MR Rebel Blaster query

Sidewinder

Sr Member
Recently got an MR Rebel Blaster and after the initial wows I finally got through all the packaging and found it. :D Ya gotta hand it to em, MR sure know how to package a prop. :thumbsup Anyway that's by the by.
I hefted the blaster in my hand and promptly gouged two lines down the back of my thumb. This was from the sharp corners on the little release lever that sits under the body in front of the buttcap. "ow" I thought "hang on, that doesn't happen on my converted Sterling" was my follow up thought.
The real reason for this thread - off I go to compare the two and i'm surprised to find that the whole grip/trigger assembly is a full 2" further back on the MR than on a real Sterling.. :eek Is this right? :confused

Simon.

I wouldn't say 2"...more like 1" or 1.5".

I just checked my real sterling against my real Rebel Blaster conversion and that's correct. That trigger assembly was moved back. It's one reason why I completely machined that center tube. The original prop was drastically changed, so it didn't make any sense to keep any of the original tube.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormy320 @ Apr 29 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]1235551[/snapback]</div>
So - help me out. Does this mean the MR Blaster is inaccurate?
[/b]

No, it means they have defective Sterlings.

I think it was that way on the original prop. All the rebel blasters were resin--they hacked up a Sterling and rearranged things in the process of making the master.

If they used a Sterling pistol, that may explain why the layout is a little different than the E-11 blaster, but 2 inches is more than a little.

Sterling-9mm-MK-VII.jpg

sterling-mk7-b.jpg

It appears that the trigger assembly is farther back in relation to the feed/ejection ports, but it could just be the angle of the photos creating an optical illusion.

Here's an ad photo of the MR

MRrebelBlaster.jpg

MRrebelBlasterLeft.jpg

Here's a scan from my BAPTY catalog showing the original E11 blaster and a Sterling pistol. IMHO it looks as if the pistol trigger is set back a little more than on the full sized Sterling, but not by much.

BAPTYblasterAd.jpg

FYI - The Sterling Mk7 pistol was ruled out as the basis for the DH-17's because Sterling didn't release them until 1983- way too late to be used anywhere in the OT.

The ANH DH-17 (and later the ESB) is a heavily modified Sterling casting. Very easy to move parts around on a resin gun. The trigger group was moved, the ejection port shape was changed, and the cocking lever and slot were completely removed.

That Bapty ad is odd since the ROTJ Sterling in it is not even their work. Those were made by Stembridge.
The photo is from Lucasfilm, but I guess whoever gave it to them didn't know the difference.

Sidewinder,
I'm sure you're MR measures at 2". What I mean is that the original Rebel Blaster is about 1.5" to 1". That's what my scale is coming up as.

Is MR off? I have no idea.

Eltee,
I don't think that particular Sterling pistol was used. The magazine area is right over the trigger. The Rebel Blaster shows it much more forward, of the trigger. Without measuring, it looks like every thing matches a real Sterling, accept the grip was moved back. It could be that it was done to off set that muzzle or cone. It may have been heavier than the front section of a Sterling.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonepigeon @ Apr 30 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]1236178[/snapback]</div>
That Bapty ad is odd since the ROTJ Sterling in it is not even their work. Those were made by Stembridge.
The photo is from Lucasfilm, but I guess whoever gave it to them didn't know the difference.
[/b]

There is/was an alliance of sorts between Syd Stembridge and son and BAPTY (US). PM if you want details. That alliance worked on the Predator minigun and others. This catalog is of their rentals from a ways back, so they may have ended up w/the Sterling for rental purposes back then.

CE, apologies I misunderstood.

LP - I think MR says that there's is based on the blank firer, how would it fire blanks with no magazine etc??

SAS

When I was working the drawings I came up with just over 1 9/16” difference between the ANH DH-17 and the Sterling. Here are may versions of the ANH and ROTJ DH-17s;

Alan

rebal_blaster15.gif

ROTJ_DH-17.gif

Sidewinder,
No need for apologies.

Very nice blueprints.

Just for grins, here's my own Rebel Blaster. It's has a few real, Sterling parts. The rest is machined aluminum:

RebelBlasterRight.jpg

RebelBlasterLeft.jpg

I'm proud of this particular prop, because it took about a year off & on to do the research, then another year to do the actual build, with tooling. Definitely a much tougher job than the E11 counter part.

Thank you.

That is a beautiful piece of work. Very nice..

That is an interesting reference picture in the background of the first pic. Where is it from? If I may ask? and would it be possible to get a copy?

Alan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwingpilot @ May 4 2006, 03:19 AM) [snapback]1238006[/snapback]</div>
Heres my version, I tried to be as authentic to the original as I could.

rpfdh17post10zc.jpg

[/b]

Your barrel isn't all droopy like the original. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back