MR 2006 lineup unveiled

Another thing that others have not cosidered is that the CE line will open up new opertunities for replicas for MR. What I mean in they could never make a Ki-Adi Mundi LE or Adi Gallia LE or any of the variations. At 360$ a pop, certain props just wouldn't sell enough for the investment to pay off. With a lower cost version out there, they can diversify what they are offering.

I for one think that the CE's are a great idea, and that they will open up MR products to an entirely different market that isn't willing to drop $400.00 on a lightsaber replica.

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

My main gripe is that is I knew that MR was going to make a Luke SE, then I would most definately would NOT have bought the EE version. For me I wanted to have all of the OT sabers, and the Luke episode IV and the Vader VI were the only two I was missing. As for the the Obi EE, I would get this saber over the LE or CE any day. Due to the complexity of this saber, I feel the EE treatment is most definately warrented. At least I'll get my ROTJ vader (as ugly as it is :lol ) and finally complete my OT STARWARS Lightsaber collection.

Happy Holidays to All..

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369+Dec 25 2005, 12:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Dec 25 2005, 12:27 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kerr Avon
@Dec 25 2005, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a lot of people are buying MR products for the wrong reasons. 

May I suggest you look at stocks, bonds, and CDs as a form of investment?  :rolleyes
[snapback]1143502[/snapback]​

Agreed, If people here are complaning because of all these new releases are hurting their older MR's values are buying these products for any "potentional" future investments are NOT spending their money wisely.

I'm glad they are actually making product that is affordable, $200- 400 is not exactly affordable when they come out with many products that are in the similar price range.

I only have two MR products an AT-AT and Snowdspeeder, the only way I was able to afford them was to sell my TE trooper armor for the AT-AT and I did an even trade of vintage SW toys to Brians toys for the Snowspeeder, so no money even exchanged hands for that purchase. Otherwise I never could have gotten these great pieces because they are tooooooo damn expensive.

I'm hoping that the signiture edition AT-AT drops down considerably in value as well so I can be able to afford that one.

Lynn
[snapback]1143547[/snapback]​
[/b]

And see that's part of it too. How many of us bought (as Diggler mentions) certain props from MR with the very expectation that there wouldn't be other mass releases, and hence paid some pretty hefty sums only to have those sums (like the 1st edition AT-AT) drop drastically with the follow up or announcments of further variations? If I had bought all the LEs at the MR prices and then found that the CEs would look just as good, just as close to what we see on screen, I'd be pretty honked to see that I could have bought a cheaper CE or, even more frustrating, see that I could have snagged an LE for $100 or less because the CEs knocked their value down.

We're not all talking investements. Anyone who invests in toys, props, etc. (as so many did with all the stupid Target, WalMart and other Kenner/Hasbro exclusives and were burned) are just being very, very foolish. Heck even stocks and bonds are barely trustworthy nowadays with our crazy economy, to even think a TOY will get what a MOC '77 Darth Vader will with all the new toys is plain ignorant.

What we are talking about is the damage to MR this potentially could have as well as the effects on people deciding what, if anything, to buy or just always "waiting for the next version"...again like the plates, cards, comics, figures, and all the other collectible areas that have drowned in their own variation insanity.

I'll be curious to see what the CE sabers look like, and how much they cost. I sold all of my MR stuff a while back, because as nice as it is, it just sat there in it's case, day after day. Now, if the CE stuff looks decent, and it's cheap enough to use for costuming, it might be very cool indeed. I know a lot of people are upset with this, but collectibles are NEVER a good investment, and never have been.

I really think everyone needs to hold off on getting their panties in a twist untill they actually see the CE line. For all we know, they could look like Hasbro sabers, and then everyone would have whined and bitched for no reason.

I am a little peeved over the SE coming out after the ANH Luke EE, I would much rather have a signature edition, but I have already got the EE and I can't do anything about how they decide their product releases. Other than that, the CE's don't bother me, as they will be a "you get what you pay for item" , lesser quality, lesser cost.

Do you think the Maul will be double priced?

It was my understanding that the FX Maul will only be one half of the lightsaber, so if you want a full Maul saber you will need to buy two. So to answer your question, yes. :)

Back to the topic, does anyone know just how definitive this list is? I mean, is this the total '06 product line? I am very interested in hearing more about the costumes and the MIB pistol, but they were not even mentioned in the announcement. :(

Sean

An interesting topic here. I sent an email to MR when they released the Luke ROTJ EE to tell them that I noticed it was seriously affecting the value of the Luke ROTJ LE. I don't have the reply anymore but it they just disagreed with me. At the time, the Luke ROTJ LE was selling from $700 - $1,000 prior to the EE. I picked one up for well under $400 after the price drop. The Yoda EP II also dropped drastically in value when the Yoda EP III was announced.

But as the arguement has been made before, do we purchase these for investment? Not me. I purchase these for the love of the craft and the memory of the magic of seeing these things work on screen. I for one am interested in seeing the CE but will most likely continue to purchase the LE. It is a bummer that I wont be able to get my MR products from my retailer but I am a devoted fan regardless.

How many hobbies can you get nearly your money back if you liquidate? I have a friend who races cars. Do you have any idea how expensive that hobby is? Try a new pair of tires almost every time you race. I'm sticking to prop collecting.

MR is a young company and they have to do what they must to survive. They are respectable and they will try different things as they continue to grow. We are fortunate that they listen to the fans. I believe they will do what is best for us with the goal of growing as a company. I for one hope to see them around for a long time.

I cannot diminish anyones arguments here. I can only offer an opinion.

While I would never be obnoxious enough to tell anyone what to do with their money, invest it or flush it down the toilet, whatever, that isn't what the point is. The point is truth in advertising. A limited edition that isn't just plain isn't. I have no issue with a different episode version having cosmetic difference. I do have an issue paying up to 4x original cost to get an item which is going to be same or less than original cost. I just wouldn't have done if I thought limited didn't mean limited. I guess I need a lesson in Clintonian vocabulary exercise.

Tim

I missed it some how... what isn't limited about the limited editions?

I've owned BOTH ROTJ Luke sabers and they are worlds apart.

Originally posted by Gytheran+Dec 26 2005, 07:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gytheran @ Dec 26 2005, 07:27 PM)</div>
I missed it some how... what isn't limited about the limited editions?
[snapback]1144089[/snapback]​
[/b]

I guess so.
<!--QuoteBegin-WEBSTER

Main Entry: 2limit
Function: transitive verb
1 : to assign certain limits to : PRESCRIBE
2 a : to restrict the bounds or limits of b : to curtail or reduce in quantity

Somehow you have equated limited = higher quality. That is not the definition.

When MR comes out and says:

there will be an Episode X hilt for character Y limited to Z numbers total

that is not the same as:

there will be a high quality Episode X hilt for character Y limited to Z numbers, but there may be lower or different quality versions later

When signature versions came ourt with limited versions they were still part of the advertised LIMITS. Z ltds & Z' Sigs.

I don't know how else to explain there is a limit to a number of hilts is different than a different "product line" which is the new double speak on reissuing LIMITed editions as non-limited versions.

As far as I know the CE "product line" is fine. (It will still be too expensive for kids to costume or any other excuse used for taking the limits off of a limited item). It is simple English & simple logic. If I know the limits would be busted, Orwellian double-speak or not, I unlikely would have bought a half dozen at market rates. I didn't by them for an investment or to resell them. I bought them at high prices because I was told by MR there would be no more. It has nothing to do with up or down marketing or any other retail rationalizations. Am I stupid for believing a company.... Silly me.

Limited Edition is pretty self-explanatory.

It is an edition which is limited... no edition, which was previously determined to be closed, has been reopened for sale.

The CE is not the LE and should not be confused. In no part have the limited editions been made unlimited. MR has simply brought out a new product line(notice... new product line. This means the item is different than any previous product line, i.e. not the same) to cater to a new demographic.

The argument that MR lied to its customers is libelous at best, and quite frankly, I'm pretty sick of reading the BS.

Originally posted by Gytheran@Dec 26 2005, 10:39 PM
Limited Edition is pretty self-explanatory.

It is an edition which is limited...  no edition, which was previously determined to be closed, has been reopened for sale.

The CE is not the LE and should not be confused.  In no part have the limited editions been made unlimited. MR has simply brought out a new product line(notice... new product line. This means the item is different than any previous product line, i.e. not the same) to cater to a new demographic.

The argument that MR lied to its customers is libelous at best, and quite frankly, I'm pretty sick of reading the BS.
[snapback]1144181[/snapback]​

Semantics and game playing. Hamilton, Kenner/Hasbro, Playmates, Don Post, etc. and so on have done this where they issue a "limited edition" and then issue a "special limited edition" and then a "signature special limited edition" and finally an "elite special limited signature edition." But they are all still the same style, look, and item overall with just a hair difference or one that no "regular buyer" would ever even notice or frankly care about. Hence why comics, cards, plates, statues, and any number of items by those companies is worthless.

It's a cheap and easy way to reuse old tooling, molds, paint designs, machinery, etc. I'm not saying it's bad business nor even lying, but I am saying it ends up being questionable business.

You can even look at the variations of the Star Wars movies themselves from one special edition VHS to this boxed widescreen VHS to that re-boxed VHS with a special preview to that SE DVD collectible boxed set to the SE with special features and a ROTS preview boxed set and so on.

And again for the collector who did shell out money to have a "limited" edition where there would be only 2,500 Luke Lightsabers and 500 SE Luke Lightsabers (I don't know the numbers, just using examples) to suddenly be told there will be 50,000 CE Luke Lightsabers but they will be aluminum instead of stainless steel....to most people the material doesn't mean jack unless it looks WAY different (ie: like Rubies toy in comparison) and in that case the term "Collectible Edition" and MR's reputation could shift to being another Rubies.

The way to do it is how Sideshow (so far) is doing it. Their LOTR statues are limited, REALLY limited, and so the prices, value and the "I have this REALLY awesome RARE piece and it is MINE" feeling are all there. They aren't reissuing them nor playing with their molds to make them slightly different (though seeing a new 12" Richtofen figure has me wondering a bit when there are hundreds of WWI famous characters they could make...). They release them and stick to it.

Again, supply and demand. Either you meet demand fully and expectently (CE) or you don't (LE). But to play the middle and try to cover both is risky as has been proven in the past.

I suppose we'll see what happens when the CEs hit the market and how the LEs and other editions are affected. Time will tell as it always does.

If you really stop and think about it, the quality of MR(both in product and customer service)has slowly been declining for the past few years. I think everyone would agree that the old " Collectors society " was a better and more rewarding program. The "LE's" went from a limited collectors item to an open ended item so that MR would never have more product than what was in demand. Look at how we lost the "presentation boxes" that were replaced with cheap styrofoam(the ROTS sabers) . As for the customer service, I rembember when you would call the 866-Replika # and talk to someone who knew the product and could give you an intelligent answer to a question. Now I'm happy if I talk to someone that can speak English. I think in the end MR is going to bite themselves in the butt with the way their buisness is heading. They are going to loose their loyal clients, who were willing to spend their money from something they really valued. What they will get is a new set of customers who will buy an item or two as a novelty, but be done with them. So while initialy it will look like they are reaching a new audience(and they will) in the end they will loose the most important thing for a strong and successful buisness...a happy REPEAT customer.

Diggler,
it does sound unfortunate that so much has changed from what the company was in the beginning.........but we have to remember that all new companies spend alot more in the way of presentation and customer service when trying to get the company up and running.

But eventually, all companies must reign in the extra spending in lieu of acceptable company profits. If it means altering the direction of the customer base to get that desired dollar figure at the end of the fiscal year..........ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that our small band of keen eyed collectors are a significant portion of MR's customer base. They have already told us fifty times that we are a tiny percentage of their vast clientelle base. I know we think ourselves worth more than that............and they do value the input our group gives them...........but they can still turn a profit without any input from us too. Instead of the higher quality reps they put out now............they could do quite well selling "Icons" type quality to larger numbers of buyers.

As the demand increases for their products...........they have to have more product made outside the country to keep up with the demand........along with that is lower quality control.............less communication between facets of the company's operations............and lots and lots of delays.

Just don't forget that they can sell 100 inexpensive FX sabers for every ultra accurate limited edition prop replica..............and the profit is likely triple for the same investment and effort.

Money drives any business. It has to take precedence over the desires of the collector.

Dave

In teresting item here:

-Stormtrooper Ep IV Helmet CE
-Stormtrooper Ep IV Helmet LE

I wonder if the quality and accuracy can match or even close to helmets already in circulation (TE/GINO/GF/SDS).

Or are they just make a symetrical helmet and try to get a buck out of it.
I like to know more about those helmets MR gonna produce.

Originally posted by carves@Dec 27 2005, 07:59 AM
In teresting item here:

-Stormtrooper Ep IV Helmet CE
-Stormtrooper Ep IV Helmet LE

I wonder if the quality and accuracy can match or even close to helmets already in circulation (TE/GINO/GF/SDS).

Or are they just make a symetrical helmet and try to get a buck out of it.
I like to know more about those helmets MR gonna produce.
[snapback]1144297[/snapback]​

These have been already discussed at lenght when they first came into public knowledge last spring/summer.
They will be idealized as well as symetrical, not even close to a TE or Gino helmet.

Lynn

It's not idealized in the usual way though. It's not taking one side of the helmet and producing a mirror image. In this case, they took a screen helmet and, in order to make it symmetrical and still keep the screen characteristics, they took features of the right and applied to the left, and then took the left features and applied to the right...............so when you look at it........it still looks like a stormtrooper even though it really is symmetrical now. Take a look at the pic..............it still looks very nice. Though it obviously doesn't match any screen helmet..............it wouldn't stand out in a group pic either.

It's a rather unique process and one that will make fans pretty darn happy. Of course if you want a photocopy of TE's helmet, you'll hate it. The MR Stormtrooper helmet is it's own animal. It's gonna be popular regardless.

Dave

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back