My Mjolnir build: COMPLETE (pg.2)

BRRogers

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
NO longer a screen-cap or reference thread:

Timeline:
*UPDATE 11/30* Hammer begun for Christmas. Pictures and progress below starting on post #7.
*UPDATE 12/08* First layers of bondo/sanding/priming executed.
*UPDATE 12/16* Majority of 'body work' completed.
*UPDATE 12/20* Text engraving with dremel completed.
*UPDATE 12/22* Finished the head. Also, wrapped the handle. 99% done
*FINAL UPDATE Christmas day*
165090_689941659793_57212392_37118740_1344280_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Screen-grab request! Iron Man 2: Spoiler

Any updates for clarity? I know there is some detail on the sides. And I REALLY want to make this.

I've got the whole movie less the credits , but it's not a good copy. Will have to wait a few weeks for a good clear copy and I can get you all the shots you need .

I think the details on the sides are Nordic runes. I could be wrong though.

OK:
This is a necro-bump, but I'm turning this into a progress thread for my Mjolnir project.

My initial idea was to try and re-create the 2011 film Mjolnir for my father whom in his youth was an avid Thor and Avengers reader.

He likes to tout that I got my costuming bug from him, always telling me the story about how when he was little he made his own costumes. His favorite being THOR! His mother made him a cape and he had fashioned his THOR shirt by gluing felt circles onto a shirt. The hammer he made by duct taping drinking cups together with a paper-towel tube for the handle. He even made the helmet, taking an old football helmet and gluing wings to it.
He loved that costume, and he was right... his genes are in my blood and so this Christmas I thought it would be nice to honor that.
My father has been there for me more than ever this past year in the wake of my depression, and I really wanted to do something for him this Christmas. My costuming up to this point has been about me and MY hobby, but as a symbol of gratitude I'm making this for him... and I want to get used to making things for other people on a regular basis ;)

Anyway:
Dad is not thrilled about the new movie. He's a traditionalist, and THIS
thor.jpg
thor_logo_3.gif

...Is the THOR that he knew and loved. So that is what I am going to re-create:
Of course, it begins with materials research:
I happened to find a very nice PVC Rod (pre-cut, 19 inches) at a industrial surplus store in FL. (SkyCraft) Good weight: 1 dollar: really durable.

Searching the forums, I came across GodOfThunder's build, I liked the idea of constructing a shell, then using expanding foam to create the density, however I wanted to expand on two things.
1. It needed to be BIG and it needs to feel hefty... (My father is 6'2 and VERY strong)
2. Shape wise: My father identifies with the early 60's through 70's iterations of the hammer... which had a tendency to be drawn longer than most other member's in a lot of the comics that I remember him having. Hence the lengthened shape.
2. I wanted it to have something I could sand into that would hold up better than cardboard... so I'm using Bass wood.
IMG_0207.jpg

So here was my cardboard prototype before alterations:
IMG_0206.jpg

It's pretty big, especially for me as you can see.
The Dimensions:
Head roughly 4 x 4.5 x 9 (including the beveled ends)
Handle 14 in. + 4 into the head (18 overall)
Peen 3.25 in. diameter

Here is the solution I came up with in order to add weight, as well as be able to swing the hammer around without worry of the head coming off:
IMG_0210.jpg

One 6" bolt goes through the pipe, held secure by hex nuts, and additional weight is added by iron anchoring washers. (3in) All of those elements are additionally secured by Industrial-Grade Hot-glue.
I haven't gotten to weigh it yet, but the head structure and handle alone feel about like 10 lbs.

Here is the hollow bass-wood head. Un-finished.
IMG_0211.jpg

To secure the head to the handle, I glued the top of the PVC handle to the center of the interior of the head.... and then filled the head with the expanding foam... where I now wait until the morning to carve, add the bottom plate, and sand it smooth...etc etc.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

As far as the inscription on the side... I was thinking that I would exacto out the lettering from a piece of illustration board, then create a *stamp* which I could imprint the letters into the side of the hammer while my sculpting medium was wet. (Likely bondo/ plumbing putty, etc)

Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Re: 60's-80's Mjolnir for my Dad: (In Progress)

Pretty cool build. I especially like the use of the expanding foam.

Another update:
Didn't get too much today.
Just had to reshape some of the head (I under-estimated the foam expansion)
And I sanded the edges to their proper profiles. Tomorrow I'll get to bondo.
I also bought leather, dye, and paints today.... and did a little 'dressing' to get the vibe of the hammer.
e671862a.jpg

This should give yall an idea of the scale :)
02ee4428.jpg

What do you guys think of this design for the side?
My idea was to print it mirrored, transfer it to illustration board where I would cut out the letters individually to mount them on a solid board (Making a texture stamp) Then when the Bondo stage is under-way, I would imprint it into the wet medium...creating a permanent embossing.

If you guys have any particular font suggestions, or general; for completing this design, feel free to input!
Screenshot2010-12-02at42127PM.png

(Edit: I just realized that the punctuation marks weren't included in this particular font-set... but I would add them later)

Here are some other iterations as well:
Screenshot2010-12-02at41007PM.png

Screenshot2010-12-02at41021PM.png

Last edited:
Re: Mjolnir build: (In Progress)[SCRIPT ADVICE PLZ!]

just want to share
i also make the mjolnir,maybe it can inspire you

thor hammer progress

SP_A0547.jpg

SP_A0546.jpg

SP_A0550.jpg

SP_A0663.jpg

edit8.jpg

i build the hammer's head from the real full stone n the handle made from stainless steel pipe n coverd by a leather
but that mjolnir is not exactly like the movie
hope that can help you

Update Dec 8th:
Work on the hammer has been slower than I would like, but I am making progress none the less. The battle of cold weather vs. bondo curing time (x) hardener.
Since last time: I've dyed the leather, made various thicknesses of it to get variety in the handle wrap, and begun the additive/ subtractive process of body filler on the head of the hammer.
Dad still doesn't know what I'm working on... But now he knows it's for him, and he keeps getting really agitated when I go out to work on it with his tools. Haha, I'm really getting a kick out of this.

Here is a mockup of the leather and the first coat of bondo and primer. (and size reference next to a basic, full size hammer)
8be52531.jpg

Unfortunately, the "stamp" I made was ill conceived, and even more poorly executed, so I wound up with a garbled mess on the text side.. which I have sanded out and am re-filling. I'm going to just stencil the letters in and carve it out with a dremel.

Here's the hammer at stage 3: balancing un-aided on it's end! I'm very pleased at the weight distribution on this so far.. my PVC pipe handle was a wonderful find.
3c222ebb.jpg

Oh lilz! Didn't see you post.

I saw your work in your thread... very nicely done and 'clean'.
I love that design of the hammer,... (I would have done it if my Dad hadn't "poo-pooed" the new design)
But I'm just blown away by the quality of the paint job on your Captain America shields. Definitely some of the best I've seen.

Excellent work! I may have to build my own Mjolnir one of these days, it seems like a fun project!

Do a search for this -- I have done several of these and there is a lot of info--dont want to hijack your thread

Do a search for this -- I have done several of these and there is a lot of info--dont want to hijack your thread

Search for what? Reference? Maybe I should update my OP since it was from about 7 months ago, and all kinds of reference has come up since then.

Actually Eaglewood, I have a couple of your hammer images in my reference, file! Your heads are a thing of beauty..
Though, if I wasn't so bent on making this myself, I probably would've contacted you about a resin-cast.

When I was first going to try to make it 7 months ago, I wanted to do the 2011 movie version. But after my dad said he didn't like the design, I decided to go 'traditional'. Now, references (including yours) are easy to find at this point.

At any rate, I probably should have started a new thread not demanding pictures at the beginning from 7 months ago. I just thought it would be cool to put the build all in the same place as the initial thought. :love

Oh lilz! Didn't see you post.

I saw your work in your thread... very nicely done and 'clean'.
I love that design of the hammer,... (I would have done it if my Dad hadn't "poo-pooed" the new design)
But I'm just blown away by the quality of the paint job on your Captain America shields. Definitely some of the best I've seen.

hehehehe
thankz bro for the apresiation

i really love with the handle of your mjolnir
i want make the handle like yours

Re: My Mjolnir build: WIP

Got a little more done today, this cold weather is a major bummer.

Sand, prime, sand, bondo, prime.... I filled the hollow handle with resin today so the weight of the hammer is about 8 lbs over-all. Mostly in the head of course, so it feels heavier when you're holding it by the handle. It feels really, really nice... of course, it looks way heavier than it feels at this point.

Tomorrow I'll probably work on the texture a bit more and the cap and maybe stencil out my template for the text and "scratches" (I'm going through old THOR art to see which scratches are the most consistent with the time-frame that my father read). After that it'll be etching the text/ weathering/ paint/ leather/ giftwrap/ put under the tree (so to speak)

*will have pics tomorrow*

Last edited:
Re: My Mjolnir build: WIP

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

UP next, I'll be using plumbing putty (basically epoxy clay) to sharpen my details and fill in the gaps on the cap and the edges of the head.
I have a feeling I'm going to wind up using something rudimentary to get the "battle damage" on there, so I'll just sculpt the details of that with the putty as well. I just realized I don't have a dremel tool to access until Christmas, so I've got to do as much as I can without without the script before then :(

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back