My first badass skull helmet (needing advice)

PaperJack

Hello!
I am building a badass skull helmet, currently it's made out of poliurethane foam covered with paper mache and with a carton skeleton. On top of it, there are details made out of salt paste (yeah... I know, definitely not the best materials).
Here is a picture:
picture0012b.jpg

I'm planning to give it another layer of paper mache, cover it with an epoxy resin and then sand it where necessary and finally paint it.

Would the epoxy resin get absorbed by the paper, or damage the poliurethane foam?
And how strong would it get? I need it to be quite resistant and solid, but I'm not sure how hard is the epoxy resin as I've never used it before. Any tips on how to put it on this thing?

Last edited:
Re: Paper, poliurethane foam & epoxy resin

I think that the paper mache layer will protect the foam from the resin. You definitely have a lot of materials going on here. Best quality? Who's to say? You do what you can with what you have. There's no rule saying you have to use poly resin to make masks or they're crap. Paper Mache was good enough for the Italian maskmakers for centuries.

Also. Just a tip. If you're seeking advice, you should put it in the thread title. Your current title is very vague, and frankly uninteresting. Doesn't prompt anyone to click on it. From the initial glance it just looks like you want to tell people about paper... Also, you misspelled polyurethane.

Re: Paper, poliurethane foam & epoxy resin

I think that the paper mache layer will protect the foam from the resin. You definitely have a lot of materials going on here. Best quality? Who's to say? You do what you can with what you have. There's no rule saying you have to use poly resin to make masks or they're crap. Paper Mache was good enough for the Italian maskmakers for centuries.

Also. Just a tip. If you're seeking advice, you should put it in the thread title. Your current title is very vague, and frankly uninteresting. Doesn't prompt anyone to click on it. From the initial glance it just looks like you want to tell people about paper... Also, you misspelled polyurethane.

Thanks a lot for the tips :)
I've also made a very small batch of resin and I've tried it on different materials. I'll report my findings as soon as it hardens.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back