Mulan (Pre-release)

dascoyne

Master Member

I think this looks magnificent.
I always felt the core of the 1998 animated film was diluted by the obligatory Disney tropes, like the animal sidekicks and musical numbers. Thank goodness there's no CGI cringe-Mushu. And they don't need to dwell too long on social commentary about breaking gender stereotypes. I just want this film to be about the strength of her character and will and about her love and devotion to her family.

Last edited:

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
A while go I saw a live action version of Mulan at Walmart. It was a Chinese production, not Disney. Did anyone see that?

gedmac66

Sr Member
WOW ! Looking like a pretty faithful adaptation of the animated film without CGI characters ( at least going by that trailer ), and it’ll be cool to see when released ..., but where’s ‘granny’ !?

dascoyne

Master Member
If Disney wants to appeal to the Chinese audience they will understand that Mulan isn’t motivated by self-interest (e.g. trying to prove her worth) but by devotion to her family.

MangyDog

Good to see Rosalind Chao.
Haha the moment I heard her voice I was like, omg that's kaiko :D

Yeah I was the same... I'm not a fan of these remakes. But genuinely that teaser impressed me... Looked more like a straight up movie than a Disney film...

I'll be keeping an eye on this

Psab keel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was never a fan of the animated film. I enjoy the Disney animated films, but Mulan never grabbed me. Though I have to admit that this trailer looks promising. I would see it. It looks worlds better than the live action Aladdin remake.