MPC Falcon cockpit tunnel

jake88

Sr Member
I'm trying to scratch-build a tunnel and cockpit for the MPC Falcon kit to try and bring it up to the correct (bigger) size. But, I'm having a heck of a time. I just cant seem to get it looking right. Does anyone know of an aftermarket resin cockpit or know any tricks? Ive used PVC and styrene and just cant get it.

I guess this would qualify as a "trick".

The width of the cockpit tunnel is correct its just that the Model tunnel is not round... for some reason it is flattened on the top as it goes from the cockpit toward the center . If you go with the diameter without the flattening it looks right - I think it was 1.5" but its been a REALLY long time since I rebuilt mine, so measure for yourself ;) the material you use should not matter all that much, as long as its seemed properly to the existing model and painted over, the end product should "look" no different

Enjoy - modding that kit is the most rewarding and frustrating thing I ever built - it made me a much better modeler though :D

Jedi Dade

Hmm I don't think the tunnel width IS correct Dade, as the cockpit is the same diameter as the tunnel, and the cockpit is very definitely too small.

There are lots of matching measurements on the Falcon, and on the MPC the jawbox, cockpit, docking rings and radar dish should all be 44mm. Of course, the only one of these that's correct on the MPC is the jawbox.
The funny thing with that ol' kit is that the radar is way way too big...and the cockpit is too small...it's been said that they likely didn't account for perspective :lol

Maybe I misunderstand, but the MPC model was definitely based on the 5 footer. It's the ANH version without the lower landing gear boxes. The 32" Falcon was made for ESB well after the MPC kit was on the market. Matching the greeblies of the kit to the studio models clearly shows that the MPC version is a simplified take on the 5-foot model.

--Alex

Maybe I misunderstand, but the MPC model was definitely based on the 5 footer. It's the ANH version without the lower landing gear boxes. The 32" Falcon was made for ESB well after the MPC kit was on the market. Matching the greeblies of the kit to the studio models clearly shows that the MPC version is a simplified take on the 5-foot model.

--Alex

You're quite correct about that, the MPC is loosely based off the 5'. The dimensions are still off though :lol

Here is where I'm at after fighting my way through many learning curves and thank you all that helped me with your fantastic advise! I couldn't have done it without you.

Attachments

• P1030721.JPG
    P1030721.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 173
  • P1030726.JPG
    P1030726.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • P1030735.JPG
    P1030735.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
  • P1030740.JPG
    P1030740.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • P1030743.JPG
    P1030743.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 115
  • P1030742.JPG
    P1030742.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
DAMN those cockpits are sweet...how'd you do them?
Thanks Haystack,I used paper to get a rough shape of what I wanted for the cockpit. Then I transferred that to .05 MM styrene and glued and cut the window frame. Hardest part was the little framing pices that run down the center. BTW I'm using you and Jaitea's Falcon build threads as my reference.

Thanks Haystack,I used paper to get a rough shape of what I wanted for the cockpit. Then I transferred that to .05 MM styrene and glued and cut the window frame. Hardest part was the little framing pices that run down the center. BTW I'm using you and Jaitea's Falcon build threads as my reference.

Great work...the question is really who isn't using Jaitea's thread as reference. I'm flattered you're using mine though for sure!

& by that I hope you're learning by my many goof-ups ;)

J

Well I got the Falcon wrapped up and the base finished so I thought I'd post some pics. I was going for a "Master Replica's" look, but no lighting. I'm pretty pleased as to how it came out. Mods I made were: shortened side walls with scratch built details, scratch build cockpit and tunnel, scratched landing gear boxes on the bottom and a lot of added detail to the hull. Thanks for looking.mpc2.jpgmpc3.jpgmpc4.jpgmpc5.jpgmpc6.jpgmpc8.jpgmpc11.jpg

It always amazes me how a good paintjob can completely transform the model... Don't get me wrong the mods you made look great... but your paintjob is pretty spectacular :D

Jedi Dade

Gotta agree with everyone, great painting,....the ship looks perfect

Great modifications also,.....the MPC gets so much slagging, but you can clearly see here that if it's done right, it can look just as good if not better than the FineMolds kit

J

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back