Mr Robot

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Cameron, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whos watching? Loving this show.

2. HEMADEW

HEMADEW Active Member

I loved the first episode and I've been enjoying the rest. It's kinda going away from what I hoped it would be towards what I hoped it wouldn't be (15 min story and 35 min cliché drama). I'm giving it a shot though. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.

3. kegas76

kegas76 Well-Known Member

I wasn't into this last one (eps1.3_da3m0ns.mp4) that much.

4. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

It's an interesting show so far, makes me wonder where they're taking it. I have to say between this, Humans, Dark Matter, and Killjoys it's shaping up to the quite the summer for new shows to enjoy.

5. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Love the pilot/EP1.. ep 2 was still ok/good..

the last two episodes have been crap.

too much weird stuff going on that really who cares.. or was just played out too long. (Evil Coprt VP CTO and his odd-ness,, and Elliots addiction stuff... blah blah)
    I understand there has to be a bit of character dev going on.. but really?

possible spoiler alert:

So Christian Slater is just Elliot's imagination...right? no one address him (except Elliot)

6. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The show is surprisingly good for something that's on the USA network, I can give it that. Though, I do agree with some of the sentiments above by @xl97. There's some things in the show that feels like it's there just to have the character do something for the sake of doing something (the biggest sinner of this was Marie in Breaking Bad and her kleptomania). Hopefully it works itself out later on and the show moves at a more focused pace.

Also, this is beginning to bother me now, and it's the direction in every episode. How everyone is framed either to the far left or the far right of the screen. This was good for the first couple episodes but now it's a needless artistic crutch for creating an interesting shot. The recent one, Daemons, drove it home with the scene with Darlene and Cisco, where they have to be intimate with each other. She goes to kiss him but he's off screen, all you get are kissing sounds and a face half cut off by the edge of the frame, cut to Cisco, and it's the same thing. There's no intimacy there, there's nothing to be felt there. The way it's set up, the viewer is completely removed from the moment by not being able to see the actors' focus. I kept thinking they were talking to somebody else behind them or over the other's shoulder. They also do this for single shots of characters when they're just talking to someone or a crowd but it makes them look like they're talking into space. It's such a sophomoric technique. Especially for a show that's shaping up to be as good as it is.

7. Cameron

Thats the theory going about. Reddit has sliced and diced this quite a bit with the Fight Club comparisons. I seem to remember the guy outside of the drug house talking to Slater but I think that was a hallucination so I believe you are correct. I truly hope Slater's character is real.

8. PoopaPapaPalps

The psychiatrist of Elliot's mentioned early on that he had episodes of seeing people who weren't there before, so "Mr. Robot" being a figment of his imagination is more than likely.

9. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i think mr robot would have to be a real guy.....he's the one that took elliot to the arcade to begin with.....i doubt you just go find that place with an imaginary friend and it would just happen to be full of hackers.

unless of course they are all imaginary.

10. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

my 'stance' on that is.. 'HE' is Mr. Robot (to everyone else).... to HIM.. he just projects that character/being..

If I go back and watch certain things.. nobody address Mr. Robot directly (nor does he reply really)

11. cboath

cboath Master Member

I tend to agree, but i wouldn't call them crap - but definitely not up to the pilot or ep2.

I'm wondering if the whole thing is a hallucination - others have called the company Evil Corp, i've seen posters on the walls that say Evil Corp as well. That's not the company's real name, though it'd be nice to see a giant corporation be that honest :)

I thought the hacker girl that showed up in Elliot's apartment said Mr Robot told her to go there (though i may not be remembering that right).

If they're all in his head, does that mean they'll get sued by the creator's of Herman's Head? :)

12. duality

duality Active Member

I keep telling my wife that this is fight club for hackers. I love the show, all of the irrelevant stuff is likely bate and switch in his mind. If he wasn't so jacked on substances with a brutal backstory, I wouldn't like the show so much. I just feel like the casting is terrific.

13. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

(aside from Christian Slater).. I think the casting has been terrific as well!

Guri likes this.
  14. duality

duality Active Member

Agree re slater... And my spelling in my comment above is brilliantly horrible.

15. breakfstmachine

breakfstmachine New Member

It's so much fun! I love this newer direction of USA, than the previous "blue sky" shows they were making. Also, I really hope Mr Robot is more than his imagination, and I agree that it's gotten a little bogged down in drawing out the episodes, rather than just plowing forward with it's narrative. Still, lots of fun to watch.

16. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Tons of Mr. Robot (Slater) talking to the 'group' (girl who fubar'd the Dark Army portion specifically)...
    but they dont address him back really.

I'm more and more convinced that Mr. Robot is Elliot, in this 'persona'..

Cant believe the 'I know you set him up' line thrown out int he bathroom.. (and then left alone?)

totally thought that would have more bearing 'somewhere' else in the story line. haha

17. cboath

cboath Master Member

I'd swear he had interaction within the group this week (MR R/slate). They can't all be in his head either as he was never driving the car up the storage facility either.

18. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Elliott's actor reminds me of Jeff Goldblum

I like the style of this show

J

19. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

I agree that slater is in his mind and he is mr robot. It's a good show I can't wait till they stick to the man. If they do that is.

20. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm really enjoying it.

I like the style of the entire thing. The story has been a bit "meh" in a few places, but by and large I've really liked it.

I even liked the episode when Elliot was, I guess, detoxing? It was an interesting trip into the mind of someone that's clearly troubled and incredibly intelligent.

That, and the bad guy?? That guy is awesome. The actor has the "emotionless bad guy" down to a science...he could easily be playing a robot or a terminator.

21. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

last nights' episode was GREAT!!!!

22. PoopaPapaPalps

You think so? I dunno. The last few episodes have been especially weak for me and the latest one tried to get back to what the show was originally was going to be about (before it got caught up in all this needless secondary character drama) but that "twist" surprise at the end had my eyes rolling.

Darlene's his sister and Mr. Robot is daddy? C'mon.

It literally just came from nowhere just to set up something else to take away from main plot later down.

23. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

Absolutely LOVED it!

The issues he has aren't anything like I was thinking. It kinda reminds me a bit of FX's FARGO, where you have a bunch of separate storylines that end up coalescing in the end.

...at least I hope...:confused

24. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Yeah I think it was a good one.. up there with the first initial episode, etc.

It had me questioning a lot of what I had thought was going on.

@PoopaPapaPalps

I agree with the later half of your spoiler comment.. but the first portion I liked, and thought gave it a GREAT spin on things..

So what are Elliot's motives then if his dad isnt even dead? Make believe motives? False motivation? (that he felt was real?)
    (Slater doesnt look/feel old enough to be daddy, IMHO, as far as casting.)

I'm not to keen on the VP CTO guy story line still.....(spy? foreign hacker group? now a killer? knew & didnt care that Elliot set up main CTO guy? but now...does?)

I wonder how much of the story so far is real (in some fashion) and how much is fake? (alternate reality or Elliot's perceived reality)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  25. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

26. Gimpdiggity

I thought these last few episodes have been some of the strongest episodes of ANYTHING I've seen on TV in a LOOOONG time. Just solid, from start to finish.

To address the issues mentioned...

Elliot's descent into the state of mind that he's currently in seems to have been brought upon him by the suspected death of his father. I say suspected because it's entirely possible that Mr. Robot IS in fact Elliot's father, alive and well, and his "death" only exists in one of the memories that Elliot has created in what appears more and more to be a systematic loss of memory. Darlene even says "You don't remember me again?," which clearly means that Elliot does this maybe not regularly, but often enough that it's hard for her to handle.

Anyway, IF Mr. Robot is in fact just a manifestation of memories for Elliot, it makes total sense to me that Mr. Robot would take on the form of his father. As I mentioned, the death of his father clearly was one of those events in a young person's life that shape what they are to become. Elliot's descent into what seems to us as the viewers to be a state of madness was CAUSED by the death of his father. So, he's using the memory of his father to justify what he's doing, and his imagination has conjured up this version of his father to "help" him with this plot against Evil Corp.

That's just my take on this so far.

I think that there's so much more to Elliot than we know right now, and I'm positive we won't find out half of it before this season ends. In the last meeting with his shrink, she told him that he had fulfilled his court ordered meetings. What happened that caused him to be required to attend these meetings?

All I can say is it's the only show on TV that I look forward to every week, and the only one that has my completely undivided attention. No phone near me, no laptop, no tablet, no talking to the wife...just viewing.

Cameron and Riceball like this.
  27. Gimpdiggity

I'm gonna just say it...Rami Malek's performance as Elliot has been nothing short of amazing to me.

The way he plays the troubled individual is so spot on, and I can't help but feel the emotions that his character is feeling.

Eliot's rage at Mr Robot tonight was played so perfectly...just awesome.

I fully believe he deserves some thought come award season.

Cameron and Riceball like this.
  28. ultraman

29. Gimpdiggity

I was disappointed when I saw that it had been postponed, but then I read the reason and was happy that USA made the decision.

We can wait until next week in the wake of what happened today, especially if there's something similar in the show.

30. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

I guess I'm of the minority opinion then.

I was extremely bummed they had postponed it!

31. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Mr. Robot - Fight Club, but with computer hackers. J/k. XD

MattgomeryBurns likes this.
  32. ultraman

new season 2 trailer popped up....i thought it was over after season 1!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    CB2001 likes this.
  33. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

There was a report a while ago about a couple of actors joining the show. One of them is my favorite, actress Sandrine Holt (of Fear The Walking Dead, Resident Evil: Apoclypse, House of Cards and The L Word).

Seriously, I love watching Sandrine Holt! :D

[​IMG]

34. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Riceball likes this.
  35. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

LOL! True.

The Terminator likes this.
  36. Cameron

Interesting.

37. Cameron

The past 2 episodes have been great. I loved this last one because we got to interact with the side characters Trenton and Mobley. Can't wait for next week.

38. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

I'm on the fence about this season so far..

I'm not a fan of the 'artsy'/fartsy' directing styles.. (dont explore/get crazy!.. stick the style of the pilot which was award winning!)

1.) I'm not 100% clear on HOW or even WHY Elliot is in Jail? (and how he gets out next episode then??)

2.) Just the last episode..
    Darlene kill someone now?
    WTF? really? And then the stuff with her boyfriend? (I'm not sure I l;ike the Darlene is becoming a 'major player'.. I liked her more as Elliots supportive sister/part of the group (not as a leader of anything.. not believable for me.. no charisma, her speeches stink!) haha

3.) The 'Mobley' thing.. just seem to quick and convenient (for me)

I get the first couple episodes need to do some 'character building'... and the relation between E & MR. R...

but now that the 'hack' is done (in season one).. I'm left thinking about the plots that we'll be getting?

I'm hoping it will still be good.. but doing all these crazy things make me feel like they are moving away from the core computer nerd/hacking that made me fall in love with the show in season 1

39. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

The sitcom episode with the studio laughter

J

Cameron likes this.
  40. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

I get that episode.

Was a creative way to visually describe something (the out of body/mind elsewhere to handle the pain..yadda yadda)..

just didnt care for it personally.

It gave the series a 'cheese factor' that season 1 didnt have.

I think the pilot and most of season 1 had me so spoiled... I wanted/expected the same quality every episode/to continue! :)

41. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

S2_complete.Mr.Robot_cool_af.

Thoroughly enjoyed. The twists and turns and decisions are excellent. The direction is great, and I love the serious quality of the show. The tone can be a bit nihilistic sometimes, but that is almost remedied by the characters themselves questioning things. And they ring some great emotion out of the actors. I'm totally hooked for S3.

42. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

The episode that didn't feature Rami at all was the best. I'm serious.

Cameron likes this.
  43. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

That was a great episode. I think Darlene sometimes lacks a little depth, but other times the character works really well.

Did you prefer this episode because of the lack of Elliot, or just on its own merits?

44. Father

Father Sr Member

I think I got about 6 episodes into season 1 and kind of lost interest.

There are a few things that turned me off of the show:

- The Tyrell Wellick character/arc is too weird for me.
    - Formulaic things like "he gets a dirtbag put in jail, and then guy ends up coming back and manipulating him a few episodes later"

I'm not totally writing it off but it's not always easy to sit through an entire episode... for me anyway.

45. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

re: Tyrell Wellick - agreed.

- hes a bit unrealistic for me.
    - even his own relationship with his 'wife' is odd, and doesnt make much sense.

Season 1 was still great for me! (a couple miss episodes, but I'm a programmer/hobby electronics geek, so I really dig the 'hacks' aspect the most)

Season 2 was not liked as much, but still good. I get the character building, and the 'inner struggle' with things and they each are handling 'it all'...

not really a fan of 'Darlene' character.... one dimensional,..etc cliche` statements/actions.

(but having her 'kill' someone? really? a little script kiddie chic all of a sudden turns to 'murder' ,........well, was a stretch for me to say the least)

Still not totally clear on the prison warden thing and the 'website'?

I totally didnt see the 'why he was in prison' part coming AT ALL!.

I kept asking,,, but WHY is he in there? What did I miss? haha

46. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Elliot talking to the audience and the whole is it real/not real thing gets old after a while. The tension in that particular episode was so thick you could cut it with a knife! I was like, this s#$t is about to get real. Lol! Now we are back to fantasy land.

47. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I won't spoil anything for other people but to me, the fantasy land stuff is so important. I get a real sense of awe occasionally when I think about what genuinely just went on in a particular scene when you take into account that..

Elliot is Mr. Robot and Mr. Robot is Elliot. When you step back and just remember that this one guy is the person doing all of this stuff, and we are simply introduced to his "good side" and therefore we empathize with him, when really, is he a sympathetic character? I'm not so sure. He's a tortured individual whose reality is in flux most of the time, and sometimes I just need to remind myself that what we've just seen is for example in the prison reveal in the beating in Season 2 and the hospital visit, his mind protecting itself (in an emotional moment of Mr. Robot taking the beating for him), not a "figment of his imagination" which would be so easy to dismiss it with. I just really enjoy the depth, as pretentious as it sometimes can be.

48. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

As far as I understood it - we know his routine, that is, the living at home in his single bed, his "mother" nearby, his visits to the diner, his visits to the basketball, his diary , the support group etc all of that, was a metaphor for the prison locations. Pretty straight forward.

Ray actually was running a black market style trafficking website, and was using the bent prison guards as his muscle to coerce Elliot into helping, or punishing him when he didn't. When Elliot managed to contact the FBI, Ray presumably got caught, just as he did in the metaphor. So that computer stuff was real, he did manage to communicate with Darlene etc. When the white power inmates got in Elliots face because he had removed the big cheese (which was probably making the white supremacists money on the outside using the website) they wanted to revenge kill Elliot and Leon protected him for Whiterose on the inside.

And I thought it was good that the first season affected the second season with the cheater hack and the dog stealing haha.

49. Father

Father Sr Member

For quite a few episodes I thought Mr. Robot/Christian Slater was gong to be like a Tyler Durden construct/fracture of Elliot's mind. When I realized it wasn't I was actually a little disappointed.

50. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Before I say anything, where are you upto in the series?