My Custom Lightsabers on the cheap…

savmagoett

Hi there everyone…
I've been following TRPF for a while and though I'd share my own stuff to have your feed back :$
I've always wanted to build lightsabers of my own design and for that I've been collecting many bits & pieces, either junk, secondhand trade or yard sale stuff and stored them by shape or eventual use.
When a Star Wars Flashmob was being organized in my city for the release of the phantom menace in 3D I thought it was the time to make some for my friends to have something in their hands for the occasion.
Considering the short time I had, the goal was not to make illuminated blades, but rather PVC tubes with fluorescent paint. That being said I added an effect with photoshop for the photos of the painted sabers, because, let's face it, it's so cool! :cool Also they look battle damage because I didn't have the time take the photos before the flashmob :rolleyes

At first I wanted to create a good looking lightsaber easily assembled from a very few, easy to find & affordable parts. The goal was to put together a tutorial that the average handyman could follow. So I went to the local hardware store and selected two main parts that fitted well together: a plastic bulb socket and a water pipe bend. When added a couple junk parts it looks like an Obi-Wan Ep4 lightsaber for less than 10$. I named it "E-27 Flex":
View attachment 83859View attachment 83860View attachment 83861View attachment 83862View attachment 83863View attachment 83864
JediBlueSabertest2.jpg

After that I couldn't resist doing more, so from the same bend pipe I created a more "Sith" saber with parts from a champagne bottle stopper (that I've long planned to use for that) assembled by two knurled screw nut to a smaller (E14) metal bulb socket for the emitter, a brass lock for the switch and a internal part from a bicycle pedal-board for the end (I liked the fact that it's shape suggest an other blade could rise form there for a sneaky Sith thrust:angry). I named it "Monopol":
View attachment 83873View attachment 83874View attachment 83866View attachment 83867View attachment 83868View attachment 83869View attachment 83870View attachment 83871View attachment 83872
SithSaberTest01.jpg

Finally during my quest for parts I found some other interesting ones. A brass plumbing connector at the hardware store, witch, along with a salvaged art-deco furniture handle, made a very cool emitter. At a secondhand shop an old plastic electrical torch for the hilt and a little zinc pitcher placed between the two. I named it "Torzin":
View attachment 83877View attachment 83878View attachment 83879View attachment 83880View attachment 83881View attachment 83882View attachment 83883
OldJediSabertest3.jpg

Tell me what you think :)

Last edited:
I cant belive how few parts there are to this. It looks so complicated when its all together. great job, keep it up. the force is strong with you.

These are awesome! :thumbsup I always wanted to make my own style sabres for my kids myself. I've been collecting bits and pieces over time for just that reason. I havn't got enough to make them yet, and things to use for the emitters seem to be evading me at present, but I'll get there. I've never made sabres before, so a tutorial would be most welcome from you good sir. Very inspirational stuff.

What do you use to bond the pieces together by the way?

Hey, these are great! I too can't believe how little parts there are to these, the first one is my favorite. That flex pipe is a little hard to find in my area, but man I have to hand it to you. Keep up the creativity!

Ingenious! To the average onlooker I bet they looked no different from the crafted metal hilt ones. You even added some nice touches, like the covertec knob.

Many THX guys :cool
What do you use to bond the pieces together by the way?
To bond the pieces together I used portions of a salvaged tube (from an iron broom stick) that happend to fit nicely around the PVC tube. I could simply have use longer PVC tubes instead, but wanted to be able to pull of or replace the blades anytime…

i like these types of patchwork jobs better than many of the super-accurate screen replicas. of course I'm typically more interested in props for use at conventions and such as part of costuming than I am in having a collection of screen-perfect replicas.

good job, the cheap projects are the really fun ones!

Holy crap. These actually look very nice. A lot of people make really ugly hardware sabers, sticking random bits and pieces together, but you seem to have found a lot of parts that look like they really -belong- together on a saber. Very nice. Welcome to the forum.

Great work with the found parts you had! Some of the best looking hardware sabers I've seen, especially your Sith one. Reminds me of some of the saber designs for the Knights of the Old Republic era! :cool

Thanks everyone :)
Holy crap. These actually look very nice. A lot of people make really ugly hardware sabers, sticking random bits and pieces together, but you seem to have found a lot of parts that look like they really -belong- together on a saber. Very nice. Welcome to the forum.

That's exactly what I love to do, to choose the pieces so wisely that it looks like they belong together.
This idea of creating something out of found objects is as old as humanity, but with my reading making of books of Star Wars I discovered there was a way to do wonders with that concept, like for instance the original trilogy lightsabers, I'm simply following the same principle. But I've been doing this since a long time so I guess I developed an eye for this:p

That's exactly what I love to do, to choose the pieces so wisely that it looks like they belong together.

Yeah, that's what everybody says, but you've actually managed to do it. Being a master of craptatsic hardware sabers myself :lol, I am mightily impressed. Even where I know exactly what parts you used, it does not detract from the overall design.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back