My Mr I build

oneuglymf

loosley followed the pinned mr I huntorial and Jaded's skin thread. My talented friend Robert Fordham (Local Artist) will be painting my suit to match the Paintjob Lee did on my P1 Mask.

Anyways, by now, we all know how to do this, and I can't possibly write up a better tutorial, so don't consider this a "How-to"

Materials used were 1 Gallon Monster maker latex
1 Mr I suit
4 rolls of duct tape
Wig-head
some foam brushes
3 packages of pom poms in different sizes
old hair dryer and a pedestal fan

I used pom poms to make the bumps on the skin. got the idea from Jaded's thread.

Me in the old Mr I suit, makin sure it fits

img00081201009081540.jpg.png

Old Tapey

img00098201009121048.jpg.png

Trying to envision the finished product. VISUALIZE PPL!!! I'm tellin ya!

img00099201009130848.jpg.png

The good stuff

img00111201009141437.jpg.png

First, I dab the pom poms in the latex and stuck them on the suit. Later I realize "Tis better to have put a coat of latex on, prior to applying pom poms, then to have no coat of latex, at all"

img00117201009141835.jpg.png

Now it is just a matter of layers upon layers, and drying time. We don't need a caption for each of these. ;)

img00119201009151616.jpg.png

img00120201009152052.jpg.png

img00122201009152052.jpg.png

img00126201009160907.jpg.png

img00128201009160922.jpg.png

img00129201009161016.jpg.png

img00130201009161028.jpg.png

img00131201009161050.jpg.png

img00132201009161212.jpg.png

this is how it sits now.

dsc8430.jpg.png

dsc8431.jpg.png

dsc8432.jpg.png

dsc8442nef.jpg.png

dsc8445nef.jpg.png

While I've certainly seen better, for my first attempt, I'm satisfied this will look ok once the paint has been applied.

Any tips or tricks are welcomed and appreciated, and I ran out of latex and used my extra scratch for armour, so this will have to do for now. :S

Simon

the whole suit is covered. The Latex dries clear when it is thin, but there are several coats on there. Should hold the paint np.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES IN YOUR REPLIES.

Hey mate,

I did something similar and out of a captain America suit.......its in this section under Stus predator suit if ya want to look at it and leave a comment !!
ur doing good and it will turn out cool enough as u said at the start visualise the finished product......hope my tutorial helps if u look it up,

Stuart.

It's coming along good so far. I was going to do the pom-poms on my suit, but they kept sliding around in the latex and were generally difficult to work with, so I just scrapped the idea. It looks like you either found a way to do it conveniently, or maybe it worked out better to not have a layer of latex on the suit first. Or maybe it would have been better to have a layer of latex on the suit that was already dried, then dip the pom-poms in latex and stick them on the suit.

(Oh, and I should probably be working on your countdown timer instead of posting on the Lair. I'll get back to work now...)

Ok Im gonna try this again........."Oneuglymf" this is the second time you have said that I have quoted pics in my replies I got a bit annoyed by ur comment firstly but now that this is the second time I realise Im obviously doing something wrong ?? I add my replies at the end of threads...is that not the way ??

Stuart.

Stuart, sorry man, you're mistaken, I did that once. Its super annoying to see all of the pictures from the first post over again. This time, what you are seeing is the moderators modifying your post, not I. You needn't hit *"reply * if all you want to do iss write a reply, just hit "+ Fast reply" and you will succeed in entering a message without quoting the pics. Not to worry bro ;) You'll get the hang of it here soon enough. Also, I usually type in point form because I'm running after my 11mth old son (Stay at home Dad) so often my posts are viewed as curt or sharp, when in fact I'm just pressed for time and don't have a second to be all flowery and sweet, LOL! Don't take it out of context though, I'm a laid back easy to get along with guy.

Looks awesome my mr i just came in in about 3 days the shortest delivery Ive every had actually it was more like two and I am in RI and their across the country in CA. Okay way off topic but I noticed that your suit before the latex had some baggyness so does mine but I am really skinny I dont know about you Ill probabaly have to make some alterations on it...

I'm 6'2, 215lbs, and there is some slight looseneess in the fabric suit, but now that the latex has dried, the fabric is tighter now, as it shinks during the curing process.

Ol Tapey was getting a bit of base coating done. First small bit of color on him, and I can't wait to see more.

nl7ogp.jpg

212wzdj.jpg

you can REALLY see the details in the shoulder here. hey, the shoulder. Stop looking at his tongue.

jptp44.jpg

somehow things always go south

2gvuayw.jpg

More progress pics to follow. Stay tuned.

212wzdj.jpg

jptp44.jpg

2gvuayw.jpg

Looking good matey, I wish I had done this instead of going for a painted Lycra suit sometimes as I've got chicken legs! :mad: keep the updates coming

Mocked up the armour on the skin. yes I know it looks lopsided but when its on me it isn't. the Dummy is experiencing structural integrity issues. LOL! scored some more liquid latex today to patch some areas and add some more details. more to come.

dsc9693large.jpg.png

dsc9694large.jpg.png

dsc9695large.jpg.png

The suit and paint up look really good. The armor is really unique and looks great! Can't wait to see your suit progress even further.

Thanks 'Munsy!

I did some skin grafting yesterday. I'm still filling in the "seams" areas and will do some light sanding to blend them in. Though I must say, as he stands, he looks quite battle scarred, and I digs it. :)

So, here are some photos. I did some quick and dirty edits in PS to show the details. sorry for the size, but its all I'm allowed. if anyone wants a high res dl, lmk, and I'll send them to you via flickr.

Anyway, I made these bits of skin using a cobblestone fondant mold meant for cake decorating. I think it gives it a fairly reptilian feel. Yes I realize the latex appears thicker on one side, and there's a good explanation for that. it is. as most of you know, liquid latex is friggin expensive if you have a big area to work with, so these skins are from my very first learning attempts with using latex, so they aren't all uniformed thickness. once they are painted and the netting goes over no one will notice.

dsc7900large.jpg.png

dsc9834copylarge.jpg.png

dsc9838copylarge.jpg.png

dsc9840copylarge.jpg.png

dsc9841copylarge.jpg.png

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back