My Lifesize 1:1 Jawa Build - 1st Attempt

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always wanted to build one to add to my mini theater, thinking it wouldn't be nearly as expensive or complicated as my Boba Fett or HIC. I told my wife I could do it for under $150, lets see how it goes.

The body frame is being built with 1/2 schedule 40 pipe. The head is a styrofoam ball from Walmart.

jawa1.jpg

jawa2.jpg

jawa3.jpg

After stepping back I noticed the frame was a bit too wide and a bit too broad at the top of the shoulders. I am using my 3 and 5 years old to get some approximate sizing. I decided to take the top of the shoulders in a bit and pulled about 2" out in the body width.

jawa4.jpg

I am using the same trick for the eyes that I used on my HIC panel. Those 25 cent toy machine dispenser capsules, the small ones. I bought 2, drilled holes on the bottom, and added 2 orange LEDs on a resistor so I could power them with one 9V battery. I then partially filled them with hot glue to help diffuse the light.

jawa5.jpg

jawa6.jpg

I shaped down the head, added the eyes, and placed a toggle switch at the bottom that can be accessed from under the Jawa's cloak. I also wrapped the head in black duck tape.

jawa7.jpg

I bought some real cheap fabric, $2.00 a yard, that I'll wrap the head in. It has a pattern that you can see in front of the eyes that I think looks real good.

jawa8.jpg

So far here is where I stand on budget:

Pipe and Connectors - $8.00
Head - $10.00
Eye Capsules - $1.00
LEDs and Switch - $8.00
Black Duck Tape - $2.00
Fabric - $2.00

Subtotal - $31.00

Last edited:
Re: My Lifesize Jawa Build - 1st Attempt

I knew the most expensive part would be the bandoliers, I have seen them going easily for over $100.00 each. I am not spending that much, especially since screen accuracy is not something I worry about. I went to my local Army Surplus store and after walking around for about a half hour I found these ammo pouches and straps. I figure I would be able to dye these and use paint to weather / highlight.

jawa9.jpg

I bought 6 pouches, only 4 of which are the same size, and 2 straps. After dying them and touching them up with some acrylic paint, I think I am satisfied (I will still be weathering these with some tan and brown colored paint as well as some black charcoal). I was going to try and lighten them, but after holding them against the fabric I bought for the cloak, I think I like it darker. Any lighter and it would be too close to the fabric for my liking.

jawa10.jpg

The total on these was $32.00 plus $5.00 for dye / paint.

Brings my subtotal to about $68.00.

Last edited:

For the gun, I am requisitioning my son's Disneyland "Pirates of the Caribbean" pistol. Santa was good this year and he is intrigued by this project, so I don't think he minds.

jawa11.jpg

I disassembled the pistol and removed the electronics.

jawa12.jpg

After removing the electronics I noticed the gun was very light, and by the time I add the PVC pieces, it will be front heavy. So I hot glued a bunch of nuts and bolts into the handle and near the barrel to help balance it. I cut off the front portion of the gun barrel and used a 5/8" wooden dowel and leftover schedule 40 to rebuild it.

jawa13.jpg

I bought a few more plumbing fixtures of various different sizes and finished out the barrel. I also took a piece of scrap wood and shaped it so I could add it as a magazine.

jawa14.jpg

The barrel end is just a bit shorter than I would like, but I am about to take a trip to Home Depot / Lowes to see if I can extend it a little. If not, it will have to do. I am also looking to add some other odds and ends to finish out the entire gun.

Although the pistol is something I already had on hand, I need to figure it into the cost. It was about $20.00, and the plumbing fixtures and wooden dowel were another $9.00.

This brings the entire project's subtotal to about $97.00.

Last edited:

Nice start! Especially like the blaster. My little girl has just asked me to make her a Jawa costume so I'll be watching this with interest.

Great start! I've had my PVC mannequin made for 6 years and still haven't finished it. :lol Kinda sad I know.. I even have material here for the robe, I just need to learn how to dye it properly.

I'll be watching for more inspiration..

Thanks guys.

Took another quick trip to the Depot and picked up a few last pieces for the blaster. I have taken several liberties with the design. I really wanted to replicate the bolt lever of the old Lee Ensfield, so I threw something together with copper wire and two cap nuts. It's OK, I think once I paint this it will come together.

I added a hose clamp to the barrel, a 1/2 inch PVC pipe repair half to the top, some metal Woodruff keys to the right side, and I wanted to do something inside the front barrel so I added 1/2 PVC grooved pipe and a plug.

All I have left on this is the magazine and then it's ready for primer.

jawa15.jpg

jawa16.jpg

jawa17.jpg

jawa18.jpg

Another $10, puts me at $107.00 thus far.

Last edited:

For the hands I am modifying the design that I did for my Stormtrooper. I bought a pair of children's gloves for $1.00 at Target. I took a 1/2" PVC coupler and shortened it. I also bought some lengths of medium gauge copper wire for the fingers. This will make the hand much stronger and will let it hold its shape and the weight of the blaster.

I then cut the wires to length and hot glued rubber nail protectors to the tips. The wire is held into the coupler with 5 minute epoxy putty; they won't budge no matter how many times you re-position them. I still need to fill out the fingers and palm, but you get the idea.

When I am done, the 1/2" coupler will slide right onto the arms. These work great if you want pose-able hands.

jawa20.jpg

jawa19.jpg

Last edited:

Amazing work. Really smart thinking.

Funny - the pipe framework with the foam head on reminds
Me of somw of those sad-looking flesh fair robots from AI

Great work on the hands, I might have to borrow that idea for my own. On my first one I just used wire shaped like a hand (like when you draw around your hand with a pen) they looked good but weren't sturdy enough to hold anything.

Jawa looks great so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

TallDarkandDisfigured -

Your avatar made me laugh, I love it. :lol

Best,
DBCooper

Finished up the hands and did some work on the blaster. For the hands, I loosely wrapped each finger with duck tape (if you ever try this, don't wrap them tight, you'll never get them to bend). I then built up the palms and wrists (not pictured). The gloves fit nicely and they feel sturdy.

jawa21.JPG

jawa22.JPG

Also did a little work on the blaster. I finished up the magazine, I cut up a "For Sale" sign for the side detail. Did a few other touch ups, then hit it with the first coat of primer. I like it, I think it will look much better after final paint and weathering.

jawa23.JPG

jawa24.JPG

I remember seeing a Jawa blaster kit on eBay for around $75.00, but not in a while. I'd love to eventually get a more accurate one, but for the money, I can live with this for now.

There's a lot more I could have done to this gun, but I really didn't want to get too wrapped up in it. This was a last minute project that I was finally able to pull the trigger on, keeping my fingers crossed it turns out the way I envisioned.

Last edited:

Looking good so far. I love the repurposed POTC gun. I did a simliar thing for my wifes Baroness costume for last Halloween with some old laser tag guns.

Thanks for all the great comments. I am getting ready to tackle the robe, which has stalled me a bit. Just want to get it right the first time.

Last edited:

Looking good so far. I love the repurposed POTC gun. I did a simliar thing for my wifes Baroness costume for last Halloween with some old laser tag guns.

Thanks! It's a lot of fun, although time consuming, to build something like this from scratch with a Laser Tag or other toy gun. Very rewarding when it comes out how you expected, and extremely frustrating when it doesn't!

My camera died so bear with me on the photos.

Today I had to do a quick fix with the height. After placing my frame next to my Stormtrooper, I realized the Jawa was too short for my liking (about 36.5"). So I added about 3.5" to the body (2.25" inches to the body and 1.25" to the neck). This is the final result, which I am happy with. Now it puts him at just above 40". His neck may look a bit long in the first photo, but by the time I add padding to the shoulders and body, it will fill in. I did a quick test with the robe material and I can live with this. I also wrapped his head in the black mesh fabric, but decided to leave the eyes uncovered.

jawa25.JPG

jawa26.JPG

Next I finalized the hand position for the blaster. These came out great; holds the blaster perfectly. I'm real happy with how this turned out. I used pliers to bend the fingers to the right position, that's how thick the copper wire is I used. They won't move a bit.

jawa27.JPG

jawa28.JPG

jawa29.JPG

It's getting there. I need to do some final tweaking on the blaster (removing some of the PVC markings and covering some of the ornate detail) before I move onto the final coat and weathering.

I'll try and work on the robe next.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back