More Babylon 5 insignia work

19narvik40

Sr Member
A small update to my efforts making insignia for my Garabaldi Season costume. I have been working on the EA badge and rank bar worn on the left breast of the uniform. The rank bar is ready to be molded and I have some clean up work to do on the badge. The second photo shows my first pull from my EA buckle mold.

DSC04164.JPGDSC04165.JPG

I have also posted this on the RPF Facebook page. Let me know what you think.

DSC04165.JPG

DSC04164.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note on the buckle and the badge. They have a slight curve to them. The originals did not lay flat.
Also the stat bar has a texture to the center green area. Below is a picture of my original pieces.
Don't know which season you are making, but the season 1 leather pieces had brown piping on it. And the 2nd - 4th season had blue piping on it.
Sorry if you already know all this. Not trying to be a know it all, just trying to help. :)

Terry

B5CostumeAccessories.jpg

Thanks for sharing that magnificent picture !! Are they all screen used?

Looks like I got it right as far as Garabaldi's rank badge being as wide as the EA pin. I based it on information that the officers rank bar was 4 1/2 inches wide. Could you confirm that for me? It also looks like the EA badge has slight curve to it as well. Are there snaps glued to the back? That is the method I am going to use for my costume.

I was able to get a slight bend in my mold for the buckle as the resin began to set up. I also found that the resin I am using can be reformed in hot water soon after being pulled from the mold. How tall is the arc in the middle of the buckle? Thinking maybe a large plastic pail might have the right diameter to provide a good curve. I am also hoping to mix brass powder with the resin to avoid having to paint any of the pieces, I really have metal paints.

As for the piping, I did know about it for Seasons 2-4 but not Season 1. Then again I am partially colour blind and the Season 1 pictures weren't taken in the best light. I'm going to have to add that after the upcoming Con.

I don't consider you a know-it-all in the least. If anything I am eternally grateful for any information you may share here with me, it isn't easy to come by, I know I've looked. You are obviously a fan of Babylon 5 and goodness knows there are few enough of us as it is. We need to look out for and help each other for those same reasons.

best regards,
Don

Hi Don,

Yes, the costume pieces in my picture are all screen used.

As for the measurements on the stat bars, the command stat is 4 1/8 inches long and the security stat is 2 3/4 inches long. the bars are 3/8 inch wide. They used US military ribbon holders on the back of the brass piece and put snaps on the back of the ribbon holder. The brass piece that was used for the actual stat bars is a found piece, not something that they made for the show. Not sure what it actually is, I believe it is brass banding of some sort, but I don't know for sure. But I was told by the crew member that I got them from that the brass piece was a found item.

Snaps were used to hold all the metal pieces on the actual screen used costumes from season 2 on. The snaps laid flatter than velcro and looked better because the metal piece always went in the same place after the costume was cleaned each day.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with.
I do have access to screen Earth Alliance costumes, so I would be glad to help.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for the information. I had worried the measurements I found were off and now I know. The officers rank bar information I had found stated they are 4 1/2 inches long and that is what I based several other measurements on, silly rabbit that I am. My rank bar for Garabaldi and the EA badge I have made are 3 inches wide so they are a little oversized. Can't do much about that for this Con.I am also sure the security patch worn on the left arm is larger on the show than the ones commercially available. The one I have is 4 x 1 3/4 inches. How wide is the leather panel on the front of the jacket, I had it at 6 inches?

I guess I'll need to try to put together a database of measurements to keep all this stuff straight.Thank you so very much for your willingness to share this information, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Best regards,
Don

Sorry, I had forgotten to ask you earlier, could you please tell me the width of the buckle from far tip to far tip measured across the the front of the buckle? I had made mine 6 inches wide with no bend in the shape. Thank you again for your help.

Don

Hi Don,
Yes, most of the replica department patches are a bit smaller than screen used patches. The security patch should be 4 3/4" by 2".
As for the leather panel on the front of the jacket, it is 5.5 inches wide, including the trim.
PM me your email, and I can send you some pictures of a 1st season screen used jacket with measurements on the leather pieces.

As for the jacket buckle, it is 5.5 inches long and 1 1/8th inches wide.

Terry

Sorry to crash, here, but can anyone tell me if there are any good B5 uniform patterns available? Looking for the security uniform, but also the Ranger coat and the Army of Light tunic.

Thanks.

Don't know about patterns but Anovos is looking in on doing the EA Unis.

The Army of light tunic will be tough finding material for.

Always enjoy seeing Costumes for this great show

Sorry to crash, here, but can anyone tell me if there are any good B5 uniform patterns available? Looking for the security uniform, but also the Ranger coat and the Army of Light tunic.

Thanks.

doctorwholittle, I have never found any published, commercial patterns for any of the Babylon 5 costumes. There was a t-shirt type of costume top for the Army of Light, ibut I haven't seen it in awhile.

The main underlying pattern is the same for all of the Earth Force and security uniforms, the main difference would be the leather panel, cuffs and waist on the NCO/officers tunics. The pants are simply pleated dress pants, you only have to match the colours. had my Season 1 Garabaldi uniform done for me. It was supposed to be Zack's security uniform but my seamstress messed up the colour. It was close enough to Garabaldi's to save though. Still a few issues but it came out okay.
DSC04197 - Copy.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back