My Fallout Ranger Attempt

K262

Hello,

I am a new member to this thread, and am relatively new to costuming. Previously, i have created a COG chestpiece that I wore to a Halloween party, but that is about it. I have a little knowledge of fiberglassing and bondo-ing, as well as painting technique and other things. However I am still really new to this whole thing. So, I am attempting to complete the NCR Veteran Ranger Costume I became interested in after seeing Kommisar's work (sorry about the name drop if that is a bad thing...). I have sewn the duster (adding several additions to the pattern to make it more accurate), created the mask from acyrillic (I cut it out and bent it with a crembrule torch, then glued it), created the armor from foam and other things, and have painted and weatherd said objects. I will post pictures as soon as I can, but my main question is: "Do you have any pointers relative to the costume build, and/or anything that comes along with building costumes (e.g. working with styrene, getting schematics, wiring, weathering, etc.)". Sorry for the really long first post, but I thought I should get it all out there.

Thanks

(P.S. I also work with CAD, and have created accurate models of the laser rifle from Fallout 3 and the Halo Magnum.....)

I look forward to seeing your progress. I am a pretty big FO3 and FONV fan.

I've been wanting to do a vault costume for some time now. I even got a movie I helped prop use a pip boy in it. Wish I would have bought one for myself.

Here are a few pictures of my progress so far. As I have said before, please feel free to critique and offer suggestions on everything. I want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks, I got the pattern from amazon.com. I looked for "duster patterns" and I went with the one from "Buckaroo Bobbins". I had to make some alterations to the pattern (such as the high collar) and have changed the cape a little (making it velcro on and in three pieces for more accuracy).

Kommisar's work (sorry about the name drop if that is a bad thing...).

i don't mind :lol
i'm really excited how many people have been motivated to do this costume since i finished mine, i feel like i've started some kind of viral costuming meme or something!

keep up the great work man! it's looking really awesome!

the pictures are a little blurry, and i think the coat does not have pockets where you have yours, but i'm impressed with the armor!
have you gotten it rigged up with straps to wear ?

I didn't take a picture of them, but there are two "parachute" style straps w/ buckles on the back so I can wear it. As for the picture quality, I took them fairly hastily, so that is why they are blurry. I'll spend more time with them when I progress farther. And as for the pockets, I added them because I swear I have seen them in one of the concept art drawings, but I could be wrong.

As a seperate note, does the weathering look okay on the mask and do you have any pointers for the rest of it?

Here are the CAD drawings I mentioned in the first post...sorry if this a bit off topic, I wanted to share them.

that's some nifty CAD work!!

i need to get my hands on a deadspace 2 gabe weller helmet in CAD like that some time

i don't think i would feel especially comfortable asking you to spend hours working on a design like that, it's hardly a simple design, as well as the fact it can't be a quick process when building those.

i mean have a look at it,
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/02/lighting_buddy-image25.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5483726555_60e206a7d9_o.jpg
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_246136.jpg
http://fusion-gamer.com/wp-content/...1.03.Dead-Space-2-Severed-640x360-500x281.jpg

stupid intricate awesome helmets

Nice work! I know somebody who runs a fancy Haas machine if you ever want to turn those CAD files into a prop. And coincidentally, he and I used to run a LASER display company together. I suspect he'd be sorely tempted to stuff a 670nm 500mw red diode in there. For authenticity sake, you know. ;)

Nice work! I know somebody who runs a fancy Haas machine if you ever want to turn those CAD files into a prop. And coincidentally, he and I used to run a LASER display company together. I suspect he'd be sorely tempted to stuff a 670nm 500mw red diode in there. For authenticity sake, you know. ;)

Thanks,

I would love to discuss this more, just PM me when you have a chance with more details if you are serious. I would have to make a few tweaks and finish it up just a little, but then it would be good to go :)

(P.S. Should I make a seperate thread for this kind of stuff?)

i don't think i would feel especially comfortable asking you to spend hours working on a design like that, it's hardly a simple design, as well as the fact it can't be a quick process when building those.

i mean have a look at it,
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/02/lighting_buddy-image25.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5483726555_60e206a7d9_o.jpg
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_246136.jpg
http://fusion-gamer.com/wp-content/...1.03.Dead-Space-2-Severed-640x360-500x281.jpg

stupid intricate awesome helmets

While looking around for reference images, I stumbled upon pepakura files for the helmet. If I understand correctly, I think you can convert a pepakura file into a CAD object and manipulate it from there. If possible I will try to do this, mainly because it could save a hefty amount of time and effort. Still there are some adjustments that need to be made for it to be correct (such as the fact it is currently missing the circular eye lights on the front and several other small details).

While looking around for reference images, I stumbled upon pepakura files for the helmet. If I understand correctly, I think you can convert a pepakura file into a CAD object and manipulate it from there. If possible I will try to do this, mainly because it could save a hefty amount of time and effort. Still there are some adjustments that need to be made for it to be correct (such as the fact it is currently missing the circular eye lights on the front and several other small details).

actually i was going to make a pepakura of the CAD, so it sounds like youve found what im looking for. could you link me to that pepakura?? :D

Yeah, no problem:

Dead Space 1 and 2 File Thread
(Security Add-Ons)

Dead Space 1 and 2 File Thread
(Main Base)

The CAD files I made (laser rifle and magnum) were made by hand (hence some of the minor differences). Like I said the pepakura is missing some of the details, but it is easily fixable. Let me know how your progress is going when you start, and let me know how you deal with the alterations. Also, would you be willing to share some of your detailing know-how and other bits of advice via PM?

Glad to help :)

Just thought I would post an update to my progress. I found a better pepakura to use for the helmet and have glued it together and am preparing to fiberglass it and such. Incidentaly, I hot glued it together and it turned out better than expected, so I might use hot glue in the future for other pepakura files. Credit goes to "NeXXt" for the pepakura file, thanks. I also wanted to see what it would look like with the rest of the outfit, so that is one of the pictures.

Thanks,

I would love to discuss this more, just PM me when you have a chance with more details if you are serious. I would have to make a few tweaks and finish it up just a little, but then it would be good to go :)

(P.S. Should I make a seperate thread for this kind of stuff?)

Sure, PM on the way as soon as I've spoken with him. I'll have to talk to him about whether he can just use the CAD files, or has to convert them. I know he uses Solidworks mostly, but don't know much about the process.

thanks for the PDO files.

this costume is really coming together!
have you looked around for the fiberglass helmet liners ive mentioned in my build? the best thing about them is that they are made already with padding/strapping to be worn, so they hold in place really well.

that said, the pep for the helmet looks great, but you'll be doing a lot of sanding on those corners to smooth it all out

Yeah, I have looked for fiberglass helmet liners and have found a few that I liked. The only problem is that I am working on a somewhat shoestring budget, so they are a little out of my price range. However, I do have fiberglass mat and resin left over from my Gears of War chest piece build, so I will probably use that. I have plenty of time and enthusiasm anyways :)

Thanks for the advice

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back