Movies made in Pittsburgh and PA

"The Fish that saved Pittsburgh" :confused

lol. I'm going to google this one. There is that Sienna Miller movie "Ghosts of pittsburgh or mysteries of pittsburgh" or somethign like that. I don't know if it ever even got released. I know the mayor was kissing her butt even after she ticked off residents by calling it "s**tsburgh".

Two that were filmed in the 'burgh while I was there..
Kingpin..used a Northside bowling alley among other locations
Sudden Death at the old Igloo,

Mirror, are you sure about Batman? I'd heard the were all studio or back lot either in UK, L.A. or Mexico(for Returns). I know after returns they were scouting for the 3rd movie, but after Keaton and Burton left, I thought that fell through.

Hmmm, honestly that is the only one I was 100% sure on,....I was going off what a buddy told me. That they filmed exterior shots of The Cathedral of Learning for the film. Perhaps Ill edit out that entry just in case I am wrong. Also I completely forgot about Sudden Death, that is one of my guilty pleasures.

@Solo4114 - yup you are correct about Transformers 2. The scenes in the movie that are in Paris at the cafe were filmed in Rittenhouse Square, the scenes when they first get away and are hiding out in the yard was filmed at Eastern State Penn, and the frat party was filmed at U of Penn (im actually 2 to the right of Shia in that scene),....all of the other school shots were filmed at Princeton Univeristy, including the classroom scene with Rainn Wilson

I'm a dork when it comes to this stuff. I just sit and make lists of movies i can think of filmed in PA or i'll sit and list voice actors from anime/cartoons and what they did lol. i like to try and ID the actors. Hopefully more movies get made here, lord knows western PA could really use the cash the crews bring in. I wish i could raise the cash to make one around here, like i said its perfect for independent films, low budget movies (not as low budget as my cousin makes over in Youngstown) or post apocalyptic. I'd list my cousin's films since he's 5 minutes into ohio but unless you like no budget horror films none of you would have heard of them lol.

I have a few more, I asked my girl last night this is what she came up with:

Unbreakable - dunno how i forgot this one
Marine - used shots of the art museum in Philly
Taps - Valley Forge Military School
Mannequin I and II- was filmed on Market St in Philly at the Macy's but it used to be called the John Watermaker Center
The Lovely Bones - Malvern, Norristown, and Valley Forge PA
The Wrestler - had a few scenes in Philly but mostly filmed in NJ
Invincible - Have no idea how I forgot this one

Slapshot with Paul Newman was filmed in Johnstown.
The house in the woods in that movie is where I grew up.
I stayed home from school to watch them film that day.

Also the Tom Cruise high school football movie was filmed in Johnstown.

Mike

Jack Reacher, too.

Didn't realize so many people were from the area. Parents are from Pen Hills and Verona. I lived in Churchill briefly.I miss the cinamon rolls from the bakery in Oakmont thinking of the area :)

The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh - 70's movie about a pro basketball team that basically rejuvenates the city. Starred Dr J amongst others IIRC.

No one said The Dark Knight Rises? Almost the entire 2nd half of the movie was filmed in Pittsburgh.
Anyone remember Gung Ho with Michael Keaton ( Pittsburgh native).

Love Gung Ho. One of my favorites.

Wonder Boys was filmed in my buddy's neighborhood. He was an extra in the party scene.

Wow I forgot all about this thread. I remember my friend being annoyed during Dark Knight Rises as her bus route got really messed up lol. I remember KDKA covering them filming "The Road" in pittsburgh and erie too. Apparently parts of PA are used all the time and you never hear about it much. Honestly parts of PA would be good for post apocalyptic movies too as there's tons of open space and abandoned farms. Not to mention up north by Franklin/Oil City looks alot like Raccoon City and the Arklay mountains from resident evil.

They will be filming Mall Rats 2 at the Exton Square Mall

It was supposed to be filmed at the Granite Run Mall but fell through due to the owners/township wanting too much so Exton offered instead to keep it in the area

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back