My DIY Dr. Grordbort's Raygun Replica

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm a big fan of the Dr. Grordbort's Infallible Aether Oscillator rayguns designed by Greg Broadmore and released by Weta Workshops. They are a wonderful blend of mechanical obsurdity and sillynesss. My favorite was the F.M.O.M. Industries Wave Disrupter Gun. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain one of these fine weapons when they were available so I have resorted to the next best thing. Using my matter replication device (3D printer) to create one of my own!

The first step was to create the raygun as a 3 dimensional model using Rhino modeling software. Here are a couple of views of the work in progress:
Rendering 1.jpg

Next step was to break the model down into printable parts. a few of the parts, like the fin, will be laser cut and some of the finer details made in metal.
CAD 1.jpg

CAD 2.jpg

Not it's off the the laboratory to start printing!

Last edited:
A dry test fit of the 3D printed parts.

IMG_0091.jpg

Rather than 3D print the parts with the rivets already in place they'll be added to the piece using real rivets. Here some aluminum rivets are being glued into the ball that goes on the barrel.

IMG_0093.jpg

The parts were given a thorough sanding with 220 wet-n-dry sandpaper to knock down surface irregularities and high spots in the print lines. The PLA plastic used for 3D printing doesn't sand very well, it gets kind of gumby, so most of the smoothing work will be done with heavy coats of primer surfacer. Actually, the Dr. Grodbort's rayguns have a very heavily textured surface which I'll be creating with a special texturing primer, so I'm not too worried about getting the surface too smooth to start with. Here the parts have been given a couple good heavy coats of a lacquer based automotive primer.

IMG_0095.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to try Smooth-on's XTC-3D epoxy coating to smooth and fill the surface on some of the printed parts. Overall it works pretty well, though I'm not sure it's really any better than using several coats of a Hi-Solids spray primer. It does tend to fill in details a bit.

These pics were taken after the epoxy had fully hardened. The body shell on the right has been wet sanded.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Last edited:
Welllll... it's ONLY been five years! Time to bring this project out of mothballs, dust off the cobwebs and get it finished in time for this Spring's RPF So Cal Prop Party!

First step is to update come of the parts for printing/reprinting using the Form 2. I've also modeled the different wires and some other bits.

2020 Render 1.jpg

2020 Render 2.jpg

Assembly is done, time to paint! first a good overall coat of grey primer, followed by a matte black base coat. I used Valejo spray can moel paint for both of these which is lacquer as near as I can tell. The black will make the metallic paints look deeper and more metallic.

Then an over spray with Valejo acrylic metallic paints. I used Pale Burnt Metal, Silver and Jet Exhaust. Although it doesn't show very clearly in the photos the different metallic colors add a bit of interest.
IMG_7053.jpg
IMG_7057.jpg
IMG_7059.jpg
IMG_7124.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg

I recently had two RPF members do a project for me concerning another WETA Ray Gun that was never produced.
This was the Goliathon 800 Moon Hater which I was actually offer to purchase I think around 2008 but the economy was pretty bad so I pass on it.
But now I have one and just love it and this is what lead me to this site.
I also would like to get these 3D files to print a smaller version to display with my authentic all 4 Beatles Autographs.
I would also like to commission an artist to paint this similar to this Beatles photo.
I have 2 original of these WETA Ray Guns still in their shipping Boxes but they are so heavy I don't want to use them in my display case.
I would gladly pay for these files if they are made available.

Looks like this site hasn't been active since 2020 but I will still check in from time to time.

Attachments

• 261021291_3073315626323297_6315838953456778099_n.jpg
    261021291_3073315626323297_6315838953456778099_n.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Beatles 1 crop.JPG
    Beatles 1 crop.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 69
  • FILE218.JPG
    FILE218.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 74
  • FILE542.JPG
    FILE542.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back