MR Star Trek Original Series Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Nektu, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Nektu

Nektu Well-Known Member

This was just announced on their blog page.... Does anyone know more about this? The model will be 33" long, roughly 1/350 right? Electronics, etc.?

KK

2. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This was the response to my query on size.........

Dear Sir,

We do not have product dimensions yet. Please check our website for further
    updates.

Sincerely,

Jerry
    Customer Service

3. phasersonthrill

phasersonthrill Well-Known Member

According to a reply from Amy of Master Replicas. It will be 1/350 scale, 33" long. No other info was given on functions yet.

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Much... NICER... than the old Unobtainium..."

[​IMG]

:D

5. phasersonthrill

The product lists show two versions. The regular series and pilot episode. I would assume that if the pilot version did have electronics it would only be navigational lights,saucer and window lights etc. as the nacelles had the spikes on the caps and not the lighted spinners.

6. phase pistol

The "first" pilot version, from "The Cage" starring Jeffrey Hunter, has no lights. Also note the spikes on the warp engine front caps, and the very large deflector dish antenna. In addition the bridge dome on top of the saucer is very tall.

[​IMG]

The "second" pilot version, from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" starring William Shatner, has lit windows and navigation lights, and various other minor changes. Engine spikes, large dish antenna, and tall bridge dome are still there tho.

[​IMG]

Here's the "production version" seen during the run of the series (although the first two pilot versions showed up regularly in stock footage, in many episodes).

[​IMG]

- k

7. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am definitely getting one of these

8. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

With a MF coming and now a TOS Enterprise - looks like a second mortgage will be in order - these being my 2 "all-time" wish list pieces. I'd prefer to build it but hey - its too good to pass on. So hoping this will be true :D

Jedi Dade

9. Pauleysolo

Yep they are going to be $$$$$

10. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Well, if this turns out to be large, and lighted, then I'm in for one.

11. captjustc

captjustc Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder if they are starting from scratch or using old molds from unobtanium or another source?

12. phase pistol

Let's hope they are not using "old molds from Unobtainium"... that thing has got proportional problems. Plus it lacks the proper internal armature to prevent sagging and eventual self-destruction. :confused

This is what mine looked like after a year and a half.

[​IMG]

- k

13. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

I don't think MR will make the same mistakes as Unobtainium. They're aware of what happened with the last attempt to market a 33" Enterprise. They'll do the research and ensure that the materials are adequate to the task.

I came very close to buying an Unobtainium Enterprise, but when I heard that they were shipping them without anything to support the model but packing peanuts I decided to pass. A lot of people that received their Enterprise models had to return them due to poor packing. Historically, MR has some of the best packing I've seen.

14. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Yep, I'll be making my credit card company very happy with this beauty.

15. phasersonthrill

"Captain. She canna take any more. She's gonna blow.

16. phase pistol

:lol

Well... ye canna change the laws o' physics. :unsure

Maybe I could get the god Apollo to fix her up for me. :D

[​IMG]

17. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

It looks like god Apollo stopped her too quick and her front end buckled under. :lol

Lynn

18. CessnaDriver

Hopefully MR folks check these boards now and then and see our concerns and wants on this long overdue wanted product.

I too was very wary of unobtainium and did not bite. I have FAR greater confidence in MR to deliver the product we want.

Accuracy, lights, strength, swirly warp effect (its not warp science, blinky colored lights and a spinning dome inside a frosted dome).

I dont know how others feel but sound effects are not something I would care about. Especially if it keeps costs down.

Great blue prints for her by Alan Sinclair are here......

http://theomegasector.com/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=370&st=0

MR ya out there? take a look at them. We know you can do it right..

19. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

Yep.

This looks like another prop I can't afford. :lol :cry

Seriously, though, the shipping prices on this thing are going to be KILLER. It's not going to $5, $10, or even $15 per crate. It's probably going to be more on the order of $25 or more MINIMUM.

I hope for every buyer's sake that this replica model is shipped UNASSEMBLED and gets put together like the original shooting miniatures.

There's just no way this model will hold up IF it's assembled prior to shipping. Those nacelles have to be loose for the thing to make it through the mail.

The nacelle struts really are the weak point of about every TOS model kit I've ever seen. Unless they're properly internally braced, they'll sag just like the Enterprise in that poor guy's picture.

Obviously, the 11-foot shooting model was solidly built and has held up fairly well despite years of abuse by Paramount and the NASM (although it's in need of another restoration from the recent pictures I've seen... Hopefully, they don't overdo the repainting like the last restoration did).

The pilot version of the TOS Enterprise I'd vote for would the 2nd pilot version. That version appears more often through the TOS run at any rate. Purists aren't going to be completely happy, but there really isn't a point to doing two separate pilot Enterprise runs seeing as there really isn't a lot of different between the pilot versions.

You just know the hacker hobbyists will end up customizing the MR Enterprises any way...

As for lighting and sounds, I'd say there's fat chance MR will do this. Those features will add far more cost to the replicas than simple paint jobs. We're talking about a production run of several HUNDRED replicas, not just a few dozen. I've seen pictures of AMT/ERTL Enterprises that look just fine with painted on warp engine "swirl" effects. Again, I suspect people who want the lighting effects will have to modify their replicas.

20. Pauleysolo

I would be underwhelmed with painted on warp effects- they need to light this thing up.

21. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

I doubt MR will have any difficulty providing an electronics package for the Enterprise. It won't be that complex; just an IC package and some LEDs, simpler than the TOS tricorder. I'm really looking forward to this, and the assault phaser. Oh, baby.

Wish they'd come through with the pulse rifle.

22. phase pistol

I'd vote for a disassembled model for shipping... for one, the box would be MUCH smaller (tho if they include a display case, THAT will require a gi-normous box...)

On the original, the nacelle supports are very LONG, and insert all the way into the secondary hull on one end, and thru the diameter of the nacelle on the other. Very sturdy.

[​IMG]

And you're right, the "Where No Man" 2nd pilot version of the ship is seen quite often throughout the series... either in the credits or in stock footage.

[​IMG]

23. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

I'm curious...do you think the sagging is reversable if you display the Enterprise from fishing line attached to the nacelles and the primary hull rather than the base? or do you think the ship will fall apart from the stress of the fishing line?

24. phase pistol

I don't think a ship in THAT bad condition has any hope really... the paint has cracked and pulled up, so even if you could support it, it looks cracked and bad. :(

Worse still, the resin leaks oil for some reason... either deteriorating within, or reacting to the paint they used, not sure. In any case there are beads of oil oozing from the surface, like it was coated with baby oil. :unsure

- k

25. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

26. CessnaDriver

There was one fellow that built a cradle to keep it straight and posted some pics, claims its holding up well. He may be the only one that has been able to preserve it.

its a pretty long thread...

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=107455

27. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

HOLLY Cr4p. That sucks like a black hole... :cry
    I had thought I might take a crack at trying to fix the thing for you but if the resin wasnt blended correctly there is little you can do . :(
    too bad it cant be returned.
    you might try to add supports and in time it may spring back into shape.
    You would think for what they cost The quality would have been better.
    ya just cant trust anything these days. :angry
    MSL

28. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If all else fails -- and you have the nerve -- you could turn it into the Constellation. :confused

29. CessnaDriver

Quick update on this.

the MR Blog site has said that she will be 1/350th scale and lighted with spinning warp effect in the nacelles. Some actual TOS folks are involved too.

I am STOKED. is "stoked" still a cool word?

This is SICK. that better?

30. Emeldahay

Emeldahay Well-Known Member

THis plus the Falcon are gonna take up some space.

BTW "sick" is "turgid man" "totally turgid"

31. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder if the nacelles will spin in opposite directions.

That would be "*'."

My authorized retailer says that the first estimate on MSRP is $1400.

32. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

Any idea as to the MR price tag on this?

33. CessnaDriver

The post above yours is the only thing I have heard.