williams @ Jul 9 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]1277087[/snapback]</div>
    I have the toy compass from the pirate set you mention, plus one other. The pirate set toy seems to be more correct in dimensions, but the other just plain looks better...

Here is the "other" toy...

43. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry for the slight hijack...

Where's the "other" from? Is it the mega-blocks one?

Would you mind posting a pic of the pirate set one? It might not look the best as is, but it could always be repainted/modified...

Thanks.

44. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(E Williams @ Jul 9 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1277252[/snapback]</div>
    I think so. It had a small off-brand "lego" set in it...

I'll try to post a pic ot the pirate set one.

Suppose they should go in another thread? Any voices of dissent for posting them here?

45. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 9 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]1277424[/snapback]</div>
    Since I am the one that started this thread and I have no problem with it, post away. :thumbsup

46. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jul 9 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]1277431[/snapback]</div>
    Since I am the one that started this thread and I have no problem with it, post away. :thumbsup
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks Montagar.

47. roboprop

I just did and internet search and found a few pictures of the compass from the first movie....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just some reference for you guys. ;)

Darrin

48. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Great pics Robo.

Montagar, thansk for the answer. That seals the deal for me.....LOL

Regards
    TAZ

49. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Please forgive an ignorant question if this has been asked before, but who is "Perry London"? Is this the manufacterer of Jack's flintlock, or perhaps the previous owner he stole it from?
    [​IMG]

50. roboprop

Perry of London was the builder of the original gun which dates back to the 1700's.

Darrin