My foam Iron Man costume build.

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. Finished arms June 10th 2011

Greetings! I just joined the forum and this is great stuff! That's what I like about a hobby-the creative problem solving.
Cheers!

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. Finished arms June 10th 2011

Thank you Big_Water99, I have replied to your PM, if I can help in any other way please let me know.
As for under-armor, I am not sure yet, I plan on adding a lot of extra bits to the elbow joints so you wont see anything underneath, A neck seal and so on. I guess I should start looking around and see what I can find. I have a black under suit for my clonetrooper, I guess at a push that would work, but we will see.

I was asked in a pm how I was planning on getting in the suit once I had closed the back up. Here is my plan.
Leave the back open, put a couple of backpack clips on each side, this would allow someone to clip me in to it. then slip a piece of foam with velcro inbetween my back and the armor facing out, then on top of that velcro the back/spine plate on top, sandwiching the backpack clips inbetween.
Here's a quick drawing to help show what I mean.
What do you think?.
Closetheback.jpg

Since the spinal armor is somewhat recessed, you might be able to get away with tabs (with velcro) on the main torso part, and attach the spine directly. That will save you the layer thickness of the backing piece.

Ok so I have had enough of the horrible looking halloween mask Ironman Helmet. It doesn't go with the rest of the armour, the colour doesn't match, and the texture is different. So What to do?, The way I see it is I have Three options.
1) Buy a plastic Halloween suit to match the Helmet, um,,, NO!.
2) Buy a complete Ironman armor,,, um Wife say's we can't afford that!.
3) Build a Helmet out of foam so it will match texture wise plus I can paint it the same colour as the armor, ummmmm OK, looks like this is my only real option.

So now I have to turn this............
FoamMat.jpg

Into one of these........
iron_man_the_game_1.jpg

First thing first, draw some templates. I have drawn these all by hand, using pictures and a toy as reference.
HelmetPieces.jpg

Now I start to cut the pieces out one by one, and build up the helmet piece by piece.
I am only glueing a few pieces together at a time incase something needs to be altered.
Here is what I have so far.
IronmanHelmetpieces.jpg

And here is the pieces I have put together, held together by tape at the moment.
FoamHelmet.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed taking a look at my attempt at building an Ironman helmet out of foam. Will post more as soon as possible.

I hope you have enjoyed taking a look at my attempt at building an Ironman helmet out of foam. Will post more as soon as possible.

It's turning out great! Very cleaver. Can't wait to see more.

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. WORKING ON FOAM HELMET!..

ok small update, and this will be it for today (Yeah right). I don't know about anyone else but when I get on a role I just can't stop.
Anyway I did the top part of the faceplate, I also heated up the main faceplate piece to mold it, but molded it a bit to much, luckily it can be fixed by just reheating and molding again. Honestly this helmet building is going way easier then I thought it would.
Helmet1.jpg

Looks great! Careful when you pull that tape off your hair. lol

I made a foam helmet for my unfinished Mark VI suit that I am sure you've seen. Perhaps I could help you out if you have any Q's

ok small update, and this will be it for today (Yeah right). I don't know about anyone else but when I get on a role I just can't stop.
Anyway I did the top part of the faceplate, I also heated up the main faceplate piece to mold it, but molded it a bit to much, luckily it can be fixed by just reheating and molding again. Honestly this helmet building is going way easier then I thought it would.
Helmet1.jpg

You're definitely kicking ass with the suit, man. Now, I'm inspired to try a new build.

Thanks I appreciate the offer, You may be hearing from me depending on how the rest of the build goes lol.
Ands thank for all the kind words guys. and also thank you for not pointing out that the helmet at the moment looks like Ironman has lost his teeth!.
Oh and don't worry I covered the tape so it woulnd't stick to me, I don't need anymore of a bold spot forming just yet!!..

With your build and that armor you are quite intimidateing to look at! Completely AWESOME!!! Next you should do either HULK BUSTER or HEAVY ARTILLERY! You've got the skills. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

I like the "UNDER-TECH" you used. (the plastic bottles to attach the foam to)

Also, with that THICK of foam, if you get into a street fight, i guarantee you aint getting hurt.

Wow thanks guys, awesome compliments there.
I just googled Hulk buster and Heavy Artillery ironman, they look pretty sweet, I might have to try one next. Thanks.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back