Mulan (Pre-release)

One thing I wonder about seeing the latest poster of the movie; why does Mulan only have armor around her waist and legs? I can understand not being able to afford a full set of armor, but really, who only armors their waist and legs? If I can only armor one part of my body it's going to be my upper torso where all of my vital organs are.

One thing I wonder about seeing the latest poster of the movie; why does Mulan only have armor around her waist and legs? I can understand not being able to afford a full set of armor, but really, who only armors their waist and legs? If I can only armor one part of my body it's going to be my upper torso where all of my vital organs are.

I’m not super familiar with the story, but isn’t she posing as a man?

A woman being fitted with chest armor would be a pretty quick way for that ruse to come to an end.

A woman being fitted with chest armor would be a pretty quick way for that ruse to come to an end.

Yes, she is trying to pass herself off as a man. But with that style of armor, lamellar, there's no need for detailed fitting like Medieval plate armor. Being lamellar it's going to go on more like a shirt or jacket, it will require a certain amount of fitting to reduce excess material and therefor weight, but at the level she's at it's going to be "off the shelf" in pre-made sizes and not made to fit. So, no worries about being discovered because no one is going to be taking detailed measurements of her.

Yes, she is trying to pass herself off as a man. But with that style of armor, lamellar, there's no need for detailed fitting like Medieval plate armor. Being lamellar it's going to go on more like a shirt or jacket, it will require a certain amount of fitting to reduce excess material and therefor weight, but at the level she's at it's going to be "off the shelf" in pre-made sizes and not made to fit. So, no worries about being discovered because no one is going to be taking detailed measurements of her.
Plus, didn't she take her father's armor and slip away in his place? So there was no fitting, just making use of her father's armor pieces, and that would mean not all the pieces would have fit her. I am assuming the latest poster is showing her wear what pieces she probably could make work for herself.

Plus, didn't she take her father's armor and slip away in his place? So there was no fitting, just making use of her father's armor pieces, and that would mean not all the pieces would have fit her. I am assuming the latest poster is showing her wear what pieces she probably could make work for herself.
She took her father's sword in the original Disney animated movie, but I don't recall if she took his armor though. Even if she did and found that the cuirass didn't fit, chances are that the tassets wouldn't have fit either. They would probably have completely encircled her waist and possibly even overlapped.

Brienne_of_Tarth-Gwendoline_Christie.jpg

I'm starting to worry that Disney might deviate from the theme of family devotion and dive into Western gender issues.
She says "... yet here I stand - proof there is a place for people like us ..."? Does she mean "us women"? Cringe.

If that's the case I can tell you right now that Mulan will enlighten Gong Li that her life in servitude to an evil (male) master is slavery and convince her to turn on the warlord. This also helps Disney resolve the dilemma about having Mulan prevail only by killing - when we can have the witch do it for us.

I'm 95% certain that's exactly what's going to happen. I'm just going to hope that this single narrative won't dominate the story.

(FWIW, I think the best way you can advance gender perceptions is by not making gender an explicitly gauche theme. An example where Disney did it right was Moana. On top of everything Moana didn't need to fight a social norm to be powerful. She managed to do so with the love and support of her people and had strong relationships with her father, mother and grandmother.)

But if I'm wrong I'll eat my words.

I'm starting to worry that Disney might deviate from the theme of family devotion and dive into Western gender issues.
She says "... yet here I stand - proof there is a place for people like us ..."? Does she mean "us women"? Cringe.

If that's the case I can tell you right now that Mulan will enlighten Gong Li that her life in servitude to an evil (male) master is slavery and convince her to turn on the warlord. This also helps Disney resolve the dilemma about having Mulan prevail only by killing - when we can have the witch do it for us.

I'm 95% certain that's exactly what's going to happen. I'm just going to hope that this single narrative won't dominate the story.

(FWIW, I think the best way you can advance gender perceptions is by not making gender an explicitly gauche theme. An example where Disney did it right was Moana. On top of everything Moana didn't need to fight a social norm to be powerful. She managed to do so with the love and support of her people and had strong relationships with her father, mother and grandmother.)

But if I'm wrong I'll eat my words.

While I can see that potentially happening, I don't think that it will because of the Chinese market. They have to know that the closer they keep to the themes of the original legend/myth the more they stand to make serious money with this movie in China. I can easily see this movie being one of, if not the, most successful Disney movie to run in China, if they don't get too woke with it.

Last edited:
You need to have Disney+ AND pay $29.99. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I think they should just put it out to the general ON DEMAND service so people who don’t have Disney+ can purchase it. I mean, I don’t agree with forcing people to buy a subscription to that service just because you can.
I have Disney+ and I am fine with them asking for people to pay a separate charge to watch Mulan, I just think they shouldn’t muddy the waters between the two.

I don't view this any differently than Amazon offering VOD with Prime AND renting films.

Also, it's a far cry less than my husband and I would have spent to see it in the theater, factoring in admission and food/drinks.

I would be curious to know how long that rental period will be, however. If it's 24 hours, that's a hard no from me, even though I really want to see the film. If it's 2 weeks or a month...? Eh, maybe.

I would also be curious to see how long the rental charge will be in place for it. If it's indefinitely, that's BS. If it's just for like 6 months, or even a year? I have less issue with that.

TL;DR, I will wait for more information before deciding if I'm shelling out another $30 for the film.

This movie wasn't projected to do well in the first place. Pure Chinese pandering, and ditching everything that made the original animated film charming like Mushu and the songs. Not to mention Shang got Me-tooed out of the movie.

This is just Disney's way to try to gouge out a profit from those who actually wanted to see this movie.

This movie wasn't projected to do well in the first place. Pure Chinese pandering, and ditching everything that made the original animated film charming like Mushu and the songs. Not to mention Shang got Me-tooed out of the movie.

This is just Disney's way to try to gouge out a profit from those who actually wanted to see this movie.

That... doesn't track at all with what is actually out there for projections... For example, Deadline from March 5...

‘Mulan’ Eyes $80M-$90M+ Opening On Tracking In The Wake Of Coronavirus Stateside Fears Ramping Up

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back