Announcement More minor changes.

The "Legacy" black theme is the one going away when the switch takes place. I'm pretty sure the dark/"Inverse" option of the default main design will remain, right? It would be odd to get rid of that.

I didn't like the timestamps at first, but they've definitely won me over. There was always a part of me trying to remember if I had my time and date settings set correctly. Since on other forums, I don't, forcing me to do mental math; "Okay, it says I posted that at 5:32, but it's set to GMT and doesn't detect daylight savings time...which means it could be 5:32 +/-2 hours." This just simplifies that for me. I think it was just the drastic visual change that did me in at first.

And I hadn't even noticed the lack of a rating system! I guess that says it all, really. Now that it's gone I suddenly feel the need to rate every thread! :lol

-Nick

I know it's probably too late but I would brink back the rating system and get rid of the rep system. Either that or reset the rep system.

No time like the present Dude111! :lol

I read the ban log before I came here. Said "Huh?" to myself - then saw the posts.

He'll be missed like an anal wart.

I like the new timestamps! My internal clock is so wacky, seeing "5 min ago" or "2 hours ago" is helpful. So what if it's 2 PM here, and 2 AM somewhere else? It was posted 2 minutes ago - do the math!

Of course it won't stop guys from posting "sign me up" on banned members' Iron Man helmet threads in the JY, but, well...

Someone said it earlier - as long as I can come here, learn, post and hang out with the gang, I'm happy. :D

The "Legacy" black theme is the one going away when the switch takes place. I'm pretty sure the dark/"Inverse" option of the default main design will remain, right? It would be odd to get rid of that.

The new look will still be the dark text on a light background, like our current default theme (the reverse of the Legacy theme) but it is much more subdued and much easier on the eyes. No blinding whites or harsh blacks. We feel like it is a very good in between that gives a nod to both but doesn't have the shortcomings of either.

For those who are still wanting light text on a dark background... I just don't know what to tell you. For the most part, that went out of style in the early 2000s and we have no intention of revisiting it.

The new look will still be the dark text on a light background, like our current default theme (the reverse of the Legacy theme) but it is much more subdued and much easier on the eyes. No blinding whites or harsh blacks. We feel like it is a very good in between that gives a nod to both but doesn't have the shortcomings of either.

For those who are still wanting light text on a dark background... I just don't know what to tell you. For the most part, that went out of style in the early 2000s and we have no intention of revisiting it.

You mean that all the page layouts I use on every customizable page I visit are hilariously anachronistic???

:darnkids

Welcome to the late 90s my friend... where all your webpages are dark and moody! :lol

But, but, I like my websites moody and suicidal... :cry

In all seriousness, light bg w/ dark text is an issue of eyestrain, as someone else pointed out. I often surf the web in a darkened room, and the superbrightness of standard forum skins just kills my eyes.

I'm already using the dark text on a light bg, so I'm cool with that.

I can't deal with pages with light text on a dark background at all. It hurts my eyes to the point of making my eyes water, and if I'm reading more than a small paragraph I have to manually override the stylesheet to black on white just so I can just read the text.
I don't know where anyone got the idea that it's less strain. It's torturous! :confused

Last edited:
Amen!

All for resetting the rep and sitting up some manageable guidelines for it to avoid abuse. It really should be a main forum feature, anyway.

-Rylo

I know it's probably too late but I would brink back the rating system and get rid of the rep system. Either that or reset the rep system.

Amen!

All for resetting the rep and sitting up some manageable guidelines for it to avoid abuse. It really should be a main forum feature, anyway.

-Rylo

You can take my rep if you can pry it from my cold, dead hands.

But seriously does anyone really care about rep?

I will withhold judgment until I see the final product, but it sounds like you're going with just one set look for the site, without any personal customization at all. Am I mistaken?

If not, I really hope you mean it with the use of gentler colors. Use of the "Inverse" theme isn't a matter of things going out of style and trying to hold on to it; I couldn't care less if the "Legacy" theme goes away. With the default theme as it is, on my regular screen I get a square of white surrounded by black bars. This can be killer on my sensitive eyes at night, even with room lighting and screen brightness adjusted. It can be worse when looking at a mobile or handheld device, almost like starring at a light bulb. That's why I prefer the inverse option; it's like the "night" option on eBooks.

I really hope there will be some personal options/customizations allowed to the background color or themes. You can see that people use both options, not only for preference but for health reasons. (See: 1 and 2.) I mean, there was a whole page of colored RPF test logos in the announcement thread, so I thought there would at least be an allowance of a background color choice. Even sites like Reddit and others (which it seems like we're trying to be more like) have preferences and tweaks available...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back