Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Agreed. It's one extended chase scene and it's not even about Mad Max. Complete pass.
Yup. And for me no one can replace Mel Gibson.

There's that moment in Road Warrior during the final chase when the baddies are picking off the good guys one by one until Max finally has enough of it and he leans out of the truck and blows away one of the drivers with his shotgun. That one moment gets me more amped than anything that happens in Fury Road.

Yup. And for me no one can replace Mel Gibson.

There's that moment in Road Warrior during the final chase when the baddies are picking off the good guys one by one until Max finally has enough of it and he leans out of the truck and blows away one of the drivers with his shotgun. That one moment gets me more amped than anything that happens in Fury Road.
It's too bad that his public relations was so bad for a while.

Imagine if he starred in Fury Road. It would have been perfect. (or...more perfect)

It's too bad that his public relations was so bad for a while.

Imagine if he starred in Fury Road. It would have been perfect. (or...more perfect)

Only if Fury Road hadn't been anything like what Fury Road was like. I mean, the whole concept behind Fury Road was just dumb. Adding Mel Gibson to it wouldn't have made it any better and he's just too old to do much of anything these days, not like Max did much of anything in Fury Road anyhow. It was really Furiosa, guest-starring Mad Max in the background.

I watched Mad Max and Road Warrior a few years ago, it requires a pretty heavy dose of nostalgia to get through either. I can't get my kid to watch Thunder Dome after the first two.
Regardless of how much Max is in Fury Road, I found the story interesting and the film making incredible.

Only if Fury Road hadn't been anything like what Fury Road was like. I mean, the whole concept behind Fury Road was just dumb. Adding Mel Gibson to it wouldn't have made it any better and he's just too old to do much of anything these days, not like Max did much of anything in Fury Road anyhow. It was really Furiosa, guest-starring Mad Max in the background.
Even in the 2nd and 3rd one, max was just a wanderer. We see a situation through his eyes. Sure, he helps. But those weren't his story.

After Fury Road came out, I went back and watched the originals. I hadn't seem them in years. In all honesty, they weren't great. The road warrior is by far the best, but the first one is the slowest action movie ever and the third was just kinda silly

...The road warrior is by far the best, but the first one is the slowest action movie ever and the third was just kinda silly

So, I've never really considered Mad Max to BE an action movie. It always seemed more like a suspense thriller sort of thing. Then the series became more of an action series.

The same way ALIEN is a hard core horror movie. and ALIENS is solidly an action suspense type of thing.

Even in the 2nd and 3rd one, max was just a wanderer. We see a situation through his eyes. Sure, he helps. But those weren't his story.

That's the whole point, at least after the first movie. He is a wanderer. He encounters things that need his particular set of skills to solve. He shows up, he solves the problem, he moves on. In Fury Road, he was just a bystander. He showed up and Furiosa did all of the heavy lifting, at least until she actually had to do something hard, then Max shows up to save the day. The only reason his name is on the title card is because it has a fan base to it. It could have been called "Furiosa" with Max entirely written out and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

After Fury Road came out, I went back and watched the originals. I hadn't seem them in years. In all honesty, they weren't great. The road warrior is by far the best, but the first one is the slowest action movie ever and the third was just kinda silly

The first one wasn't an action movie, it was a low-budget post-apocalyptic film. Road Warrior is by far the best of the bunch and a lot of people think Beyond Thunderdome was the worst. It was Hollywoodized almost beyond recognition. Fury Road is the same thing. It simply doesn't follow the rules of its own world. About the only thing Miller got right was using mostly practical effects. But, even though movies like Road Warrior have some very weird inconsistencies, like the scarcity of bullets, but everyone has gas, this one is everyone has gas but nobody has water. That's just bizarre. Plus, while Road Warrior had some over the top customization, Fury Road was post-apocalyptic Pimp My Ride. It was beyond silly. People who can hardly scrape together anything to eat or drink are building gigantic speaker stacks with flaming guitars? What idiot thought that fit into the established mythos? The storytelling in Fury Road was terrible. It was just a long car-chase. There was very little time for decent character building because they were too busy driving and doing asinine stunts. Like I said, Miller has become Hollywoodized. And, of course, this whole thing is agenda-driven. That's the biggest problem. It isn't that Hollywood wants to have strong female leads, that's fine, it's that they want to ride on the back of male-driven franchises instead of simply starting something new and earning its place. It's all Hollywood does anymore.

In fact, Fury Road even does all of that badly. Furiosa wants to save all of the supermodels, not any of the non-traditionally beautiful women. They're all "dumb blondes" who aren't any use to anyone in the wasteland except as sex slaves, but those are the ones that are getting driven across the desert, aren't they? The only reason Furiosa is doing any of this is because she's pissed that she couldn't be one of them. I mean how shallow does this get? Plus, she's just not well represented in the movie. She gets stabbed once and almost passes out over the wheel of the truck. Meanwhile, Max is getting bled for days on end and becomes a human pincushion and still can kick the ass of an entire army. For a feminist movie, which is exactly how it's described, Max sure has to save everyone's ass a lot.

It really is a stupid movie from end to end. But lots of things blow up and that's all most people care about these days apparently.

Well in that case I'll opt for every superhero movie ever, every Judd Apatow (or associates) movie ever and every slasher movie ever (except maybe Halloween).

If we're painting with broad brushes here, I'll express my "dislike with extreme prejudice" of musicals. Almost all of 'em, really. The Wizard of Oz (1939), Paint Your Wagon (1969), and Phantom of the Paradise (1974) are the only ones that immediately come to mind that I've seen more than once.
There's a few I don't mind but most of the ones I do enjoy end up getting the musical stuff skipped.
Exceptions: The Blues Brothers and any instrumental piece by the Marx Bros.

For me, it’s Joker.

Nothing new.
Nothing groundbreaking.
Every part of the film was predictable.

I liked it a little more—the first time I saw it—when it was called The King of Comedy. Or, the second time, when it was called Taxi Driver.

I don’t get it. The Dark Knight got the character and story right.

Last edited:
Please tell me The Nightmare Before Christmas is not on your “dislike with extreme prejudice” list.
It is not. For whatever reason, it's also not a movie that immediately comes to mind when I think "musical".

There's a few I don't mind but most of the ones I do enjoy end up getting the musical stuff skipped. Exceptions: The Blues Brothers and any instrumental piece by the Marx Bros.
Also not movies that come to mind when I think "musical", probably because a) I like the musical numbers, and b) I think of them as comedies rather than musicals. And, yes, I know Mr. Landis would rather not hear that.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back