MR Falcon

Hi Zenwalker

No notices have been sent out to people who purchased the SE yet. The first container only has LE's, this is because the factory did not get the plaques with Harrison Ford's signature until a little over a week ago. They are in the process of making SE's now in Asia.

Bryan

<div class='quotetop'>(Zenwalker @ Nov 4 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1350950[/snapback]</div>
Hi, I am new here :) Have been lurking around for the last couple of weeks. From what I've read, my understanding is that you get the 'code' when your credit card is charged just before shipment. I ordered an SE MF within the first 10mins. of it going up for sale to CS members, but have not even gotten an e-mail yet :cry . If I didn't get a low series # it would be disappointing. I don't see the point of paying $80 for a CS membership to get an early chance at buying the product when it's offered to CS members and then they just randomize the series #'s anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose of the CS membership, for me anyway. If that is the case I am thinking of cancelling my order too and picking one up later (are you listening MR). Anyone know if they randomize the series numbers on all their products, or do they usually place the series #'s as they are ordered?
[/b]

MR just updated their blog with new images............look CGI to me. Just a heads up in case you haven't seen them already.

Dave :)

If they are photographs, they are quite impressive... That really gets my appetite whetted for the falcon and up until now, I wasn't interested.

<div class='quotetop'>(alienscollection.com @ Nov 6 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1352388[/snapback]</div>
Don't think those are CGI...
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(vaderdarth @ Nov 7 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1352521[/snapback]</div>
If they are photographs, they are quite impressive... That really gets my appetite whetted for the falcon and up until now, I wasn't interested.

<div class='quotetop'>(alienscollection.com @ Nov 6 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1352388[/snapback]
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Those are the publicity pictures MR shot of the replica bird. What you see is what you get.

Barry

For those wanting to get a display cover for the MF, yesterday at the council
meeting Bryan said that they are working with a local company to offer a
cover either through MR or direct from the company. So - nothing definite
yet but they are still trying to make a cover available one way or another.

I plan on making my bird a custom vertical display case. It will be the only way I will have room to display

it. Anyone have any info. on the structure of the MR Falcon? My understanding is that there is an internal

aluminum armature. Is the hull of the MR Falcon one solid resin piece? I would like to mount it from three

points, under the two escape pods on either side and from the bottom under the engine. Not sure exactly

how to do it yet but... must be done VERY CAREFULLY.

I was told the Falcon just sits on the pivot point, and can't be hung sideways.

I also thought about making it a wall mounted display.
the inner structure seems solid enough to make a fixed pivot point.
and was planning to make a deathstar or stardestroyer background,
and hang the falcon in front of it.

Xeno

o.jpg

The shipping weight of the box is ~100 pounds - even though the MF
itself will be less weight, still - you'd better be sure you've got a solid
anchor to the wall.

<div class='quotetop'>(xeno @ Nov 7 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]1352785[/snapback]</div>
I was told the Falcon just sits on the pivot point, and can't be hung sideways.

I also thought about making it a wall mounted display.
the inner structure seems solid enough to make a fixed pivot point.
and was planning to make a deathstar or stardestroyer background,
and hang the falcon in front of it.

Xeno

o.jpg

[/b]

I am not sure if hanging it is a good idea as you would have to attach some kind of anchors to the Falcon to hang it from. I was thinking a vertical display case with a metal bar in the shape of a 'T' behind the Falcon. Then from the two sides of the top of the 'T' have metal holders shaped to the curve of the escape pods. The escape pods would then rest on these curved metal holders. The metal holders would have felt on them as not to scratch anything. The metal bar would be imbedded in the display base. A third point could be added at the bottom of the Falcon using a piece of wood shaped to the curvature of the rear part of the Falcon engine area. Using these three points would make it pretty stable. However, displaying it this way you would probably not be able to use the light features on the model. You could however scratch build another gun turret for the bottom of the Falcon (based on the top turret) and cover the hole where the lighting connector goes. Anyway, i am sure none of these mounting methods are recommended.

The Falcon is molded in pieces like a pizza which are all assembled around the metal interior frame. I would not recommend hanging it, (it's very heavy), nor would I recommend mounting it vertically. It hasn't been designed for that purpose so I have no idea what it would do to the stability of its assembly, or what stresses would be added to the structure.

Given that the outer surface of the model is resin and that resin tends to be brittle, any drilling or modifications could be subject to a knock on effect that would fracture panels of the model. Also the display mount was changed late in the day to enter the model at an angle so that the Falcon sits banked, similar to how the actual model is displayed. That would require special handling too.

I would recommend EXTREME caution, I'd hate to see anyone bugger up their model. Plus any customer effected changes will definitely invalidate the warranty, and this is an expensive piece to be messing with.

But if you do attempt it, good luck.

Barry

thanks Barry for that info, but due to the extreme high shipping costs to Europe
I have a friend shipping it normal price to me without the base.
and will loose any warranty anyway :D

I will open the falcon up and weld a special steel holder to mount it
so it would be rock solid...just to be certain.

but I won't have it hanging vertical, just a bit more slanted then on the base,
and on the wall supported on the underside.

Xeno

Barry, what kind of mounting point (single, multiple, threaded, etc.) does the Falcon have?

Would it be possible to mount it on a different (still vertical) armature without changing the actual replica?

Thanks,
Allan

Xeno, please post pics of your mods when you get yours.

<div class='quotetop'>(vaderdarth @ Nov 7 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1352521[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>(alienscollection.com @ Nov 6 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1352388[/snapback]
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Those look like Alain Rivard's model to me. At the very least those shots have been digitally processed. There is way too much blurryness on the "paint" to my eyes. They just "feel" CG to me.

I just looked at thema gain with fresh eyes. The shadows are super hard.

Those ARE CG images.

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Nov 7 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]1352864[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(vaderdarth @ Nov 7 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1352521[/snapback]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Those look like Alain Rivard's model to me. At the very least those shots have been digitally processed. There is way too much blurryness on the "paint" to my eyes. They just "feel" CG to me.

I just looked at thema gain with fresh eyes. The shadows are super hard.

Those ARE CG images.
[/b][/quote]
If you are refering to the MR linked pics of the Falcon, those are not CG images....that is my paint master. The lights and engine effects were added

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back