My Custom Lightsabers on the cheap…

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by savmagoett, Feb 12, 2012.

1. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

Hi there everyone…
    I've been following TRPF for a while and though I'd share my own stuff to have your feed back :$
    I've always wanted to build lightsabers of my own design and for that I've been collecting many bits & pieces, either junk, secondhand trade or yard sale stuff and stored them by shape or eventual use.
    When a Star Wars Flashmob was being organized in my city for the release of the phantom menace in 3D I thought it was the time to make some for my friends to have something in their hands for the occasion.
    Considering the short time I had, the goal was not to make illuminated blades, but rather PVC tubes with fluorescent paint. That being said I added an effect with photoshop for the photos of the painted sabers, because, let's face it, it's so cool! :cool Also they look battle damage because I didn't have the time take the photos before the flashmob :rolleyes

At first I wanted to create a good looking lightsaber easily assembled from a very few, easy to find & affordable parts. The goal was to put together a tutorial that the average handyman could follow. So I went to the local hardware store and selected two main parts that fitted well together: a plastic bulb socket and a water pipe bend. When added a couple junk parts it looks like an Obi-Wan Ep4 lightsaber for less than 10$. I named it "E-27 Flex":
    View attachment 83859 View attachment 83860 View attachment 83861 View attachment 83862 View attachment 83863 View attachment 83864
    [​IMG]

After that I couldn't resist doing more, so from the same bend pipe I created a more "Sith" saber with parts from a champagne bottle stopper (that I've long planned to use for that) assembled by two knurled screw nut to a smaller (E14) metal bulb socket for the emitter, a brass lock for the switch and a internal part from a bicycle pedal-board for the end (I liked the fact that it's shape suggest an other blade could rise form there for a sneaky Sith thrust:angry). I named it "Monopol":
    View attachment 83873 View attachment 83874 View attachment 83866 View attachment 83867 View attachment 83868 View attachment 83869 View attachment 83870 View attachment 83871 View attachment 83872
    [​IMG]

Finally during my quest for parts I found some other interesting ones. A brass plumbing connector at the hardware store, witch, along with a salvaged art-deco furniture handle, made a very cool emitter. At a secondhand shop an old plastic electrical torch for the hilt and a little zinc pitcher placed between the two. I named it "Torzin":
    View attachment 83877 View attachment 83878 View attachment 83879 View attachment 83880 View attachment 83881 View attachment 83882 View attachment 83883
    [​IMG]
    Tell me what you think :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    SofaKing01 likes this.
  2. strengthof10men

strengthof10men Active Member

I cant belive how few parts there are to this. It looks so complicated when its all together. great job, keep it up. the force is strong with you.

3. ComedicHistory

ComedicHistory Active Member

These are great! I agree with Strength, it's crazy how few parts went into these. Definitely keep going, they'll only get better!

4. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

these are very nice. makes me want to run out to the hardware store and attempt one of my own

5. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

THX guys :)
    That's the spirit Lost21, some day I may do some more E27-flex and make a thorough tutorial of it…

6. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are awesome! :thumbsup I always wanted to make my own style sabres for my kids myself. I've been collecting bits and pieces over time for just that reason. I havn't got enough to make them yet, and things to use for the emitters seem to be evading me at present, but I'll get there. I've never made sabres before, so a tutorial would be most welcome from you good sir. Very inspirational stuff.

What do you use to bond the pieces together by the way?

7. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Nice work. They came out looking really good.

8. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, these are great! I too can't believe how little parts there are to these, the first one is my favorite. That flex pipe is a little hard to find in my area, but man I have to hand it to you. Keep up the creativity!

9. Jerome

Jerome Active Member

Ingenious! To the average onlooker I bet they looked no different from the crafted metal hilt ones. You even added some nice touches, like the covertec knob.

10. Saber Concepts

Saber Concepts Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job on some quick lightsabers with few parts. Keep up the good work.

11. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

Many THX guys :cool
    To bond the pieces together I used portions of a salvaged tube (from an iron broom stick) that happend to fit nicely around the PVC tube. I could simply have use longer PVC tubes instead, but wanted to be able to pull of or replace the blades anytime…

12. drmoreau

drmoreau Active Member

i like these types of patchwork jobs better than many of the super-accurate screen replicas. of course I'm typically more interested in props for use at conventions and such as part of costuming than I am in having a collection of screen-perfect replicas.

good job, the cheap projects are the really fun ones!

13. Etewaf

Etewaf Active Member

Holy crap. These actually look very nice. A lot of people make really ugly hardware sabers, sticking random bits and pieces together, but you seem to have found a lot of parts that look like they really -belong- together on a saber. Very nice. Welcome to the forum.

14. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Great work with the found parts you had! Some of the best looking hardware sabers I've seen, especially your Sith one. Reminds me of some of the saber designs for the Knights of the Old Republic era! :cool

15. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

Thanks everyone :)
    That's exactly what I love to do, to choose the pieces so wisely that it looks like they belong together.
    This idea of creating something out of found objects is as old as humanity, but with my reading making of books of Star Wars I discovered there was a way to do wonders with that concept, like for instance the original trilogy lightsabers, I'm simply following the same principle. But I've been doing this since a long time so I guess I developed an eye for this:p

16. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Yeah, that's what everybody says, but you've actually managed to do it. Being a master of craptatsic hardware sabers myself :lol, I am mightily impressed. Even where I know exactly what parts you used, it does not detract from the overall design.

savmagoett likes this.
  17. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  18. YoshiieBear

YoshiieBear New Member

These are great, absolutely love your work!
    I'd love to see a tutorial of how you made these and work on one of my own. Subbed in hope for much more!

savmagoett likes this.
  19. andyroo

andyroo Well-Known Member

Looks like a trip to B&Q tomorrow for me. I find this forum truly inspiring!

savmagoett likes this.
  20. EdwinDaFreak

EdwinDaFreak New Member

Hi there...
    Really inspiring work. Original and budget builds. I'll keep this thread going with a "bump".

~Edwin~

savmagoett likes this.
  21. Canobi

Great to see this thread again :D

I finally got round to making my kids sabres, but I stuck to plasic/pvc based materials for many reasons, but none of them cost more than £18 to make.
    [​IMG]

They use a torch style 12v 700mw lighting setup, with full contact polycarb blades which are removable so the hilts can be attached to belts.
    [​IMG]

Here's the first one to test glues and materials
    [​IMG]

A batch for my kids last Christmas (no photoshopping, this is what they reslly look like to a camera :))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally one for myself (now experimenting with the MRfx boards which are a great fit, the one in this sabre is a Vader, though I need to change the LED from green to red now I have the right ones in)
    [​IMG]

Still need to develope my eye for design a bit, but I'm having a great time making them. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Amazing DJ and savmagoett like this.
  22. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

Thanks folks :)
    Now that I have a Sith Costume I plan to make a version of the Monopol (the black one, second in the tread) that features a removable illuminated blade (and maybe sound). When I do I'll post the progress.

Good job Canobi :cool what do you mean by "full contact" polycarb blades?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  23. Canobi

Sorry, the term "full contact" is related to unprotected, no holds barred matial art bouts/competitions. The blades are high impact resistant polycarbinate and can withstand me and my mates havin a full on duel.

The only problems I've encountered with the sabres so far when grown ups use them is: a battery on one of them has a tendancy to pop out (a quick mod to sort that one), and the blade works its way out as your duelling on another (grown ups are banned from using that one :lol), the kids dont get these issues when using them, so it's all good :thumbsup

savmagoett likes this.
  24. thehashimoto

thehashimoto New Member

How much for one?

25. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

Hello thehashimoto :)
    You mean: "How much did it cost me to build one?" or "how much I would ask if I sell you one of those tree?" or even "how much I would charge for building another one for you?"

26. IceTea1983

IceTea1983 Member

If it's not too much to ask; all of the above? (just to have the bases covered, to use a sports metaphor)

27. JaySee1983

JaySee1983 Member

Very creative! Do your blades actually light up? If so how did you achieve that?

savmagoett likes this.
  28. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Love the white one!

savmagoett likes this.
  29. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

THX JaySee1983 & SofaKing01 :D

JaySee I assume you did'nt read the post commentary completely, but that's ok :) here's the line you're looking for:
    "Considering the short time I had, the goal was not to make illuminated blades, but rather PVC tubes with fluorescent paint. That being said I added an effect with photoshop for the photos of the painted sabers, because, let's face it, it's so cool"

(IceTea1983 I will answer you question, I just need time to think about it…)

30. Aiden26

Aiden26 Member

Do u hav any instructions or templates? Also can you help an amateur with the Lighting Electronics? I know what to do for the blade but I'm not sure about the light source, battery and button.

31. Canobi

You may want to read post #29 again, savmagoett photoshopped the blades for the pics. PM inbound as I can help you, don't want to hijack this awesome thread ;)

savmagoett likes this.
  32. JaySee1983

JaySee1983 Member

Do you have a parts list for your Obi-Wan style saber?

33. Ejayisson

Ejayisson New Member

What do they look like without the photoshop added?

I may have to go to the hardware store and look around for parts to make one for my nephew now!

34. savmagoett

savmagoett Member

like crap! Seriously, it was just blue, green and red tubes. That fluorescent paint really looked like regular paint… ;)