Motorized iron man helmet

Mibity

I'm looking to motorized the hasbro legend series iron man helmet. There's plenty of information on motorizing self made helmets but the design of this one makes it impossible to follow any tutorial out there. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated because I really have no idea where to begin.

Attachments

• IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 619
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 436
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 314
One of the things you will have to do is cut the two slots on top to accept the servo driven face plate support levers.
Then remove the magnets holding the face plate.

Mount 2 servos facing in opposite directions on the inside top between the slots and then make 2 measured/adjustable levers to
connect to the face plate so it pivots upward.
Adjust them so it closes properly, then tighten levers securely...

Make two brackets to hold the servo motors in place.
The speed, pivot angle and servos exact location will need to be factored in.

Many servos will require some kind of microcontroller (PIC, Parallax, Arduino, etc.) to control the servos in opposite directions since they
will be mounted bottom to bottom.

Be aware, you will have to increase your battery capacity and supply voltage to around 5 volts or higher with a regulator to run the
microcontroller and 2 servos.

Post progress pictures :)

Last edited:
You do not need any 'slots'...

it really depends on the mechanical approach you want to take.. there any MANY variants out there that do not have any 'slots' cut into the bucket.

The threads posted around here.. (I have posted code and wiring diagrams in both as well).. are still valid.

In fact they are pretty much mechanical design agnostic. The mechanical set-up is up to you.

I have also like the approach done by TheRealTonyStark (Ryan Brooks).. where he has a single servo mounted under the middle piece with two arms on side to make his move.

I have the same Hasbro Helmet.. but havent had much time/motivation to work on getting it motorized.

Your first step will be the remove the magnets.

Mibity , There are many versions of this helmet being motorized. Some are more simpler then others and more accurate.
It of course depends on your abilities and how much effort you want to put into it.
Cutting slots is just one option to consider if you are mounting the servos back a bit and you want it sliding up and back.
Mounting the servo on the forehead tab is another option. Youtube shows many variations.
Whatever you decide is best for you. Looking forward to pictures and video of your version.

7Sinzz has a tutorial going

Sure does.. that I helped him with initial wiring and code..

then it transformed into more. (with more code and alternate wiring diagrams) ;)

it depends on what wiring diagram you follow to know what code to use. (it varies)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back