Movie theaters playing older movies

My dad was talking about drive in theaters when this stuff started. We only have one still around my area that I know of. If they made some improvements in sound I could easily see it coming back.

My sister got a job at a theater right before and she worked a couple weeks and then they shut down. I think it's Rave Cinemas. They are supposed to open somewhat in July.

BTW, Disney if you're listening, if you want to make up some of that money from shutting down your parks, it would be cool to put the OT and Prequels back in theaters!

Never seen a movie in a drive in. Although I've seen a lot will have you tune in the radio to a chanel that has the audio to it goes through your own car stereo, which would be good if you had pretty nice speakers......or maybe parked next to someone who did.

Got a chance to see Temple of Doom tonight. Man, what a ride. I have always considered it the worst of the three (there are only three) Raiders films, but I enjoyed it so much. Unfortunately I missed Raiders by a week, but they’re about to start showing Last Crusade tomorrow, which I’m very excited for.

Sounds amazing, seeing some of these older films again.
Well, here's the thing I live in Sweden"Covid-19 central!! oh no!"-not really no. No one I know personally have been infected.

There's really only one big theater chain in Sweden. They show a single "classic film" once a month - only in the capital city, Stockholm. Idiots.
Currently during the corona pandemic, movie theaters have remained closed. A very few select have opened just this week.

Just checked and among the few films that will be screened here are a few hits from last year like Joker and 1917. And older ones like the whole Nolan Batman trilogy. AND THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. :oops::love:
But, nowhere close to me :(

Got a chance to see Temple of Doom tonight. Man, what a ride. I have always considered it the worst of the three (there are only three) Raiders films, but I enjoyed it so much. Unfortunately I missed Raiders by a week, but they’re about to start showing Last Crusade tomorrow, which I’m very excited for.
I've been watching ToD, as well, these past few nights. After being away from it for so long, it really stood out to me how much George and Steven tried to make Indy a "1930's James Bond" in the opening Shanghai sequence. I still love the sequence, but Indy seemed a bit out of character from what we knew from Raiders.
The use of matte paintings as backgrounds really stands out, as well. Some are pretty bad (the village-scape when they first arrive, the shot of Pankot Palace when they get to the bottom of the stairs/walkway).

I've been watching ToD, as well, these past few nights. After being away from it for so long, it really stood out to me how much George and Steven tried to make Indy a "1930's James Bond" in the opening Shanghai sequence. I still love the sequence, but Indy seemed a bit out of character from what we knew from Raiders.
The use of matte paintings as backgrounds really stands out, as well. Some are pretty bad (the village-scape when they first arrive, the shot of Pankot Palace when they get to the bottom of the stairs/walkway).
Yeah, watching Temple of Doom and Last Crusade in theaters, I did notice that a lot of the matte paintings and stuff like that weren’t quite as good in Temple of Doom as they were in Last Crusade

My biggest problem with Last Crusade was the terrible blue screen work during the plane fight escaping the blimp. It just looked terrible, especially since they really put Ford in a bi-plane in the first one. You can really tell how fake the scene is in TLC.

My biggest problem with Last Crusade was the terrible blue screen work during the plane fight escaping the blimp. It just looked terrible, especially since they really put Ford in a bi-plane in the first one. You can really tell how fake the scene is in TLC.
It is sad how the Raiders series went from practical, real-world effects and stuntmen to green-screen and CGI for the later movies.
I can't find it on YouTube, but right after Raiders came out in '81, there was a "Making of" show on network TV that went behind how they did all of the stunts for the movie. It was awesome (at least, it was awesome as a 10-year old kid to watch). They showed how they tipped over the truck with Marion's basket in it using a telephone pole being shot straight into the ground on the under-side of the truck, Harrison being dragged behind the truck, and how they pulled off the effects for Belloq, Toht, and Dietrich after the Ark was opened.

It is sad how the Raiders series went from practical, real-world effects and stuntmen to green-screen and CGI for the later movies.
I can't find it on YouTube, but right after Raiders came out in '81, there was a "Making of" show on network TV that went behind how they did all of the stunts for the movie. It was awesome (at least, it was awesome as a 10-year old kid to watch). They showed how they tipped over the truck with Marion's basket in it using a telephone pole being shot straight into the ground on the under-side of the truck, Harrison being dragged behind the truck, and how they pulled off the effects for Belloq, Toht, and Dietrich after the Ark was opened.

I saw the same show, at least it sounds the same, and I also thought it was awesome as a 23 year old kid to watch. I miss the good old days of practical effects which will most likely never be seen again.

Was all fired up to go see Back to the Future and Raiders of the Lost Ark back-to-back tomorrow night, but just got an email this morning that the theater won't be opening. Darn!

That's a very solid list of movies.
I've always wanted to see Raiders and ET on the big screen:/
I've seen Jaws and Blade Runner oodles of times on video, but not in the theater. A grand opportunity.
And as much as I enjoy Raiders and E.T., I think I'll pass on them cause of the altering ie) color timing, CGI - ET & phones. Assuming they're showing those versions. Granted, Blade Runner has altering, but it would be an exception.

I've seen Jaws and Blade Runner oodles of times on video, but not in the theater. A grand opportunity.
And as much as I enjoy Raiders and E.T., I think I'll pass on them cause of the altering ie) color timing, CGI - ET & phones. Assuming they're showing those versions. Granted, Blade Runner has altering, but it would be an exception.

Yes, Blade Runner would be a blast watch in theater!
The wide angle shots showing the future LA are my favorite parts of the film.

The last two times I saw ET in theaters it was the unaltered version. I doubt they'd ever show the altered version again. Even Spielberg acknowledges it was a mistake.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back