My Batman Begins/Bale bust ***FINAL SCULPT PICS***

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by billy1974, Jan 9, 2006.

1. billy1974

billy1974 Well-Known Member

The cowl is commonly sold on ebay. The bust was made by me, the jaw is not painted yet, just flesh color sculpy. Unfortunately the cowl was cut a little too "square" in the jaw area, so I had to make him a little more square-jawed then I would have liked to. I think it's a pretty good likeness to Bale though, I am pleased with how it came out. I just threw in a pair of eyes I had, they are blue, I am getting some hazel ones to put in. Let me know what you guys think, should I give it another shot, or is this one a "keeper". If anyone has any Batman Begins cowls/bust, feel free to hijack the thread, I would love to see some pics :D Bill

********NEW PICS PAGE 3***********

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

Nice cowl. I think the mouth looks a little too like George Clooney, though.

3. MaddChinaMan

MaddChinaMan Well-Known Member

Wow :thumbsup Nice Job. I would say thats a "keeper". Maybe It's just the camera but the right side of the lip seems to be slightly lower. Exept for that I think that pretty good.

4. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

That's what I was thinking...

Pics to grainy to pass judgement on the paint job...

5. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I thought it was Clooney too

6. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Looks like Clooney to me too, but I like the display.
    -Brin

7. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

well i think it looks like christian bale and its sweet

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work. I love the expression on his face too. :)

9. synasp

synasp Sr Member

There's nothing like working with your own hands. Good job.

I agree the jaw area might be a bit too squared. Since Clooney was mentioned, now I keep thinking it's Clooney. :p

Can you take more pictures with brighter light?

10. billy1974

Thanks soooo much for the feedback guys, I made some improvements. Softened the chin/jaw a little, filled in the dimples, and thinned out the bottom lip. I think it looks much less Clooney-esque, and alot more Bale-esque now :lol . Let me know what you think....again :D Bill

**********NEW PICS BELOW********

11. billy1974

Added new pics guys, let me know what you think :) Bill

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Definately too Clooney and the head is way too thin.

13. billy1974

Did you see the new pics Scarecrow? Do you still think he looks to "Clooney"? I agree, the cowl is a little too "skinny", especially in the neck area. I tried stuffing it with plastic bags, but it distorts the jaw opening. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great looking cowl, just not 100% accurate. Anyone else have any input? Bill

14. billy1974

Getting close now :D Keep in mind it is not yet painted, just flesh colored sculpy. Please give me some feedback guys :cry Looking like Bale? Yes/No? I plan to do a little more work and them paint him up, so be brutally honest, I can take it :( Bill

*****NEW PICS BELOW*****

15. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lookin pretty good so far man. I did a Google image search on Bale and spotted some good non-bats refs that might help you out.

I think a few things might be holding this one back.

1, the split below the nose looks a little too wide. The points on the upper lip should probably be a tiny bit closer as well.

2, both lips look like they could be a tiny bit fuller, but only in the center. Bale's lips seem to thin out towards the edges. You've got the thin part down, now just tweak the center.

3, the chin looks a little too wide at the base.

4, the chin doesn't seem to protrude enough in the front (though it's tough to tell because of lighting).

Also... take him outside or next to a window for the next pic... you're lighting is killin us. :lol

Good job so far man.

T

16. billy1974

Thanks for the input Tom. I think you are right on all accounts, I will be making the changes you mentioned today :thumbsup . More pics to come. Bill

17. billy1974

New pics. Still not painted yet. What do you guys think? Bill

18. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Now you're cooking. :thumbsup

19. fettster

fettster Sr Member

look really good to me.

well done

20. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

That looks sweet.

21. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That just about looks dead-on.

Nice work.

22. billy1974

All done, give me some honest opinions :angry . Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. the iron 1

the iron 1 New Member

Here you go....

WOW :thumbsup

24. streetjudge79

the cowl turned out great, but it just does not look like Bale at all.

25. brin

brin Well-Known Member

I actually don't like that cowl too much.
    As far as the face goes, I think you just need to study your Bale references a lot more. :)
    I think it'll look good as an overall display piece though.
    -Brin

26. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

I love the cowl... But yeah the face is a bit off.

27. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

It looks ok and does "kind of" look like Bale. Cowl looks a bit cheap to me.

Here you go:

[​IMG]

28. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Just looking at the refernce pics, Bale seems to be very non-descript. He doesn't seem to have any distinguishing features that make him stand out. Some people have a very distinct look. Their face has character. Bale is very "average joe white guy". He'd be police sketch artist's worst nightmare.

As far as likenesses go, the sculpture is close. I would leave it as batman, but not link it to any particular actor.

-Fred

29. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like Bale to me, nice job.

30. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

The Cowl I woulnd't worry to much about every cowl looks cheap next to Doodys and The movies. The face needs more work though. Lokks great and a non movie specific display though. :)

31. Minder Thr33

Minder Thr33 Sr Member

That's a pretty good summary. I was looking at the sculpt Bill did and it looks good, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, even after the comparison shot. It was off a bit, but I couldn't label any mistakes.

32. billy1974

Thanks for the input guys. I agree, the cowl is not perfect, it is one commonly found on ebay, but I tried to contact Doody for one, to no avail :( . You are right Gigatron, and Thatguy, Bales likeness is very hard to capture because he has no features that distinguish him, especially considering that you are looking at a small portion of the face. I did not want to make him look like any one particular picture. In the photo posted, he looks like he could be reading the Sunday paper, he has no expression at all. I wanted to make him look kinda * off, so I made him sneering a little, maybe that threw off the likeness a little. I am going to do another face and make it look as much like Bale as I can, this way I will have 2 busts to display in the cowl and I could swap them now and then to give the display a little variety. Or if I get a "doody" cowl(you getting this Bob :p ), I can put one in there. I will post more pics once I have a "definitive" Bale bust. Thanks again for the input guys :thumbsup . Bill

33. RKW

RKW Sr Member

The more I stare at it I'm wondering if the problem is actually the eyes in that they are too big for the head. The size of the pupils and iris just seem out of scale to me. Bale does have more slanty eyes but even if you just closed the eye lids more their still wouldn't be enough white showing with the eyes your using.

34. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree with everyone's Bale "Joe Anyone" assessments. In my humble AMATEUR opinion, the top lip is too thin & the bottom lip is too thick. Your previous mod in post #17 was VERY close. Very.

35. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Even if it looks like Bale or not , you still did a nice job on it. :thumbsup

36. Magic Man

Magic Man Well-Known Member

Give it another shot. You'll get it.

FYI, Bob doesn't sell his cowls. :(

Brad

37. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I admire your efforts here. Trying to make a face look right in a cowl that doesnt is not an easy thing to do.
    I think that the cowl is much to thin or small. That alone is going to throw off the head or face within it.
    The way I see it is this...this last face you made works with the cowl. They seem to belong together, even if it's not quite Bale...it works with the cowl.:)

The only suggestion I'd make is make the upper lip a little more fuller, and the bottom lip a little less. If you look at the screen cap posted you'll see that the top and bottom lips are nearly the same thickness.

Still, continue to work on it. I however think that this new one you posted works with this cowl well.

David

38. billy1974

Thanks David :thumbsup . Thanks to everyone who gave me their input. Here is my new sculpt. It still needs a little tweaking, but I think I finally got it. I know it looks a little weird without a "face" but use your imagination :p .Please give me some input...again. Let me know if I got it, or if it needs more work. Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Looks like Batman to me.

40. JKolton

JKolton Well-Known Member

The latest sculpt looks infinately more like Bale to me. The only crit I have would be that the dimple above his lip should be a bit wider and squatter, but that could just be the lack of a nose above it tricking my eye. :)

41. streetjudge79

Now that's more like it.. the lip made all the difference.

42. billy1974

Thanks streetjudge79, and everyone else who gave input. Here is my new sculpt, a new jaw and I shaped the head so that it would give the correct shape to the cowl. The cowl is thin, so if it doesn't have the correct support underneath, it will look all wrong. If Bale stuck his head in this cowl, even he would not look like Batman :D . So I shaped the head so it would give the correct contour to the cowl. I think the jaw/lips relly resemble Bale enough now that I am pleased with it. It will look alot better when I paint the face/eyes, and insert glass eyes. I will post more pics when it is complete, but for now, let me know what you think guys :lol . Bill

***************NEW PICS BELOW*****************

43. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

44. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree about the mouth/cheek bit, everything else looks great. :)

45. streetjudge79

Much much better.

46. billy1974

Thanks again for the help David. Here is the final sculpt, aside from eyes and painting obviously. I am totally satisfied with it...and tired of looking at it :cry . Seriously though, it has been a fun project. I will display it with pride :D . Thanks again everyone for the input, it really helped. Now, let me know what you think....even though I don't care because I like it :lol . Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. ijbrekke

ijbrekke New Member

Looks great to me

48. billy1974

Thanks ijbrekke :D .Bill

49. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member