My Aluminum P2 Brad Nelson knock off

TOS Phaser

As promised in my first post - here are the photos of my aluminum P2 that I ordered from an advertisement in Star Log Magazine. The P2 body reminded me of the handle of my Gerber Survival Knife.

Al P2 - sideview.png

I ordered two "working" P2s - with lights and sounds. They sent me a letter several weeks later stating they were closing their doors but would send me what they had. I received two P2/P1 shells - no electronics (except for the power meters in both P1s). One of the P1s was complete (shown in these photos) and the other one was not. I added the black plastic electrical tape to make a kind of nozzle for the P1 so that it would stay in the P2 body after I broke it out. And these P1s had complete bottoms. Note how the port side grip is flat. The starboard side is like the Nelson grip.

Al P2 front-1Qtr starboard side view.png

I cut out the P2 clip from aluminum muffler tape and put a piece of square electrical tape above the emitter for the sight window. I painted the rear fins with silver Testers paint and it apparently reacted with the aluminum coating and turned it a sliver-blue. I used a piece of carpet tape to install a knob from Radio Shack over the hole on the rear deck of the P2 behind the P1.

Al P2 front-1Qrt top view.png

Over the years the muffler tape lost its stick and unauthorized people kept doing what the Squire of Gothos did - they turned the "10-turn" knob!

Al P2 side view 2.png

If the company had been able to install the electronics and complete the build - it would have been a very cool P2. I still remember DeForest Kelly pulling out his Brad Nelson P2 on "The Today Show" before Star Trek The Motion Picture was released in theaters.

Al P2 with P1 removed.png

As you can see these were rushed - the power meters on both of the P1s were out of alignment and the setting (sight elevation) wheel was just a piece that was glued on.

Unfortunately when I took these photos (before I sold them both) I did not know the Nelson P1 did not have a complete bottom. So I did not photograph the bottom of the P1.

Though I was disappointed they did not function - I was pleased with the one I spruced up. I displayed it for years while I was in college and everyone who saw it was impressed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back