My Birthday Present From The Wife.

BobasBounty

Sr Member
Just wanted to showoff the birthday present my wife gave me a few weeks ago. It's a HDPE Stormtrooper helmet kit from Dan Laws. Funny thing is she really doesn't like Star Wars (which I didn't find out until after we got married). Anyway I got it all trimmed up and fitted together to make sure it looks exactly like I want it to look. Planning to make it a Sandtrooper just need to paint it up and get some decals from TrooperBay. What do you all think? I was actually pretty shocked when she presented it to me. :)

Attachments

• DLHDPE-1.jpg
    DLHDPE-1.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DLHDPE-2.jpg
    DLHDPE-2.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DLHDPE3.jpg
    DLHDPE3.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DLHDPE4.jpg
    DLHDPE4.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DLHDPE5.jpg
    DLHDPE5.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 124
Decals? The sandtrooper helmets was hand painted... ;)

BTW i've to pick up my RS-Props lid at R2Dan

Nice bucket, nice wife! ;)

Last edited:
What do I think about the present your wife got you?

It is that terrible yellow for a reason.

I think your wife is having an affair with someone who is not you.

Seriously....you didn't know your wife didn't like SW until after you were married???.....what else don't you know about your wife?;)

Sorry..that's all I've got for now:lol

Thanks guys. She is a good woman.

I was thinking about hand painting the polygons since I am already painting the frown and ears. I may go that direction. I know if I do paint them on I won't have to worry about the stripes since it is a Sandtrooper.

The helmet is actually a light khaki color not yellow (bad lighting). I haven't painted it white yet. I am trying to find the right primer and paint combination so it sticks to the slick plastic surface. The originals were made of HDPE plastic as this one is but the color of the original helmets was a little darker khaki.

The wife and I are in that stage of the marriage where we are trying to get involved with each others interests. I guess I gotta go learn salsa dancing. :p

That's awesome! I agree, stick with the hand painting. If you're going to go HDPE, keep it all original and bust out the brushes.

Decals? The sandtrooper helmets was hand painted... ;)

BTW i've to pick up my RS-Props lid at R2Dan

Nice bucket, nice wife! ;)

That kit's certainly gathered some dust by now ;)

The Dan Laws lid looks nice proportionally, but it's too idealised for my taste. I do agree with Toxx though, hand painting is the way to go! :)

That kit's certainly gathered some dust by now ;)

The Dan Laws lid looks nice proportionally, but it's too idealised for my taste. I do agree with Toxx though, hand painting is the way to go! :)

It is idealized but it gives me a chance to muck it up myself. ;) I will hand paint the details but first I got to spray it white. I am testing out the right combo of primer and paint so it doesn't all just flake off afterward.

On my RS Props SA lid I found that sanding isn't much of an option (I did it anyway, just a quick once over with fine grit paper to key it a little) . I also gave it a light coat of plastic primer - not accurate, but it helps with the adhesion. The paint WILL still chip, but my first try was just red primer, followed by white, and I could just push it off with my thumb. No adhesion whatsoever.

You can see my lid here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=210233&page=2&p=3573029&viewfull=1#post3573029

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back