My Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary Builds

Prologic9

Earlier in the year I decided to put together a set of legacy props from Ghostbusters (by 'legacy' I mean I'm absolutely not going to sell them this time, nope nope nope nope nope).

In actuality the reason I got fired up at the time wasn't because it was the 35th anniversary of the film, but because I'd noticed a downward trend in the GB prop building community. A lot of sources have been drying up, and I worried there was a chance I wouldn't be able to do the kinds of builds I wanted if I waited much longer.

Then like a week later, after I've spent _______dollars on proton packs and ghost traps and gizmos and who knows, they announce Ghostbusters III-- which I assume will be healthy for the prop enthusiasts.

So then... I recently finished my first piece; a hero Proton Pack.

Spooky photos:

0ZXwYuG.jpg

OYiRqtX.jpg

5y6LeX0.jpg

9MjPdfP.jpg

aAmvLBG.jpg

L3IsH1N.jpg

fxQjKt2.jpg

yWjp5mV.jpg

YYVIKt4.jpg

FPR7KKV.jpg

Last edited:
Earlier in the year I decided to put together a set of legacy props from Ghostbusters (by 'legacy' I mean I'm absolutely not going to sell them this time, nope nope nope nope nope).

In actuality the reason I got fired up at the time wasn't because it was the 35th anniversary of the film, but because I'd noticed a downward trend in the GB prop building community. A lot of sources have been drying up, and I worried there was a chance I wouldn't be able to do the kinds of builds I wanted if I waited much longer.

Then like a week later, after I've spent _______dollars on proton packs and ghost traps and gizmos and who knows, they announce Ghostbusters III-- which I assume will be healthy for the prop enthusiasts.

So then... I recently finished my first piece; a hero Proton Pack.

Spooky photos:

View attachment 1037748
View attachment 1037749
View attachment 1037750
View attachment 1037751
View attachment 1037752
View attachment 1037753
View attachment 1037754
View attachment 1037755
View attachment 1037756
View attachment 1037757
That looks fantastic!

Thank everyone!
Wow! That’s gorgeous! Love the smoke effect too!

Do you have a breakdown of the parts you used?

Sean

Most of the parts I got second hand from a single Ebay auction lot. I couldn't tell for certain their origin, I know they aren't from any of the current crafters out there.

The auction lot was one of those dream scenarios where you have half a jigsaw puzzle with randomly missing pieces and here comes this one auction with the exact matching complement. It had a full set of impeccable aluminum parts. Like the Ion Arm is totally GB1 accurate with copper rods. There were vintage clippard valves and milky white hat lights and metallic labels and dryrub transfers. Screen cast wand handles (that suck). Cast rubber ALICE spacers. I wasn't even considering this level of accuracy at first because no one really offers this stuff anymore.

So after getting all that I had to adjust my approach. I had a BenofKent shell that I love, but I decided to get a GBfans shell for this build since its shape has more of the nuances of the original props. I replaced an LC-2 ALICE with a new-old-stock LC-1 complete with thin uncomfortable straps.

Any thoughts of it being light weight went out the window. (it's 32 pounds)

Most of the hardware is real and vintage. The legris elbows are 5mm instead of the screen accurate 4mm. The clippard barbs are new but I sawed off one prong from each of them. (modern ones have 5, the old ones had 4. Big difference.)

They gray resin bumper/ladder are from Heavyprops, also sold on the GBfans store.

The Bumper Bellow is an old aluminum one from Exoray. I really like this. There are a few people who sell aluminum ones today but the profiles are totally wrong. And real bellows are too fragile IMO. I lightly airbrushed the aluminum to get the bronze look.

The GB1 ribbon cable is from Fincher technologies and regularly sold on Ebay. I have 4 of these now all from different makers and Fincher's is the only one anybody should consider.

For the wand cable I used non-split loom tubing because I prefer solid shafts over slits, and the little rings are heatshrink instead of electrical tape.

LXYQgvM.jpg

Thank everyone!

Most of the parts I got second hand from a single Ebay auction lot. I couldn't tell for certain their origin, I know they aren't from any of the current crafters out there.

The auction lot was one of those dream scenarios where you have half a jigsaw puzzle with randomly missing pieces and here comes this one auction with the exact matching complement. It had a full set of impeccable aluminum parts. Like the Ion Arm is totally GB1 accurate with copper rods. There were vintage clippard valves and milky white hat lights and metallic labels and dryrub transfers. Screen cast wand handles (that suck). Cast rubber ALICE spacers. I wasn't even considering this level of accuracy at first because no one really offers this stuff anymore.

So after getting all that I had to adjust my approach. I had a BenofKent shell that I love, but I decided to get a GBfans shell for this build since its shape has more of the nuances of the original props. I replaced an LC-2 ALICE with a new-old-stock LC-1 complete with thin uncomfortable straps.

Any thoughts of it being light weight went out the window. (it's 32 pounds)

Most of the hardware is real and vintage. The legris elbows are 5mm instead of the screen accurate 4mm. The clippard barbs are new but I sawed off one prong from each of them. (modern ones have 5, the old ones had 4. Big difference.)

They gray resin bumper/ladder are from Heavyprops, also sold on the GBfans store.

The Bumper Bellow is an old aluminum one from Exoray. I really like this. There are a few people who sell aluminum ones today but the profiles are totally wrong. And real bellows are too fragile IMO. I lightly airbrushed the aluminum to get the bronze look.

The GB1 ribbon cable is from Fincher technologies and regularly sold on Ebay. I have 4 of these now all from different makers and Fincher's is the only one anybody should consider.

For the wand cable I used non-split loom tubing because I prefer solid shafts over slits, and the little rings are heatshrink instead of electrical tape.

Thanks for the breakdown! Beautiful work!

Sean

Thanks. Just thanks. This is exactly what I needed to remind myself I need to finish getting my parts together and build mine.
:lol:

Great work man, I love it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back