My Adventures in 3D Printing

Yeah, same. I've made spaghetti while sleeping too. One time it made spaghetti for a bit and then somehow began printing the rest of the model on top of the spaghetti. Poorly mind you, but still. :)

Troubleshooting on the Phrozen Mega 8K continues… Working with Phrozen support, they reached the same conclusion I did a few weeks ago in that I likely need a new LCD. Luckily, Phrozen had a holiday sale, and the LCD was 25% off (which is a nice discount on a $400 part!). Currently waiting for that to arrive…

In the meantime, I’m still helping a friend of mine print out parts for his Boba Fett rifle. With the Mega out of commission, I moved over to the AnyCubic Photon Mono X to print some of the smaller pieces.

2334F48E-BB6B-4F8E-9250-E4C36F36FA10.jpeg

On the FDM side, I was printing some articulated dragons for the kids on the AnyCubic Kobra Max when one of the belts snapped. Somehow, the print managed to finish with only a slight layer shift. As the printer is still under warranty, AnyCubic is sending replacement parts for that…

89DB2750-EFBF-4DDA-952D-C8DF7556E628.jpeg

In other exciting news, Lychee, the makers of the slicer I use for resin printing, released a Beta version of an FDM slicer. I gave it a shot on both of my FDM printers. Sadly, the slicer didn’t work on my Vyper - once everything warms up, the printer says the print has completed with a 0 hour 0 minutes elapsed time… And I wasn’t able to run the test on the Kobra Max to completion due to the broken belt, but the print actually started, so that’s a good sign.

While the slicer is still very much Beta, I’m hopeful it turns out as great as their resin slicer!

Sean

I've been fighting with my printer over the last few weeks. Its been giving me terrible z-wobble and nothing I've done has helped
image0 (11).jpeg

That is the lawmaker from Props3d's project here on the RPF btw-- amazing project, it will be my first time working w/ arduino and electronic accessories.

I've had enough of the problems so I've gone nuclear with my printer:
image1 (7).jpeg

Every roller wheel is getting replaced, nearly every screw has been pulled, and all gantrys will be reassemled and re-squared, and extruder gears are being replaced.
Hopefully this gets it on the right track. Its been printing great for nearly 2 years with minimal fixes, so it's about time for a full maintenance anyway.

Troubleshooting on the Phrozen Mega 8K continues… Working with Phrozen support, they reached the same conclusion I did a few weeks ago in that I likely need a new LCD. Luckily, Phrozen had a holiday sale, and the LCD was 25% off (which is a nice discount on a $400 part!). Currently waiting for that to arrive…

In the meantime, I’m still helping a friend of mine print out parts for his Boba Fett rifle. With the Mega out of commission, I moved over to the AnyCubic Photon Mono X to print some of the smaller pieces.

View attachment 1643125

On the FDM side, I was printing some articulated dragons for the kids on the AnyCubic Kobra Max when one of the belts snapped. Somehow, the print managed to finish with only a slight layer shift. As the printer is still under warranty, AnyCubic is sending replacement parts for that…

View attachment 1643124

In other exciting news, Lychee, the makers of the slicer I use for resin printing, released a Beta version of an FDM slicer. I gave it a shot on both of my FDM printers. Sadly, the slicer didn’t work on my Vyper - once everything warms up, the printer says the print has completed with a 0 hour 0 minutes elapsed time… And I wasn’t able to run the test on the Kobra Max to completion due to the broken belt, but the print actually started, so that’s a good sign.

While the slicer is still very much Beta, I’m hopeful it turns out as great as their resin slicer!

Sean

I was thinking about getting a Kobra Max. Despite your problems, would you recommend it?

TazMan2000

I was thinking about getting a Kobra Max. Despite your problems, would you recommend it?

TazMan2000
Absolutely! Out of the 4 printers I own [AnyCubic Photon Mono X (resin), AnyCubic Vyper (FDM), AnyCubic Kobra Max (FDM), and Phrozen Sonic Mega 8K (resin)] it's the only one that's printed out of the box!

It was easy to set up and has yielded great prints! The print volume is huge so you can print a lot of stuff on it. The belts are just one of those things that need to be replaced from time to time, so no real complaints that it broke.

Sean

Absolutely! Out of the 4 printers I own [AnyCubic Photon Mono X (resin), AnyCubic Vyper (FDM), AnyCubic Kobra Max (FDM), and Phrozen Sonic Mega 8K (resin)] it's the only one that's printed out of the box!

It was easy to set up and has yielded great prints! The print volume is huge so you can print a lot of stuff on it. The belts are just one of those things that need to be replaced from time to time, so no real complaints that it broke.

Sean

Thanks Sean. What speed do you have the Kobra Max tweaked to?

TazMan2000

Thanks Sean. What speed do you have the Kobra Max tweaked to?

TazMan2000
I used the CR-6 SE profile and just adjusted the bed dimensions to match the Kobra Max, and haven't really done much else. I got the printer and immediately had a bunch of jobs I had to do, so I haven't really done any calibrations.

Checking the Cure profile I've been using speeds are set as follows; again, these are likely just the default CR-6 SE speeds:

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 7.28.49 AM.png

I'm guessing I could crank some of them up a bit, but as the prints have been looking pretty good (less the busted belt), I haven't really seen a need.

Sean

I used the CR-6 SE profile and just adjusted the bed dimensions to match the Kobra Max, and haven't really done much else. I got the printer and immediately had a bunch of jobs I had to do, so I haven't really done any calibrations.

Checking the Cure profile I've been using speeds are set as follows; again, these are likely just the default CR-6 SE speeds:

View attachment 1643887

I'm guessing I could crank some of them up a bit, but as the prints have been looking pretty good (less the busted belt), I haven't really seen a need.

Sean

Thanks. According to AnyCubic that model is supposed to work at a faster speed, but doesn't have a Cura profile of its own, yet (I checked a couple of months ago).

TazMan2000

Haven’t updated this thread in awhile!

The replacement LCD for the Mega 8K finally arrived, so I need to get that installed!

I also received the parts from AnyCubic to repair the Kobra Max…just need to find a few hours to do all these repairs!

Sean

So my wife got me an Anycubic Mono X for Christmas and boy howdy does that thing make a ton of noise and stink to high heaven like it's burning when I print with it. I had to buy an enclosure for it. What a stark contrast to the Mono, which is quiet as a whisper and outside of the resin doesn't smell bad at all.

That’s interesting. I wouldn’t characterize my Mono X has being any noisier than my other printers…

I have found the fumes can vary greatly depending on the resin being used. I found a small air purifier helps a lot.

Sean

I wish I had the waste “supports” you discard…because I think they are often more interesting than what is being printed…like something the Cygnus designers would use.

Sometimes artifacts might be good
The super Star Destroyer cortex needs a layered look.

New

You can use sound to print within matter

The largest print

Now this is even better…I see this as a step towards membrane screens to go on nacelle domes depicting the rotating patterns without rotors or heavy bulbs.

Took some time to get both the Phrozen Mega 8K’s screen and the AnyCubic Kobra Max’s broken belt replaced.

Both replacements were relatively straightforward, although, on the Kobra Max, you have to remove the print bed to replace the belt... That was a bit tedious, but not difficult. I also took the opportunity to put a flex sheet on the Kobra as I’ve broken a handful of the stock glass plates they come with…

Just need to run a test print on the Mega, and we’ll be back in business!

Sean

36B24847-FA73-4FF8-A458-6AD6DBC64A22.jpeg

Has anyone printed a Naboo blaster? There are a couple of files on Thingiverse but they don’t look ideal.

Thanks
I havent personally printed one, but I have started moving away from thingiverse and other free sites and have never been happier with my prints. The files I get just paying a few bucks to designers on etsy or other sites saves so much hassle because the files are actually accurate and well designed/thought out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back