My Chappie cosplay

Radical Gordon

Here is my Chappie cosplay.

It is all hand made using basic hand tools (scalpel, files, glue gun) and constructed mostly of foamboard/foamcore.

I made the parts as faithful to the original props as I could, some parts were omitted to allow my human body.
I do think the chest piece could have been a bit smaller, it was made to scale with the back forgetting Chappie is much taller than me making it look out of proportion.
Overall I am happy with the result especially the paintwork.

I will be posting WIP pics of all of the parts I built and more pictures of it being worn. To start things off here is the head and back.

The Head -

head 11.JPGhead 10.JPGhead 5.JPG

Basecoat applied -

head.JPGhead 6.JPGhead 7.JPGhead 9.JPGhead 2.JPG

head 4.JPGhead 1.JPGhead 3.JPGIMG_4303.JPG

For the eyes I made a sandwich of different acrylics. The back is opaque the middle is the eye template and the last one is blue.
head 8.JPG

The Back -

back 0.JPGback 8.JPGback 9.JPGback 2.JPGback 3.JPGback 1.JPG

Me wearing the finished suit -

IMG_0368.JPGIMG_0354.JPG

Thank you for looking.

head 5.JPG

head 10.JPG

head 11.JPG

head 6.JPG

head 7.JPG

head.JPG

head 2.JPG

head 9.JPG

head 1.JPG

head 3.JPG

head 4.JPG

head 8.JPG

back 0.JPG

back 8.JPG

back 9.JPG

back 2.JPG

back 3.JPG

back 1.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My Chappie cosplay (pic heavy)

End result looked great. Was there on Sunday as well in Edinburgh (inside the iron man) and wish I'd had more of a chance to have a chat with you about the construction. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the WIP.

What kind/brand of paints did you use on it? It's a really good looking finish you've got on it.

Re: My Chappie cosplay (pic heavy)

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate it. I will update the thread with more pics soon.

What kind/brand of paints did you use on it? It's a really good looking finish you've got on it.

It was all painted by hand. The metallic blue is a mix of silver, translucent blue, grey and bright blue Tamiya and Revell paints. It was very tricky as in the movie it looks different depending how the light hits it, I like to think I got it pretty close :)

I planned to update this much earlier, better late than never I guess.

Here are some progress pics of the chest and arms. Like the back, the chest was made from EVA foam and foam core.

c1.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpgc5.jpgc8.jpg(horrible lighting but shows the battery indicator light)

The molten metal damage was made by making rings of glue gun glue and pulling it out when it started to cool. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
cu1.jpgcu2.jpg b1.jpgb2.jpg l1.jpgl2.jpg

The forearms are made from postage tubes layered with foamcore. the rest of the arm pieces are eva foam.
IMG_4217 (640x480).jpgIMG_4218 (640x480).jpgIMG_4216 (640x480).jpgbi1.jpgbi2.jpgIMG_4223 (640x480).jpgIMG_4224 (640x480).jpg

I painted the graffiti freehand using reference pictures from the movie. The stencil on the chest was created using pictures I obtained from the original stencil used in the movie.
Thanks again for looking, I'll be sure to update this with more very soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back